PDA

View Full Version : CPU temperature

Matthius
11-23-03, 10:50 PM
i recently bought this (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm) cpu fan and my cpu temp is around 50 degrees C on average. should it be lower than this? oh and it is summer here, and its pretty hot...bout 25-33C on average.

MUYA
11-24-03, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Matthius
i recently bought this (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm) cpu fan and my cpu temp is around 50 degrees C on average. should it be lower than this? oh and it is summer here, and its pretty hot...bout 25-33C on average.

What type of CPU are u running 1st Question? What mobo? Maybe u need a new BIOS to correct the temp readings? Is the 50 degrees at idle or running stuff?

Maybe you need to get some performance thermal compunds like Artic SIlver etc?

The temp really depends on if you o/c'ing or not etc.

MUYA

Matthius
11-24-03, 01:41 AM
mobo: jetway polaris 400
cpu: amd athlon 2400xp
and thats idle and its on its stock speeds. the fan came with a temperature meter that goes under the cpu, but i didn't install it yet cause i couldn't be bothered. i have some thermal grease crap, but it probably needs more.

MUYA
11-24-03, 02:29 AM
mobo: jetway polaris 400
cpu: amd athlon 2400xp
and thats idle and its on its stock speeds. the fan came with a temperature meter that goes under the cpu, but i didn't install it yet cause i couldn't be bothered. i have some thermal grease crap, but it probably needs more.
Ya mate probably you should lob in a dab more thermal grease, but u have to remember, not all thermal grease are made equal. Still your cou is running rather hot. I have a 2800+ running 3200+ speed (2,2GHz) at 200mhz fsb and it's idling at 40 degrees C. But i do have a 1 pound copper block in the SK 900A on top of it with a delta blowing on top of it. See what happens when u add a lil more grease.

MUYA

Matthius
11-24-03, 03:04 AM
i guess i'll go out and buy some good quality stuff. whats a good brand for thermal grease? i'm just using the one that came with the volcano 11+.

MUYA
11-24-03, 03:55 AM
i guess i'll go out and buy some good quality stuff. whats a good brand for thermal grease? i'm just using the one that came with the volcano 11+. Generally Artic Silver stuff is regarded highly. I only use Artic Silver Ceramique so its not as good as the silver stuff

http://www.short-media.com/article.php?123.0

Check that for a artic silver 3 vs artic silver 5

Hope that helps

sxotty
11-24-03, 09:08 AM
Muya I saw reviews that said ceramique was better than the silver stuff (at least up to AS3)

Gator
11-24-03, 09:36 AM
ArticSilver3 is good stuff, but you may also need more case fans in your PC. Good air flow can make a tremendous difference on CPU temperature. I switched from a tight midtower with 60x60 fans to a full size tower with 80x80 fans, and my avg CPU temp lowered by about 10C :)

My current avg CPU temp, about 34C ;)

MUYA
11-24-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by sxotty
Muya I saw reviews that said ceramique was better than the silver stuff (at least up to AS3)

Well then dude, that means I got the better stuff for a cheaper price :D hehehe

The artic silver 3's and 5s are way too expensive ;)

MUYA

MizuChi
11-25-03, 11:26 AM
i wouldnt say AS3/5 is that expensive.. considering the temps u lose when u use it..
i`m using AS3 and my cpu`s running at 34C idle (while i`m typing this) with an SLK800U on it.. it`s oc`d to 10x215=2150MHz with stock vcore (1.65v)..
like Gator said, get better case airflow.. that way ur rig can get all the fresh air it needs.. plus 60x60 fans are crap and arent worth it.. use at least an 80x80.. remember, more air pressure=better temps.. have at least 2 intake fans to 1 exhaust fan.. i have 3 intake and 2 exhaust.. all are controllable via fan controller (damn these things are useful at night)