PDA

View Full Version : Problems with FX5900 Ultra

Pages : [1] 2

garyburrell
11-24-03, 11:48 AM
I have only had my 5900 Ultra for a couple of weeks, and so far have only played "Broken Sword, Sleeping Dragon" & "The Thing".
The problem I am having is the games stutter every couple of minutes with the sound and graphics trying to catch up. This happens even in the options menu.
I have tried turning off most programs that are running in the background, including antivirus but it makes no difference.

I have a pentium 4 2.4 processor
1gb of memory
driver is version 52.16

I have not changed any of the default nvidia settings as not sure what to change! Any advice would be very welcome.

Rob_0126
11-24-03, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by garyburrell
I have only had my 5900 Ultra for a couple of weeks, and so far have only played "Broken Sword, Sleeping Dragon" & "The Thing".
The problem I am having is the games stutter every couple of minutes with the sound and graphics trying to catch up. This happens even in the options menu.
I have tried turning off most programs that are running in the background, including antivirus but it makes no difference.

I have a pentium 4 2.4 processor
1gb of memory
driver is version 52.16

I have not changed any of the default nvidia settings as not sure what to change! Any advice would be very welcome.

Without knowing anymore, Id 'guess', it's swap file thrashing, or some kind of video memory problem.

Hard to day really, how bout some more info on your system, and settings?

Robert

garyburrell
11-24-03, 07:02 PM
Thanks for replying...

Whats swap file thrashing?

Not sure what info to put, if I am missing out something let me know,

IC7-Max3 motherboard
Windows XP Pro SP1
Audigy 2 Soundcard
All settings for NVIDEA driver at default
Graphics driver installed after using drivecleaner

Really grateful for your help!

Gary

AthlonXP1800
11-24-03, 07:34 PM
What Audigy 2 driver version you use now and did you ever tried defrag the hard drive since shuttering?

Rytr
11-24-03, 07:59 PM
Have you installed the latest Intel INF drivers available on Abit site for the IC7 (Intel INF Update v5.00.1015) ?

garyburrell
11-25-03, 06:15 AM
Thanks for trying to help guys, much appreciated.

AGP ap. size was already set to 128M.
Have tried changing AGP to 4x - no difference.
AGP type settings are enabled.
Have installed the latest Intel INF driver v5.0.2.1003 - no difference.
Audigy 2 driver is 5.12.1.383.

Sorry for my ignorance (but I am keen to learn and picking it up fast), but can someone explain:
What is coolbits?
Where do I turn fast writes on & off?

What is frustrating is the games worked like a dream for a couple of days after first installing them, and then this problem arose but I did not change a thing on my setup.
Strangely, I installed "Silent Hill 3" last night and that seems to work ok. No stuttering at all. I could understand it if the problem was consistent.

Rob_0126
11-25-03, 08:56 AM
Didn't someone on this board, mention that the 5900's had stutter problems, because of excessive framerate? :confused:

(excessive framerate shouldn't be a bad thing :) )

Robert

sandeep
11-26-03, 08:57 AM
The Ultimate thing is formatting and installing the drivers clean. Give your Fx 5900Ultra a nice clean plate. Then see how it performs.

make sure to install latest motherboard driver...ALSO your Audigy drivers....creative.com and click for autoupdate.

If you have logitech keyboards etc and other peripherals install latest drivers.

I'd suggest downloading the new drivers burn it so that you have it ready when you're installing clean. Thats how I do. And till date I have had no problems...look at my system specs also included is wireless Head phones..Dynamic Microphone, Wireless Logitech Duo mouse and keyboard, logitek force feedback joysticks.. And games like Battlefield,Callof Duty,NSF Underground, Hotpursuit, AOM,Command and Conquer Generals, Flight simulator, Halo.

No problems whatsoever.

Its amazing how these drivers can cause hell lotta problems.

I haven't touched my Ultra settings. Everythign is at default. I had a bit of fun onces overclocking and now its bac to normal.
ChEERS

garyburrell
11-26-03, 09:06 AM
Thanks Sandeep.

I am now on a mission to update everything. Already updated motherboard drivers (at least I think so, there does not seem to be any reference to AGP drivers on the Abit website for the motherboard I have-has anyone got any ideas on this?)

bkswaney
11-26-03, 02:08 PM
I would throw the CL Audigy in the trash if I were u.
They are nothing but a pain in the @ss.

I'll never buy a CL soundcard again.

