PDA

View Full Version : Am I like the only person unimpressed with CoD?

Pages : [1] 2 3

saturnotaku
11-25-03, 09:42 PM
The Call of Duty demo came on my Maximum PC CD this month. I figured I'd install to see what all the hubub was about. After a couple runs I left completely underwhelmed. It's another WWII shooter game based on Quake technology...yay. <yawn>

I don't know. I guess I should stay away from team-based games. I hate "working" with other people in this environment.

Everyone else who loves this game, more power to 'ya. But I'll be spending my time playing something else though right now I have absolutely no idea what that will be. :|

jAkUp
11-25-03, 11:53 PM
i thought it was pretty good.. but i really didnt like the graphics too much.. i guess im just too used to ragdoll physics... lol

CaptNKILL
11-25-03, 11:56 PM
idunno, I thought it was OK, but after playing a lot of MOHAA (and getting bored with it) I didnt really see the point of CoD.... its the same exact game with slightly better graphics, more team mates (in single player) and the ability to aim the gun.

Theres only so much that can be done with Quake 3 Engined realistic WW2 shooters....

Fatman
11-26-03, 01:14 AM
I played the full version and absolutely loved it. One gripe tho that it's a bit too short. First of all, u get to play 3 sides. US, Brits and Russians. Very nice graphics and atmosphere just blew me away. It's not a realistic, tactical shooter. It's an arcadish, fast paced shooter set in WWII theme. Single player mode, tons better than MoH:AA, IMO. Multiplayer on the other hand is nothing new. In fact, I prefer DoD cause its slightly more balanced IMO. Fireup a few episodes of Band of Brothers on a Saturday afternoon, then play CoD and DoD until early Sunday morning :D

P.S DO NOT PLAY on easy level. IMO far too many games are ruined by easy play modes.

p0lish_p0w3r
11-26-03, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Fatman
P.S DO NOT PLAY on easy level. IMO far too many games are ruined by easy play modes.

You are so right !!
I finished the game on the 2nd difficulty setting and it seemed to easy. Now I play on teh hardest level and that gave me an edge over ppl playing online [this and possibly a fact that I played CS non-stop for a few years :P]

Sotos
11-26-03, 03:52 AM
The game is very good...
It has some of the best elements of MOHAA and Bf 1942

It is surely the best WW2 FPS of these year

The missions\maps are great especially the ones of the Russian side are excellent :)

Greg
11-26-03, 04:13 AM
I thougth the demos had bucklet loads of atmosphere. They felt like what I think the war would have been like... or at least what all those WW2 movies fed me. The scripting keeps the game flowing well, so long as you play along with it. If you go running off and don't activate the 'triggers' at the right time then everything stops and gets confusing. Of course heavily scripted, well designed levels take ages to make, so the game is usually quite short... Not good for the gamer who wants value for money.

Nephilim
11-26-03, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
The Call of Duty demo came on my Maximum PC CD this month. I figured I'd install to see what all the hubub was about. After a couple runs I left completely underwhelmed. It's another WWII shooter game based on Quake technology...yay. <yawn>

I don't know. I guess I should stay away from team-based games. I hate "working" with other people in this environment.

Everyone else who loves this game, more power to 'ya. But I'll be spending my time playing something else though right now I have absolutely no idea what that will be. :|

You aren't the only one. I got the full version and well....blah. I had more fun with MOH:AA and it's expansions.

Yeah, great, the computer AI plays my teammates. Joy. If I could get away with it I would kill them all at the beginning and do the missions by myself. I hate worrying about computer players.

DaveW
11-26-03, 10:27 AM
I'm playing CoD right now and love it. The game concept is nothing new, the game engine is nothing special, its just really well done. The levels designs are excellent and the scripted events of the AI characters are well thought out and immersive. I prefer it over MOHAA, which for me got boring after the Normandy beach landing.

de><ta
11-26-03, 01:14 PM
Same here, I am having a blast playing CoD right now. I am not sure about the replay value of this game, but this game has its own merits.

-#1 the sound and atmosphere is awesome
-#2 for a change i do not have to rely on winning everything by myself. It is interesting watching the *scripted* AI's flanking tactics.
-#3 when you play this game on the hardest setting, team play is crucial even with bots.
-#4 the british and the russian (especially) story campaign are very interesting.

God, I love the holidays. Nothing to do but play games and watch Naruto episodes.:D

nin_fragile14
11-26-03, 02:23 PM
I loved the demo, didn't like the full version. Every level seemed like a shooting gallery. An enemy pops up, shoot, wait, another enemy, shoot, wait, move on to next area, repeat. It has great atmosphere, but once you get past the sky lighting up and things exploding, the gameplay was no different--or better--than any of the MOH games.

Sotos
11-26-03, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
I loved the demo, didn't like the full version. Every level seemed like a shooting gallery. An enemy pops up, shoot, wait, another enemy, shoot, wait, move on to next area, repeat. It has great atmosphere, but once you get past the sky lighting up and things exploding, the gameplay was no different--or better--than any of the MOH games.

Well it is about World War 2 and in WARS people shoot each other all the time... they do not kiss each other or making a "walk in the park" or something like that

What do you expected from a War game???

