PDA

View Full Version : BFG FX5900NU Problem

k3nnis
11-27-03, 01:42 AM
Hi there.

I just got the BFG today and when i plug it in i get no boot at all. Nothing on the monitor, black screen. Can't even go to bios. I have a radeon 9500 128mb non pro at the moment and it works fine. Any ideas? It booted up once with the BFG but if i turn off pc and on again nothing happens :( But if it works and if i reset the pc it still works. I just can't turn it off and on, also if i go to bios and do anything or nothing and get back out it won't boot too.
WEIRD :(
My setup is as follows:
ABIT IS7-E motherboard using Bios 17.
2 X 256 Kingston PC2700 Valueram in dual channel mode but i even tried single channel same thing.
Topower 400W power supply. I tried unplugging everything except HD no luck. I don't think its the power supply as i think it has plenty of power. I have 2 case fans though.

Any ideas guys?:) Do you think its the mainboard that is picky about the card?

Cheers.
Kenn.

ragejg
11-27-03, 02:15 AM
you did try clearing your CMOS, didn't you?

k3nnis
11-27-03, 02:25 AM
Hi.

Yes i did.
Oh i forgot to mention don't know if this will help diagnose the problem, when it did show something on the monitor the BFG FX5900NU it displayed bios checksum error. If that is of any help.
Is it because of my motherboard? Anyone running the BFG FX5900NU with Abit IS7-E?

Cheers.
Kenn.

k3nnis
11-27-03, 06:04 AM
Anyone?:)

Malfunction
11-27-03, 08:03 AM
Make sure you uninstall the ATi drivers from Add/Remove Programs, then delete the ATi driver folder that is located on your C:\, then possibly... install the 9200 as a standard vga card. After ya have done all that, install the BFG card. If you haven't tried that already. There might be ATi software lurking on your system still causing a conflict with the BFG card.

Peace,

:)

k3nnis
11-27-03, 08:59 AM
Hi Malfunction.

Thanks for that. I tried a complete reformat first. I think it still didn't post but i will try what u said:) Also in the abit bios for the agp voltage it defaults to 1.55v, and the radeon 9500 runs fine. I was wondering what should i set it to for the FX 5900NU?

One more thinkg do you think its an IRQ conflict?
Anyone here running a Abit IS7 or Abit IC7 board with BFG FX5900 or any FX5900 for that matter?

Also malfunction, withthe FX5900 i got it to boot once i don't know how but it was pure luck of the draw but the next time i shut down the PC and i turn it on again nothing is on the monitor, its orange light not green light, but everything in the case seems to be powered up.
Will deleting the c:\ati do anything to this problem? Or it won't?

Cheers.
Kenn.

Malfunction
11-27-03, 09:28 AM
Might try reflashing the BIOS or pull the CMOS battery, unplug the PSU cord, with the CMOS reset jumper on reset for like 5 minutes.

It is possible there was a bad setting in the BIOS at the flsh so instead of creating an issue it all got flashed to defaults, there is a setting in flash menu to clear CMOS, and at the flash you are never to be in aOC mode all settings are to be in Factory specs...But if it is working after you set up options then you are fine

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=29275&highlight=Checksum

Peace,

:(

*Edit - Updated some info

Malfunction
11-27-03, 09:52 AM
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2488

Also may wanna check that out. :)

Peace,

:)

k3nnis
11-27-03, 05:15 PM
Hi.

Thanks:) But it still didn't help. Whats weird is that, with the radeon 9500 it boots up but crashes in prime 95 even at stock settings. But with the FX 5900 i can't even get the monitor to go on green at bootup.

Cheers.
Kenn.

kraigc
11-28-03, 01:10 AM
looks like your card may have been DOA

k3nnis
11-28-03, 01:55 AM
Hi kraigc.

I hope its not :( I will try it in my friends pc and see how it goes. By the way in your mobo bios what voltage is the default for the AGP? For the abit IS7-E it defaults to 1.55V don't know if thats good or not, there is a selection of 1.5V.

Cheers.
Kenn.

kraigc
11-28-03, 02:54 AM
Definately try the 1.5. I believe the card should run on 1.5. I thought 1.5 was industry standard, I may be wrong. As far as mine, I have a crap bios that doesnt tell me anything, hence the reason I bought an ASUS P4T533-C.....cant wait to get it in the mail......Remember, BFG has an awesome warranty. If the card is bad, let BFG know.

Ruined
11-28-03, 06:43 AM
RMA ASAP

k3nnis
11-28-03, 07:41 AM
Hi.

bad news :( i think card is dead. I tried it on my friends PC and same thing nothing on monitor. Oh well. Do BFG send out cards fast? how long is the wait?

Cheers.
Kenn.

Spivey
11-30-03, 02:42 PM
Have you called BFG? I understand thier customer support is just about the best for video cards at least. Happens... I just wouldnt ever recommend a Gainward. Bought a Gainward from Newegg (retail box) and when I installed it to the socket the damn memory chip heat sinks fell off then I tried to run it and a small chip fried rendering the card useless and inoperable. Newegg is awesome with RMA but for reasons I won't go into I was never able to return the thing so I still have a spankin new Gainward GeForce 3 Tixx? that is fried.. heh, thought I would mention this *shrug*... BFG is revered as a high qual manufacturer with outstanding probuct support.

k3nnis
11-30-03, 06:24 PM
Hi Spivey.

Yeah i have called them and i will return it to them.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Gator
12-03-03, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by k3nnis
Hi Spivey.

Yeah i have called them and i will return it to them.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Sorry to hear about your dead card, please post back to let us all know how BFG treats you and how long your replacement takes to arrive. Be good to know in case any of us consider purchasing one of their cards too in the future.

fivefeet8
12-03-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Gator
Sorry to hear about your dead card, please post back to let us all know how BFG treats you and how long your replacement takes to arrive. Be good to know in case any of us consider purchasing one of their cards too in the future.

I've actually tried to RMA my BFG GeforceFX5900u before when I was getting some weird crashing errors. BFG emailed me back with an RMA number and Address to send it within 24 hours no questions asked. Luckily though, I narrowed the problem down to my Overclocked CPU. Downclocked it by a few mhz and then it ran fine. I'd highly recommend a BFG video card to anyone.

I, like many other BFG GeforceFX owners, did not experience the Flickering/noise problems that many people were having. That says something about what quality parts BFG used in their video cards. InFact, I can only recall 1 person who posted here about their BFG causing noise.

k3nnis
12-03-03, 07:16 PM
Hi Spivey.

I will let you know how long it takes. Hopefully not too long:) My radeon 9500 non pro is damn short compared to the BFG FX5900NU:p

Cheers.
Kenn.