Skuzzy
11-26-03, 02:16 PM
The Audigy 2 is a nice card BKS. I have not had any problems at all with it, but I do not load up the CL apps either. Those will muck up a system quickly.
I hated the Live cards. The overhead was outrageous, the DX drivers did not expose any hardware buffers at all! CL seem to finally get a clue with the Audigy2 and later.
Now, if you have a VIA based mommboard, I would run, not walk, away from any CL card.

Line01
11-26-03, 03:36 PM
Didn't someone on this board, mention that the 5900's had stutter problems, because of excessive framerate?

I gotta go with Rob on this one That makes Nvidia's FX 5900 cards the first to break the sound barrier.:clap: :D

Rob_0126
11-26-03, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Line01
I gotta go with Rob on this one That makes Nvidia's FX 5900 cards the first to break the sound barrier.:clap: :D

:jammin:

Robert

garyburrell
11-26-03, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can update the AGP drivers for my Abit IC7-MAX3? There is no mention of these drivers on their website.

garyburrell
11-26-03, 07:04 PM
Thanks OWA. I didnt realise the INF file updated the AGP.

Malfunction
11-26-03, 07:11 PM
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6536/ENG/relnotes.htm

That is the release note(s) for the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility 5.0.2.1003, which are the latest.

Here is the update: 5.0.2.1003 update (ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6536/eng/infinst_enu.exe)

Incase it wasn't the latest. :)

Peace,

:)

garyburrell
11-27-03, 02:40 AM
Cheers for that, Malfunction.
I checked my system and it was the latest version I installed.

The Punisher
11-27-03, 11:24 PM
As far as swap file trashing is concerned, since u have 1GB of RAM u can basically disable the whole swap file thing entirely & run games fully on RAM alone. Just click on System in Control Panel, look for Virtual Memory & set it to No Page File. FYI a swapfile is a "huge" file on your HDD that Windows reserves for use as additional RAM when your memory usage exceeds the amount of physical RAM installed in your PC. So the term "swapfile trashing" means that Windows is using this swapfile to store your application's/game's temporary data when u've maxed out of physical memory. If your HDD is fragmented chances are this swapfile is also fragmented making it rather difficult for Windows to keep track of all of this temp data that it has stuffed throughout this fragmented swapfile & thus your HDD's read/write head is "trashing" all over the place reading & writing all the temp data. Get it? By disabling the swapfile u're forcing Windows to work within your physical memory & u'll likely have little to no HDD activity at all when u play games!

Rob_0126
11-28-03, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by The Punisher
As far as swap file trashing is concerned, since u have 1GB of RAM u can basically disable the whole swap file thing entirely & run games fully on RAM alone. Just click on System in Control Panel, look for Virtual Memory & set it to No Page File. FYI a swapfile is a "huge" file on your HDD that Windows reserves for use as additional RAM when your memory usage exceeds the amount of physical RAM installed in your PC. So the term "swapfile trashing" means that Windows is using this swapfile to store your application's/game's temporary data when u've maxed out of physical memory. If your HDD is fragmented chances are this swapfile is also fragmented making it rather difficult for Windows to keep track of all of this temp data that it has stuffed throughout this fragmented swapfile & thus your HDD's read/write head is "trashing" all over the place reading & writing all the temp data. Get it? By disabling the swapfile u're forcing Windows to work within your physical memory & u'll likely have little to no HDD activity at all when u play games!

You know, Ive thought about switching off the swap file, but I only have 512MB. Maybe If I get up to 1 gig, I might do it.

I think part of the reason hard drives crash, is that they are accessed by windows way too much.(and people that move their pc or jar it, while it's running)

Robert

garyburrell
11-30-03, 08:06 AM
a further query i need advice on please:

in the device manager properties for the graphics card the location is shown as "PCI bus 1" although the card is in an agp slot.
is this normal or is something wrong?

Rob_0126
11-30-03, 08:30 AM
Do you have another video card installed?

Do you have an integrated video card?

Robert

garyburrell
11-30-03, 09:57 AM
i have no other video card installed. Not sure what you mean by integrated.

garyburrell
11-30-03, 10:33 AM
Sorry to be so thick..no, i do not have an integrated card

Rob_0126
11-30-03, 11:33 AM
Could you get a screen snip of the device manager screen, showing this?

Also, as a small point, PCI bus 1, I believe shares bandwidth with the AGP slot, so somehow, this is linked, but is odd.

More specs, more info would be helpful.

Robert

sandeep
12-01-03, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by garyburrell
a further query i need advice on please:

in the device manager properties for the graphics card the location is shown as "PCI bus 1" although the card is in an agp slot.
is this normal or is something wrong?

Hey there, check your BIOS and see if the video card is "AGP VGA" and not "PCI VGA"

Cheers