The Missions is what makes these game better from Mohaa

Mohaa had only 1 excellent fight in the Campaign of Normady after that was a boring -Doom- type game (shoot everything - sabotage/destroy the final target

COD has it's best missions at the Russian missions and they are much more "smart" made from Mohaa missions

Matthius
11-28-03, 07:10 AM
moh has nothing on CoD. i played that game for the first few missions and it stunk. on the other hand, CoD was awsome. it was such a different experience compared to the moh series. the scripted ai maide it heaps better.

Smokey
11-28-03, 08:29 AM
I liked MOH, and I liked the SP of CoD, both are great games. As for the CoD MP, I dont think its anything that great, I did enjoy MOH MP more, but Im too busy playing RavenShield in MP anyways :p

nVidi0t
11-28-03, 04:59 PM
The sound effects in CoD are WAY better than those in MoH. The graphics are much improved, along with the animation and AI. Playing MoH now, it feels sticky and completely stiff. The game is also far more intense, especially during the Russian levels. On hard difficulty the game is just as intense as it gets, without ebing a quickload fest.

Clay
11-28-03, 05:23 PM
Am I like the only person unimpressed with CoD?
Mmm, like yep and fer sure and stuff...you are like, totally, the only person.

D.K.Tronics
11-28-03, 05:33 PM
I think many people are forgetting that this games uses the Quake 3 engine !!

Think about that for a second.
A four year old engine, thats still impressing users today.

I think the game is absolutely superb, and just soo atmospheric.
Who cares if everything is scripted, it's just done soo well.
The Russian Red Square level, is amazing. And makes MOH normandy beach landing, look like a summer outing in Blackpool.

The game also shows just how violent and horrific, the war was.

I love COD, and look forward to many addons.

Rogozhin
11-28-03, 11:38 PM
I am unimpressed with COD-I liked MOHAA better-and the sound in COD isn't very good-MOHAA is better (especially gunshots).

rogo

PenguinJim
11-29-03, 04:07 AM
The Call of Duty demo came on my Maximum PC CD this month.
It's bad enough when my housemate does that.

Sotos
11-29-03, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
I think many people are forgetting that this games uses the Quake 3 engine !!

Think about that for a second.
A four year old engine, thats still impressing users today.

I think the game is absolutely superb, and just soo atmospheric.
Who cares if everything is scripted, it's just done soo well.
The Russian Red Square level, is amazing. And makes MOH normandy beach landing, look like a summer outing in Blackpool.

The game also shows just how violent and horrific, the war was.

I love COD, and look forward to many addons.

I agree
i find Cod more interesting from Mohaa and it is more realistic in many ways

Anyway if you set the game graphics to EXTRA the graphics are way better from some other new games that i know. But a 256 mem graphic card is recommended :(

D.K.Tronics
11-29-03, 06:17 AM
and the sound in COD isn't very good-MOHAA is better

What utter rubbish.

The sound in COD is fantastic.
The sound of bullets, pinging off every surface, is fantastic.
The mortar 'incoming' sounds, then the explosion sounds, are incredible.
Then you have the aircraft roaring overhead, in the russian levels. Plus the excellent tanks in the same levels.
The Russian level when you are trapped inside a crumbling building, with the machine gun bullets ripping the building apart. And the tank shells smashing walls apart, is fantastic.
Then the awesome effect when a shell lands too close to you, and your hearing goes for a few seconds, is nothing short of breathtaking. Name ONE game that comes close to that effect.

I think you should visit your local doctor, and tell him about your hearing problem. ;)

saturnotaku
11-29-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
It's bad enough when my housemate does that.

Eh? :confused:

Sotos
11-29-03, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
What utter rubbish.

The sound in COD is fantastic.
The sound of bullets, pinging off every surface, is fantastic.
The mortar 'incoming' sounds, then the explosion sounds, are incredible.
The you have the aircraft roaring overhead, in the russian levels. Plus the excellent tanks in the same levels.
The Russian level when you are trapped inside a crumbling building, with the machine gun bullets ripping the building apart. And the tank shells smashing walls apart, is fantastic.
Then the awesome effect when a shell lands too close to you, and your hearing goes for a few seconds, is nothing short of breathtaking. Name ONE game that comes close to that effect.

I think you should visit your local doctor, and tell him about your hearing problem. ;)

Probably his sound card has a problem...and not his ears

I am already playing CoD for second time and the sounds are great with Eax 3 enabled :)

Rogozhin
11-29-03, 11:22 AM
Not a problem with ears or my sound system.

I run a true hi-fi 6.1 system out of my fotissimo3 and I run EAX no problem.

I'm thinking it's you guys with the crappy Klipsh or Logitech MMC setups that are thinking the sound is so good in COD.

Rogo

The Baron
11-29-03, 11:26 AM
I'm thinking it's you guys with the crappy Klipsh or Logitech MMC setups that are thinking the sound is so good in COD.
Be careful. They might get offended. After all, how could a $2500 speaker system sound better than a $300 set of Klipsch computer speakers? I mean, that's just absurd.