PDA

View Full Version : AMD delays 90-nm process ramp by one quarter

Malfunction
11-21-03, 12:33 PM
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20031120S0050

SUNNYVALE, Calif. Amid a new and bold plan to build a 300-mm wafer fab, Advanced Micro Devices Inc. disclosed that it has delayed the volume deployment of its 90-nm process technology by two to three months.
AMD originally hoped to ramp up its 90-nm process in the first half of 2004, with volume production due in the latter part of the second quarter of next year, said Hector Ruiz, AMD's president and CEO.

The company now plans to move into volume production in the second half of 2004, Ruiz said. Specifically, the AMD executive indicated that 90-nm chip production would take place in the third quarter of 2004, he said.

There has been a "two or three month slip" for the volume ramp of the 90-nm process, he said during a conference call with analysts. The AMD executive also outlined the company's 300-mm plans. As reported, the company set plans to build a 300-mm, 65-nm fab in Germany. Production is set for 2006.

During an analyst conference call last week, AMD demonstrated 90-nm prototypes of its Opteron line of 32/64-bit processors. At present, AMD is producing processors at the 130-nm node. "Our yields (at 130-nm) are good," he said.

Peace,

:)

Harnagel
11-21-03, 02:23 PM
I think this was geneally already known/speculated. Hopefully future steppings of their 130nm process will allow them to go to 2.6Ghz, if this is the case I don't think 90nm in Q3 will be too big of a problem.

Malfunction
11-21-03, 03:42 PM
Nor do I. :)

You guys have got me so involved into what AMD and Intel are doing that I can't help to want a freaking A64 now...lol. :D So I really hope production doesn't slow too bad as I want the prices to drop so I can play around with one myself.

Peace,

sxotty
11-21-03, 04:12 PM
BOOOOO! *shakes fist* BOOOOO!

Well like was said everybody expected but too bad.

edit:
According to this it may all be a big mistake heh... journalism in action.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12800

Viral
11-21-03, 08:23 PM
AMD already showed on their roadmap update earlier this month that 90nm would start 2H '04... the original story only showed that volume 90nm production would be 'delayed' to this time.. that is volume, so 90nm could be shipped in volume similar to todays A64 FX earlier than 2h '04, which would be ahead of schedule.

And as shown above this could also be a big misunderstanding ;D

To me this was more of just a confirmation that 90nm production would only reach volume in 2H '04.. not a delay at all, the delay was earlier this month and even that wasnt breaking any 'official' date AMD set.

Dazz
11-22-03, 03:38 AM
From what i've seen every company has had problems with .09m.

Malfunction
11-22-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
From what i've seen every company has had problems with .09m.

Can't deny that statement either myself. Ofcourse the analyst are getting their info from the presidents of the companies, isn't that right Viral? ;) Ahh, I believe it took just as long to go 15m to 13m. They will get it soon enough.

Peace,

Dazz
11-22-03, 09:56 AM
Only nVIDIA really had problems with .13m others had a decent transaction to it. Nut .09m is extreamly small that no ones mastered it.

Malfunction
11-22-03, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Only nVIDIA really had problems with .13m others had a decent transaction to it. Nut .09m is extreamly small that no ones mastered it.

Got mixed up, I meant .18 to .13

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001nov/bch20011130009096.htm

Peace,

Viral
11-22-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Malfunction
Can't deny that statement either myself. Ofcourse the analyst are getting their info from the presidents of the companies, isn't that right Viral? ;) Ahh, I believe it took just as long to go 15m to 13m. They will get it soon enough.

Peace,

As i said this was just a confirmation. AMD already listed on their roadmap earlier this month that 90nm was a 2H '04 'product'.

Besides, when did i say negative information from a president of either company wasnt reliable? This 2h '04 date isnt relaible, but the delay on a whole is.. that is a completely different matter and i never disputed this fact at all. It's all about broad statements and not to broad ones. Of course statements about a delay from either president are reliable, what date they push back to isn't so reliable.

Viral
11-23-03, 03:58 AM
No 90nm delay (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12802)

There, there is no additional delay to the 'delay' that became apparent with AMD's update of their roadmap earlier this month.

See why looking into what a president of such a company says can set you off track. Usually what they say is just what they want people to hear, it really isnt a great resource for positive information, only negative. Even then, as seen with this scenerio, the information 'gathered' can be misleading.

Sledge
11-23-03, 09:29 AM
The 90nm transition will be a big deal. The A64/Opty will only dissipate 45W while the 90nm Intel Prescott will dissipate 100W+! I hope it hasn't been delayed.

Dazz
11-23-03, 03:34 PM
Yeap if it's indeed true that they will disperse 45w aka half of what they currently do then they can be a real threat more so due to it's peformance - MHz ratio. Intel needs more MHz to be compeditive which is a down side as they will need more power and create more heat. The Extra 1MB cache will make it alittle more compeditive with the Athlon 64 and who knows what SSE3 will do, that and HT2?