PDA

View Full Version : Haitian-Americans protest Vice City

Pages : [1] 2 3

sbp
11-26-03, 08:19 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/grandtheftautovicecity/news_6084645.html

Caribbean immigrants accuse Rockstar game of racism at a New York protest.

Already blamed for inspiring a killing spree and corrupting millions of youths, Grand Theft Auto Vice City is now being accused of racism. Today, over a year after Rockstar released the game, two Haitian-American community groups--the Haitian Centers Council and Haitian Americans for Human Rights--staged a protest at New York's City Hall, and urged supporters to picket the publisher's Manhattan offices.

"Grand Theft Auto [Vice City] is a cultural attack on the millions of Haitians living in the United States," said Henry Frank, executive director of the Haitian Centers Council. Frank's organization further blasted the game in a Monday press release, saying "players are instructed to kill all Haitians, who, in the video game, are stereotyped as thugs, thieves and drug dealers."

Why the Haitian-American group waited months to protest the game is unclear. For its part, Rockstar refuted the charge. "We empathize with the concerns of the Haitian community and we are giving serious consideration to them ... There was no intention to offend any ethnic group and we take these claims very seriously," said communications director James Ankner in a statement. He continued, "Some statements made by fictional characters in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City have been taken out of context," most likely referring to the murderous exhortations of the Cuban gang, the Haitian's arch-rivals in the game.

-------------
BMC! (bitch, moan, and complain)

sbp
11-26-03, 08:36 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/ny-nygame253558794nov25,0,3421813.storyState Assemb. Nick Perry (D-Brooklyn), whose district includes East Flatbush and Canarsie, with large concentrations of Haitian immigrants, expressed concern that "some people who play the game might internalize it too much and try to take it into reality."

"Many of our youngsters can pull a trigger to kill a classmate or a peer without a second thought," he said.:eek:

But wait the fun doesn't stop there...they also want it banned.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-game1126,0,2151300.storyState Sen. Carl Andrews (D-Brooklyn) said he will introduce legislation to ban the video game and examine it for any violation of state law.Councilman Miguel Martinez said the Dominican community was in solidarity with the Haitians.

Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide is holding talks with American authorities about "this new affront to the Haitian people," according to Harry Fouche, the Haitian Consul General in New York.Don't even get me started on that nut Aristide. :bleh:Attorney Sanford Rubenstein, head of a legal team representing the Haitian-American community, said he will call on federal, state and city prosecutors to "determine if this racist video game violates existing civil rights statutes and if so, take appropriate legal action immediately" against the two companies.

saturnotaku
11-26-03, 08:50 PM
Might I suggest the Haitian American groups put some of their apparently vast resources into improving life in their homeland instead of complaining about a video game?

digitalwanderer
11-26-03, 09:25 PM
So...does this mean I shouldn't be letting my six year old play it? :eek2:

NickSpolec
11-26-03, 09:53 PM
Well, you aren't "instructed to kill are Haitians". The fact is, you are encouraged to kill, well, everyone. Heh, heh. There's no racisim in that.

But, I do admit, I love to aim for the Haitians. Just like I do the hookers and the pimps and the fat people.

sbp
11-26-03, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
So...does this mean I shouldn't be letting my six year old play it? :eek2: You shouldn't play it either. You might get bad thoughts about Haitians and other groups in the game. http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/nono.gif

Nephilim
11-26-03, 10:21 PM
Wow, if this game is racist towards Haitians, it must also be racist towards, Cubans, Italians, Indians (from India) (there are some Indian pedestrians), Americans, Blacks, Asians, Europeans, and everyone else in this god forsaken world.

They're all represented in the game and they can all be killed. Image that.

NickSpolec
11-26-03, 10:27 PM
Indians (from India) (there are some Indian pedestrians),

You mean, the cab drivers :)

Nephilim
11-27-03, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by NickSpolec
You mean, the cab drivers :)

Them too...:)

thenerdguy
11-27-03, 12:55 PM
I just went and shot a Haitian because I read that.

Nutty
11-27-03, 01:12 PM
So...does this mean I shouldn't be letting my six year old play it?

Do video games have age certifications in USA?

GTA3 in the UK is a 15 certificate. Shops aren't allowed to sell it to anyone under 15.

I'm not sure what the law is regarding a parent allowing a minor to play games above their age, or films even.

