PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Lx?

RobHague
11-24-03, 09:06 PM
I was having a look round at various graphics cards today, im upgrading my PC you see to a P4 and doing my graphics card in the process (nothing fancy, my budget it tight) and i saw a Leadtek had some Nvidia Geforce FX 5900's for an incredibly low £150. The catch is that they are branded 'LX' and on closer inspection they use 2.8ns memory (the standard 5900 has 2.2ns) and 700mhz Mem Frequency, as opposed to the standard 5900's 850mhz.

You think thats still a good deal? Any reviews out there? Im just wondering how well these overclock as Leadtek have mentioned in the product overview that it has hardware monitoring ect for increased overclocking potential. It does look quite swanky too.

This is it btw - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=55346

Any thoughts?

My other options were a 5700 Ultra or 5600 Ultra depending on how much extra cash i can raise. :)

ragejg
11-24-03, 09:16 PM
Heh, those cards are still IMO plenty powerful... My review unit's one of those (a creative 3dBlaster5 FX5900), and @ 425/750 it pulls VERY respectable benchmark scores, and performs great with high levels of AA and AF... It's no slouch at all... ...!!!WORTH IT!!!

RobHague
11-24-03, 09:21 PM
Im not sure if the core is clocked down or not, but im just wondering how much leeway u can get out of these and if they can actually get back upto 850mhz :)

bkswaney
11-24-03, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Im not sure if the core is clocked down or not, but im just wondering how much leeway u can get out of these and if they can actually get back upto 850mhz :)

No but u can get back up to aroud 800 or so from what I've heard. Not bad at all for the money. :)

RobHague
11-25-03, 06:06 PM
Iíve unfortunately found that my budget wont spread for the 5900 :( so im going to have to aim a tad lower or I will have to cut back in other areaís (like CPU/Mb).

I have narrowed it down to two choices, 9600XT, 5700 or 5900Ultra. They all fall in the £120-£130 price range. As much as it pains me I cannot go over that as im already quite over budget as it is and i have to draw a limit somewhere.

Out of those three cards which do you think is the best value for money? They are going to be paired with a 'Springdale' board and a 2.6ghz P4 (800mhz FSB).

Ta

cthellis
11-25-03, 07:31 PM
I have narrowed it down to two choices, 9600XT, 5700 or 5900Ultra.

You have a 5900 Ultra in that price range? Why are you even debating the matter? Is it made by "Jojo's Grill, Garage, and Video Cards" or something? :p

Considering your first line, though, I'll assume that's a typo for the 5600Ultra. ;) In this case, the 9600XT is by far the best option.

Of course since your "two choices" are three cards, methinks you might want to slow down and make sure you're saying what you want to say. Perhaps provide links. :D

john19055
11-25-03, 07:32 PM
If you found a 5900ultra that cheap then that would be the one to get.

Malfunction
11-25-03, 07:48 PM
That is funnier than ****! You guys will franticly recommend a 5900Ultra in a heart beat over a 9600XT, but hesitate on a 5900 Non-Ultra. I can understand if the person doesn't know how to overclock, but gesh... isn't that what this forum is for? To provide info on how to do great things (like saving money and getting great performance) with Nvidia products?

Funny... ;)

Peace,

:cool:

RobHague
11-25-03, 07:51 PM
Yeah it was meant to say 5600Ultra, not 5900Ultra. Obviously if a 5900Ultra was £120 i would be snaping their hands off ;)

cthellis
11-26-03, 01:50 AM
Mal, you spent an entire other thread firing away at no one--and certainly none of those who have responded in here now. How about you stop creating targets for yourself?

RobHague
11-26-03, 10:25 AM
Right well it was a case of the early bird gets the worm, i ventured back to ebuyer to consider ordering one of the 5900LX's and unfortunatley they had sold out and had the stock at "99 Days" and clicking on it gave the "Product Discontinued blah blah" screen. So looks like they arent getting that in anytime soon.

So i ventured back to OcUK where i bought me a P4 2.6C, Intel 865PE Mainboard and a MSI GeforceFX 5700 Ultra. For a bit more it seemed worth it, should get more overclock out of it :) Its pushed me over budget but really getting the 2.6gig P4 and pairing it with a crappy card will just defeat the purpose lol. The 5700U was £157. The 9600XT was £128 (But they had none in stock anyway).

