PDA

View Full Version : Fallout

Matthius
11-24-03, 06:42 AM
i've got a question for you people out there that like fallout and have windows xp. i have this problem that is really buggin me. it loads good, sounds perfect but every now and then, the whole screen goes black, then when i move the mouse, i can see again were the mouse has gone. like a trail. but it keeps coming back and its really annoying. the black only goes away when something in that area moves. any ideas?

Edge
11-24-03, 08:33 AM
Hmm, maybe try turning on Compatability mode. I've seen the issue you're describing before, but I'm not entirely sure if there's any other way to fix it. Have you made sure that all other background programs are shut off? Sometimes if a program tries to "take over" the screen while playing the game it can cause some wierd artifacts.

eL_PuSHeR
11-24-03, 04:35 PM
Edge is right. I remember i had to use compatibility mode (win98) to play Fallout 1 under WinXP.

DaveW
11-24-03, 11:19 PM
you could try turning your hardware acceleration down a notch too.

Greg
11-25-03, 04:36 AM
I have had exactly the same effect before. It used to mainly happen during the install program though, not the main game. I think different video drivers fixed it.

By the way, believe it or not, I finished the game for the ninth time a few weeks back. My plans went to ruin though. I was planning to play it brain not brawn style and not kill anyone, then I accidently forgot to holster my weapon in Junktown, then saved my game.... well, I had to kill all the cops in town after that, and had a very negative vibe with the local law, so I joined the gangs instead, but double crossed them to get back on the side of the law. At then very end, I didn't have enough charisma to talk the evil dude out of his evil plan, so I had to pop some smart pills and spend some character points so I knew what to say. Was still fun. Looking forward to playing it again sometime.

Matthius
11-26-03, 01:05 AM
HOLY CRAP!! you can actually talk that fat blob master dude into not taking over the world?!?! :eek: are you sure? oh and thanks for the tips. compatability modes made no difference at all. but what i did do was install the dos version, and download this sound for dos driver or some rubbish like that called vdms. it works almost perfect, but sometimes if freezes for a few seconds, then goes really fast for about the same amount of time. the most annoying version about the dos mode is when i put combat speed it only goes normal speed .:( i guess i'll try those suggestions now...oh and when you think about it, this is gotta be the best game i've ever played. it has the biggest replay value i've ever seen. i was in a fallout forum not to long ago askin about this problem and some guy claims to have finished the game from start to finish a few hundered times.

eL_PuSHeR
11-26-03, 01:08 PM
Then go to Fallout 2. It's even better.

Greg
11-27-03, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR
Then go to Fallout 2. It's even better.

I only played Fallout 2 through twice. It was certainly a lot 'free-er' and larger, but I love the tight, condensed story line concentrated in the few locations in Fallout.

eL_PuSHeR
11-27-03, 12:29 PM
I would also recommend Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Did i spell it properly?. You'll love it.

Matthius
11-28-03, 03:47 AM
hmmm....i got the windows version to work somehow. it just eventually stopped doin the black screen thing :S