But, anyway, if you were in UK, then no you shouldn't be letting your 6 year old play it.

vampireuk
11-27-03, 01:19 PM
I hardly see the games damaginga childs mind. Even kids know the difference between a game and reality, if not get off your fat ass and do some parenting:eek:

-=DVS=-
11-27-03, 03:22 PM
I did not even know there are any Haitian-American people in that game , maybe old people with paranoya think otherwise , all i see in vice city is bad people with guns , need to kill :drooling:

Some people are nuts and scammers , they hope they can get some cash from all of this SCAM , i hope they all go to jail :o

digitalwanderer
11-27-03, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
I hardly see the games damaginga childs mind. Even kids know the difference between a game and reality, if not get off your fat ass and do some parenting:eek:
Yeah, it's kind of the way I see it. My big problem is actually the language in the game since I was trying to shield my kid from cursing, but he's in public school so I figure he'll learn eventually...this way at least he knows he AIN'T to be saying it! (We have a deal, he gets to play it just as long as he never repeats the language he hears in it...it's been working well. ;) )

Blacklash
11-29-03, 04:28 PM
Hyper sensitive PC society, yay...

On a side note, why is the 'redneck mother truckers' ok, but what rockstar games is doing isnt?

PC is silly, No one is above being made fun of, or too good to be made fun of. One small goup of bad guys in a game, I am sure, is not intended to represent an entire nation. Most rational people know this already.

Nutty
11-29-03, 05:10 PM
Where theres a claim, theres blame. :)

I was gonna go on about guns n stuff, but I just know I'm opening myself up to a good flaming. Fact is, if there weren't any guns, there wouldn't be any shootings. Its about time, IMHO, that ppl in the USA were stripped of their firearms.

The Baron
11-29-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Fact is, if there weren't any guns, there wouldn't be any shootings.
You'd think so... but it's just not true in reality. People will find a way to get guns.

vampireuk
11-29-03, 05:59 PM
Where theres a claim, theres blame. :)

I was gonna go on about guns n stuff, but I just know I'm opening myself up to a good flaming. Fact is, if there weren't any guns, there wouldn't be any shootings. Its about time, IMHO, that ppl in the USA were stripped of their firearms.

As long as they are given to me :p

Nutty
11-29-03, 06:00 PM
Thats not what I said.

Meh. I can see this will get nowhere anyway, I'm out..

PenguinJim
11-29-03, 09:25 PM
Thats not what I said.

Meh. I can see this will get nowhere anyway, I'm out..
I understand and sympathise :( it was bad enough trying to convince them of stuff back when they were living in a democracy. But they're still fun :D

digitalwanderer
11-29-03, 10:05 PM
And totally off-subject, my son proudly burst into the room today rejoicing that he had killed Sonny in GTA VC and he was now boss of the city. :D

(Yeah, I was proud. :cool: )

Ninja Prime
11-29-03, 11:02 PM
Hey, it's not the games fault all haitians are drug dealers and criminals! ;)

BTW nutty, how many people died by knife/sword/spear/bow/crossbow(for you vamp) damage before guns were invented? None in your world? :rofl

PenguinJim
11-30-03, 08:17 AM
There's something waaaaaay less dangerous about a 7-year-old with a knife/sword/spear/bow/crossbow, I think. And now I'm going to do a 'Nutty' and refuse to get involved in this discussion any further :). I always kinda thought Nutty was smarter than I am, and I guess now we have proof ;).

Edit: Oh, and grats on your son's achievement, DW! My father was only mildly impressed when I completed Doom2... that kind of emotional scarring could really screw me up later on in life. If only I had a gun :(

vampireuk
11-30-03, 08:34 AM
A kid and a crossbow is a bad thing, just as dangerous as a gun.

Nutty
11-30-03, 11:30 AM
A kid and a crossbow is a bad thing, just as dangerous as a gun.

Bull****. Crossbows take time to reload.. (unless you got one of them weird japanese rapid fire ones, which I've never actually seen in real life), and are way less powerful, and harder to conceil.

I always kinda thought Nutty was smarter than I am, and I guess now we have proof .

Was that a compliment, or an insult, I dont know.. :confused:

BTW nutty, how many people died by knife/sword/spear/bow/crossbow(for you vamp) damage before guns were invented? None in your world?

While they things you mention are dangerous, they are in a completely lower league than fire-arms, and you know it. With a semi-automatic rifle, you can mow-down an entire group of ppl in seconds. Try doing that with a knife or a bow and arrow.

damnit, I knew I'd end up responding again... :D

that kind of emotional scarring could really screw me up later on in life. If only I had a gun

Lol!! Luckily for your father, guns are slightly harder to come-by around here.. ;)