I do know about the 9600XT and the whole debate about which is better, it was actually £20 cheaper than the 5700 too, but i should have mentioned that ive come from owning a 9600pro. Which i dont have now as i sold it to 'upgrade' and had a pre-fixed idea in my head about going back to an Nvidia based card (sorry i just prefer NVIDIA, after owning the Radeon, its nice but im just not a big user of AA/AF and to be honest i find the drivers a little clunky and i just cant wait to get an NVIDIA card back in my system :) - just my personal pref though, no disrespect to any ATI fans.)

I did consider the ATI 9600XT for a while when i realised that i wasent going to get anything from NVIDIA for the same price offering the same performance (im not cutting my nose off to spite my face ;)) but for the extra cash the 5700ultra seemed worth it.

Anyways maybe ill come back and post a bit when i get my system up and running. :D

Cheers

bkswaney
11-26-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Right well it was a case of the early bird gets the worm, i ventured back to ebuyer to consider ordering one of the 5900LX's and unfortunatley they had sold out and had the stock at "99 Days" and clicking on it gave the "Product Discontinued blah blah" screen. So looks like they arent getting that in anytime soon.

So i ventured back to OcUK where i bought me a P4 2.6C, Intel 865PE Mainboard and a MSI GeforceFX 5700 Ultra. For a bit more it seemed worth it, should get more overclock out of it :) Its pushed me over budget but really getting the 2.6gig P4 and pairing it with a crappy card will just defeat the purpose lol. The 5700U was £157. The 9600XT was £128 (But they had none in stock anyway).

I do know about the 9600XT and the whole debate about which is better, it was actually £20 cheaper than the 5700 too, but i should have mentioned that ive come from owning a 9600pro. Which i dont have now as i sold it to 'upgrade' and had a pre-fixed idea in my head about going back to an Nvidia based card (sorry i just prefer NVIDIA, after owning the Radeon, its nice but im just not a big user of AA/AF and to be honest i find the drivers a little clunky and i just cant wait to get an NVIDIA card back in my system :) - just my personal pref though, no disrespect to any ATI fans.)

I did consider the ATI 9600XT for a while when i realised that i wasent going to get anything from NVIDIA for the same price offering the same performance (im not cutting my nose off to spite my face ;)) but for the extra cash the 5700ultra seemed worth it.

Anyways maybe ill come back and post a bit when i get my system up and running. :D

Cheers

O-boy.... The ati fans are going to eat this thread up now. :angel2:

It's a sin to go back to Nvidia once you have a ATI card. "lol" :D hehehe
They will say "Upgrade" you went down not up going from a 9600 Pro. ;)

Anyway... Nice setup u have coming. It's should serve you well.
That 2.6c will overclock nice to. Mine does anyway. :)
It should be nice and stable as long as you have a good PS.
I'm a happy camper with my NV card.

Enjoy it.

Bradley

RobHague
11-26-03, 07:37 PM
Dunno about overclocking really, im actually getting an 'Intel' made i865pe :) its one of their Desktop boards, Rock Lake. The board only allows slight overclocking I believe °ts something like 4 to 10%. It was the best value though I could find, good brand and feature packed.

I will play around with the 5700U clocks though. I have a feeling that it should clock quite nice with it being a 'proper' version of the 5700. The thing about the 5900LX/5700nu that bothered me was if they used really poor quality RAM that couldn't overclock ect.

I had a brush though the reviews of the 5700U btw before making my choices and I really don't see the need to choose the radeon over the geforce anymore. No squabbles needed :) Either are great. Thing about the FX line is the possibility of enhanced performance with ForceWare. The code optimization looks like it has great potiental. After using NVIDIA for so long and trying ATI, I feel that ATI is a nice alternative but im just a lot happier with NVIDIA kit. :) Guess its kinda a change from the "Ive seen the light, long time NVIDIA user moves to ATI" kinda threads ;) I should make one "Ive seen the light, long time NVIDIA user moves to ATI.... then back to NVIDIA again" lol.

Incidentally, does the 'Dusk' demo requite a 5900 or can it be run on the 5700/5600 etc class cards too?

EDIT - Seems im having one of those weeks ;) They ran out of stock of my 5700Ultra.... so i checked on their site and what did i see? A 5900LX for £174.... snaped it up :D