PDA

View Full Version : OCing P4 2.8

Tesco
11-19-03, 08:16 AM
Hi guys, im after some advice. I have NEVER oc'd any of my processors and want to know roughly what I can OC my P4 2.8Ghz 533fsb to? I would use a recogmended fan (not into fridge systems).

Malfunction
11-19-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Tesco
Hi guys, im after some advice. I have NEVER oc'd any of my processors and want to know roughly what I can OC my P4 2.8Ghz 533fsb to? I would use a recogmended fan (not into fridge systems).

What type of mobo/memory do you have?

Peace,

:)

Tesco
11-19-03, 08:21 AM
I have a Gigabyte SINXP1394 Ultra and 1024mb of Twinmos 3200 running in duel mode.

Malfunction
11-19-03, 08:38 AM
I have a Gigabyte SINXP1394 Ultra and 1024mb of Twinmos 3200 running in duel mode.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1784&p=4

You should be able to hit 150Mhz FSB easy, which should result you to a 3150Mhz speed. Mind you this is at stock voltage too. The Max thermal temp for your CPU is 75 degree's Celsius. It is *vital that you monitor your CPU temps while raising the FSB.

Some have gone as high as 3250Mhz on stock voltage. Raising the voltage to 1.55v has allowed some to hit 3.3Ghz with stock HSF mind you. :)

*Keep in mind that your Multiplier is x21. So 133 * 21 = 2793Mhz or 2.8Ghz they say. So for a 150Mhz FSB, 150 x 21 = 3150. 158Mhz FSB, 158 x 21 = 3318Mhz.

Have fun and be safe.

Peace,

:D

Tesco
11-19-03, 08:53 AM
Ooo that looks very interesting and im going to have a bash later. Thanks very much for your input.

Malfunction
11-19-03, 08:57 AM
Ooo that looks very interesting and im going to have a bash later. Thanks very much for your input.

Your welcome! :D Keep us informed of your results.

Peace,

:afro:

Tesco
11-19-03, 12:11 PM
Temps seem to be sitting around 37/38, CPU fan is at 2570rpm and im sitting at 3.13ghz and no probs at the moment. Got to admit im a bit scared it will go pop. I am using the standard Intel heatsink and fan.

You say keep an eye on the temp, is it ok checking the temp the bios?

Malfunction
11-19-03, 12:24 PM
Temps seem to be sitting around 37/38, CPU fan is at 2570rpm and im sitting at 3.13ghz and no probs at the moment. Got to admit im a bit scared it will go pop. I am using the standard Intel heatsink and fan.

You say keep an eye on the temp, is it ok checking the temp the bios?

You should have a temp monitoring program that may have come with the bundled software. Having the ability to veiw temps during game play or after running benchmarks (ie. under load) will give you accurate temps. When going to the bios to check, doesn't give a very accurate number.

If not, there are some monitoring programs out there. I will have to look, but I would be almost certain your mobo came with something to that nature.

*37/38 are great, however it is not under a load.

Peace,

Malfunction
11-19-03, 12:33 PM
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

There is one incase you don't have one. I use to use it before I got my Asus mobo. I use their Probe software.

Peace,

Tesco
11-20-03, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the link. :)

Also forgot to mention that the memory has gone up from 400Mhz to about 564Mhz Pleased with that result. Think I may go for one of them Aero fans.

Malfunction
11-20-03, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the link. :)

Also forgot to mention that the memory has gone up from 400Mhz to about 564Mhz Pleased with that result. Think I may go for one of them Aero fans.

Wow really?! That is pretty damn high actually. If you set it to DDR333, you should have better luck going slightly higher since I am nearly certain your memory is running way out of spec, this would then bring it closer to DDR400 clock ranges. Infact, if you are able to go that high, you may have a crack at setting the timmings lower. Doing this would deffinitely show more of an improvement than just with raw bus speed.

Also get this program, CPU-Z (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/5/13-5-23.shtml)

It will give you an enormous amount of information. Very usefull tool. :)

Peace,

Tesco
11-21-03, 03:11 AM
Malfunction, your a real nice helpfull chap, thanks! I could have been out with the memory timings a bit, thats what I remembered them to be....could have been wrong. I have set things back to standard at the moment as im going to order one of them Aero4 fans that cool down the processor and then see about leaving my system OC'd. I have copper heatsinks on my memory allready so that should keep them cooler. I will download that program and have a look see.

Im a total novice when it comes to memory timings. I have seen the page in the bios to change the memory but have no idea at what I should set it to.

Thanks again for your help.

Malfunction
11-21-03, 11:58 AM
Malfunction, your a real nice helpfull chap, thanks! I could have been out with the memory timings a bit, thats what I remembered them to be....could have been wrong. I have set things back to standard at the moment as im going to order one of them Aero4 fans that cool down the processor and then see about leaving my system OC'd. I have copper heatsinks on my memory allready so that should keep them cooler. I will download that program and have a look see.

Im a total novice when it comes to memory timings. I have seen the page in the bios to change the memory but have no idea at what I should set it to.

Thanks again for your help.

Hey Tesco, your welcome.

If you'd like to learn a bit more about memory timmings, Lost Circuits has a pretty good article on DDR400 performance here: http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr400/

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=236160

Just take your time and read the article. When you decide to adjust the timmings, make sure you changed the correct settings. I am currently running my memory at 2.5/3/3/6. This is the most stable timmings I can get while running at 430Mhz. I just leave them here because I am always screwing aroung with the FSB. :D

Talk to you soon, and again... you are welcome.

Peace,

*EDIT - Old pic, same timmings. The Frequency has changed... look at the sig for details. ;)