PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra Help Please

StatiC
11-28-03, 12:59 PM
I've been visiting this great site for 2 years so I know where to come to get the best help with a 5900U card!

I bought a Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO based on the review from Firingsquad.com. Installation went smooth on my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and I even gave the card a power line that had nothing else connected to it (Antec 430W PSU).

When I turned it on I was shocked to hear the fans run so loud. I installed ForceWare 52.70 (beta drivers but it solves the problem with DesertCombat) and the fans quieted down some but it still was loud. I sleep in the same room with my computer which is on 24/7 and I can't have it that loud.

I also found that sometimes the text on the screen is blury and I get a chirping sound from my card. I know I've read posts on that here before but I thought that was fixed with the new drivers.

I'm thinking of RMA'ing this Leadtek and getting Leadtek's 5950U card which they say produces "lower than 28dB" of noise.

Can anyone give me some thoughts or pointers on what I should do?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Antec Performance PLUS 1080AMG w/ 430W
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe i875P
Intel P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB
Corsair XMS 1GB Twin Pack PC3200 DDR400
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA 7200RPM
Samsung SM352 DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo w/ 8MB Buffer
Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO FX5900U
Samsung SyncMaster 17" 753DF

SH64
11-28-03, 04:42 PM
hmmm .. did you read the last artical about the Leadtek /MSI 5950s shootout ?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=162

"I do however have some concerns about the cooler, as the reference design allows for the hot air from the GPU to be sucked out of the case. With the Leadtek card this is not the case and all the hot air from the GPU is being circulated back inside the case. The card is slimmer but not slim enough to allow you to fit a PCI card in the slot adjacent to it. Leadtek covers the fans on its graphics cards with a metal mesh that should prevent dust getting stuck to the fins and slowing the fan down, but if the mesh gets clogged with dust it could produce an even greater detrimental effect. "

maybe its the cooling solution or the fan needs cleaning .
also try Forceware 53.03 & see what happen . if the problem consists i advice you to return it back .

AthlonXP1800
11-28-03, 05:47 PM
Is your Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO has Leadtek twin cooler fans or Nvida reference cooler fan? Mine has Nvidia reference cooler fan, it is slience. :)

StatiC
11-29-03, 11:37 AM
SH64: It's brand new so there's no dust at all in it.

AthlonXP1800: I have the one with the Twin Turbo II cooling solution on it.

I have to say that when I say "loud" I don't mean extremely loud. I currently have a GF Ti 4400 and the fan noise is noticable but clean. The Leadtek fan is noticable with a deep fan noise present. I love a "no-noise" system and that's why the Leadtek fan noise sticks out as "loud" in my case.

I was reading GamePC's review of the Asus 9950 and I was surprised to read this: "When the nVidia stock cooling solution runs in 2D / standard mode, the cooling system nearly shuts off, and simply runs at a low-RPM which is nearly inaudible." <-- My Leadtek has a constant fan speed whether I'm in 2D or 3D mode. Again, I'm using nVidia ForceWare 52.70 so maybe the new 50.xx drivers changed the fans to run constant. I don't know :confused: If my Leadtek fans ran that way in 2D then I'd be in heaven.

I'm thinking of just getting the Asus 9950 since every review says it's the quietest fan solution for the 5900U series. Does anyone agree?

Thanks for the help!

sandeep
11-29-03, 12:49 PM
Hi there LeadTek user,

I have the exact graphics card as yours and my fan is quiet as anything. I have a xaser case with 7 fans in the case and two fans on the power supply yet theres no complains to that extent. I guess my computer sounds normal but hard to compare it from what you might be hearing.

Personal thoughts Leadteks performance is excellent. It overclocks great with stock. 552/1002. YET NO NOISE.

Cheers

FORCEWARE 52.16...have'nt tried the BETA but I doubt that would be the problem. Nonetheless you should check it out.

stefan567
11-29-03, 09:27 PM
I also have the same card as you and can barley hear the fans. Mine runs great and overclocks to 520/960.

sandeep
11-29-03, 11:45 PM
I'll agree...

The Punisher
12-03-03, 05:11 AM
But it doesn't bother me that much cuz I'm using headphones for my gaming. Luckily that I'm using headphones too cuz along with the Leadtek card I've got 7 other fans (5 in the case & 2 on the monitor) running.

Question for sandeep. Which Det are u currently using & does your mem OC value drop back to default 850MHz after a couple of reboots?

nForceMan
12-03-03, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by StatiC

I'm thinking of just getting the Asus 9950 since every review says it's the quietest fan solution for the 5900U series. Does anyone agree?

As far as I know MSI has the quietest fan solution for the 5900 series. (TwinFlow (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/values/pro_mbd_feature_memo.php?UID=25) cooling, 26db advertised noise level)