PDA

View Full Version : Opteron is picking up steam

sxotty
11-20-03, 08:36 AM
I was just thinking with SUN, and IBM both starting to make systems with them it is picking up steam. Now if Dell does one (which they have waffled on a lot) then it will really start the ball rolling, and I think the large source of revenue (remember they make much more on opterons) would lift AMD into profitable margins for once.

MUYA
11-20-03, 09:00 AM
I dunno if Dell will jump on the Opteron Bandwagan. They always seem pro intel probably because they get good deals on the Xeons/P4 Itanic! ;)

MUYA

Sazar
11-20-03, 09:52 AM
dell currently have no plans to use opterons in their servers..

they have however extensively tested them but there are existing doubts about amd's ability to meet dells demand for chips... understandable I spose given their past problems...

@ such a time these doubts are alleviated it is likely that dell will consider opteron based servers...

previously dell had not used amd cpus for mp setups since the most they could handle was a 2 way setup...

Athlon™ eX
11-20-03, 11:33 AM
IBM, Sun and HP now are making AMD64 systems...

alot of Dell users and none-users want dell to make AMD64 systems...

I know DELL have tested Athlon system and they saw some problems with these... but AMD64 are very diff. and many problemsnow goes for Intel's Prescott not AMD64...

I think DELL has signed some thing with Intel not to do any thing with AMD...

Sazar
11-20-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Athlon™ eX
IBM, Sun and HP now are making AMD64 systems...

alot of Dell users and none-users want dell to make AMD64 systems...

I know DELL have tested Athlon system and they saw some problems with these... but AMD64 are very diff. and many problemsnow goes for Intel's Prescott not AMD64...

I think DELL has signed some thing with Intel not to do any thing with AMD...

as I said... the main issues were concerning availability...

intel and dell have a tight relationship on the server side and it is likely this helps but the bottom line is the most important thing for dell... cost over-runs caused by a shortage of supply will not be conducive to the continued presence of opterons in dell's lineup I would think...

at such a time as amd can establish itself as a volume supplier of opterons... dell will take 2nd look @ whats going on...

sxotty
11-20-03, 11:53 AM
I agree with sazar, I don't think they can meet enough demand, but if the IBM, HP, Sun all start selling like mad, then I guarantee dell will try to offer an opteron solution even if it is not always in stock just so that they don't loose market share.

Sazar
11-20-03, 11:58 AM
btw.. I have 'inside' information on this :)

not just speculation... fyi...