PDA

View Full Version : Quadro 380 xgl

tcsteve
11-23-03, 01:37 PM
Need some advise, I have been to the dark side for too long, (ATI) sorry, I just came across an Nvidia Quadro 380 xgl 64meg.....for free, pretty good deal I thought. Anyway, I have driver version 5.2.1.6 for WinXP Pro, is this the best for general use? XP installed this driver I guess from Windows update as I had not downloaded anything from Nvidia's site. I downloaded the most recent I could find at Nvidia.com but when I tried to update the driver XP informed me that my current driver was newer. I have not used an Nvidia card since I had a first generation GeForce, from what I can tell this free Quadro is an improvement over the ATI Radeon 8500 I was using. I don't play any video games much, just watch DVDs and do a lot of Photoshop. Did I make the right decision? Should I go back to the ATI? since this Quadro is designed for Open GL mostly? or am I wrong about this? My days are spent exploring the depths of Windows Active Directory and Exchange server, I need help here. Thanks

GlowStick
11-23-03, 01:40 PM
Well if you dont play video games truthfully 2d on them is probly about the same. Id use the quadro my self because of the better quadro drivers. But i dont think for what you use there will be much of a diffrence.

Uttar
11-23-03, 04:41 PM
A quick look at the .inf files of the drivers tell me this:

NVIDIA_NV18.DEV_018B.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL"

That means the Quadro 380 XGL is a DX7 chip; the 8500, however, is a DX8.1. chip...

If you don't play games, that shouldn't matter, but both on the performance and feature POVs, your 8500 was superior. I assume the 380 would beat the 8500 in workstation tools and benchmarks though; but I assume you don't use these?

When it comes to 2D quality, I've got no idea, although maybe since it's a workstation card the 380 has better IQ; just speculating there.

Uttar

The Baron
11-23-03, 04:44 PM
keep the Quadro if you don't play games. probably better for Photoshop as well.

tcsteve
11-23-03, 06:12 PM
The 2D quality is better in some respects and not quite in others. I really love the drivers that Nvidia has how (They have come a long way from the old Det 2.0 I used long ago) They offer some unique color settings that are nice for image work, I watched a DVD and the color was much more vivid (although a little saturated) than the 8500, but I like it, the only area I see where the ATI is slightly better is text is a little sharper at my normal resolution of 1280x1024x32 @100hz, but this is very hard to see. The thing I like best, changing nothing but the video card has made an improvement in my old computer, for all intents a purposes Windows runs better- IE opens faster, most all dialog boxes seem to have lost the latency, just the little things that make a PC "seem" faster. So overall, I am quite pleased with my free upgrade. Thanks for the imput.

tcsteve
11-23-03, 06:18 PM
This card came from an HP dual Xeon (intel 7502) workstation, the user was upgrading video adaptors (to what, I'm not sure) but it has no fan on the card, the Workstation had a large elaborite ducting system with a 120mm fan to cool the memory and AGP slots. Should I try to cool this unit given the limited load I will put on it? The box stays up 24/7.