PDA

View Full Version : XIII-Sometimes different is GOOD!

digitalwanderer
11-28-03, 01:39 PM
I just got XIII and I LIKE it! :) The cell-shading works for me, as does the storyline...it's really grabbing me.

Anyone else tried it?

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 02:01 PM
Cel-shading :p

I liked the demo, might not wait until the UK release before getting it. David Duchovny is in it, as is Adam West :D did you notice? :)

AI seemed a little inconsistent, but not enough to spoil the game. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to it :)

digitalwanderer
11-28-03, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I heard that and it was the deciding argument for me to get it. I liked the demo too, but felt the cel-shading was a bit weird, but it really works well with the storyline and the way they tell it. It's a very uniquely styled game and it's kind of refreshing.

BTW-David Duchovny is the voice for XIII, who is who you play. There's also a few other well known voices in the game, but I haven't looked up exactly who yet as I have more fun guessing/don't wanna spoil the surprise. GREAT voice acting, even though that should probably go without saying. ;)

Oh, and it's easy on the system and smooth too. I'm running 1024x768 4xAA 8xAF on the 9600 Pro and am averaging mid-60s with the lowest dips to the mid-30s...and it's even smooth at the low dips. :D

Good game, solid.

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 02:12 PM
The opening of the demo screamed 'Baywatch' at me... for about 20 seconds. Did anyone else feel that? :)

digitalwanderer
11-28-03, 02:16 PM
Only for a second, after the lady gets drilled by the machine gun fire it ended that phase-o-interpretation for me. ;)

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 02:17 PM
Yup! I completely didn't expect that, was one of many pleasant surprises in the demo.

Hmmm... got nothing to do right now. Think I'll go get the full game :D

digitalwanderer
11-28-03, 02:23 PM
I don't think you'll regret it. :cool:

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 02:26 PM
Oh.... apparently it's out in the UK already. Must have sneaked onto the shelves today. I'll wait until tomorrow and buy a copy, then. Glad they've released it here in the UK already :)

And I know this has very little to do with anything, but I just remembered she existed. I HATE TEA LEONI.

digitalwanderer
11-28-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
And I know this has very little to do with anything, but I just remembered she existed. I HATE TEA LEONI.
Well, being as she's Duchovny's wife I can almost see the connection. I like her and loved her short-lived series. :)

saturnotaku
11-28-03, 02:53 PM
The complete use of cel shading is a novel idea, but the demo didn't do a whole lot for me. And the multiplayer sucks.

But hey, long as you're happy that's all that matters. :)

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I like her and loved her short-lived series. :)
That one where she was a papparazi? That's where my hatred began. Please forgive any typos because I am ridiculously drunk and mildly impressed I made it home at all. I resisted 2 cute guys and 1 cute girl. Yay me :D although to be fair i already knew one of the guys

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 10:06 PM
Sorry about that. Went mildly off-topic. There was some Paparrazi series 'starring' Tea Leoni that aired here in the UK in around 1997/1998 at around 11/12pm (back then, that was a Bad Time Slot). I watched it, of course (what else was there to do? I hadn't started drinking at that time) and hated hated hated Tea Leoni. I didn't even learn her name, just hated hated hated her. Then she was in Deep Impact (which I only 'hated' at first, after watching it 3/4 times I only 'mildly hated' it) which made me want to stamp on her neck all the more. Then she married my David. To be fair, he wasn't ever going to have any career ever again after the X-Files (which I loved loved loved for 4 series, occasionally watched for 2 more series, then would have ignored for the final 3 series were it not for the company I kept :rolleyes: ) but still. I hate Tea Leoni for her stupid face, her lame voice, her pathetic personality, her nenenenenenene. Grrrrrrrr. She's lame.

I hate that short ginger one in ER too. And I love DigitalWanderer :p

PenguinJim
11-28-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I like her and loved her short-lived series. :)
Well, maybe I only 'like' him now :p

Sotos
11-29-03, 04:56 AM
Gamespy has a review about it and and score it with FAIR (3 out of 5 stars):confused:

It says it's just a a Unreal-Fps clone game with just interesting graphics and nothing else...it says something about not having a balanced fighting system :confused:

but for KOTOR it gave 5 out of 5 stars :)
and
for Deus ex IW 4 out of 5 stars :)

NickSpolec
11-29-03, 08:53 AM
They would have been more correct in saying "It's an Unreal-FPS but with interesting graphics and an actual storyline, compared to Unreal not having any story at all. It was quite disappointing in that regards. Unreal reminded me much of Doom. Just kill stuff. That's the story. I remember becoming so bored with Unreal that I murdered a dozen or so tweakers who were in a crack-house down the street. But, I digress."

NickSpolec
11-29-03, 09:02 AM
I hate Tea Leoni for her stupid face, her lame voice, her pathetic personality, her nenenenenenene. Grrrrrrrr. She's lame.

So I guess it's correct to say you hate Tea?

I bet if we crack your computer, we will find naked pictures of some lady with Tea Leoni's face photoshopped onto them with little message bubbles saying "Screw me, PenguinJim, screw me like I was your sister"

P.S. ...................

digitalwanderer
11-29-03, 09:09 AM
Right now XIII is running a 9/10 score for me, I can't say for sure 'til I finish it though. (I HATE it when they ruin a good game with a lousy ending, I hope this has a good ending!)

I'm pretty sure I'm near the end and I gotta say this game has really got something going for it...I played it for about 14 hours solid yesterday (well, on and off as I kept taking breaks to do family stuff...but I got 14 hours in on it) and I just can't recall the last time I put that much time in on a game in one day. (I think it was Unreal2, but I didn't enjoy the time nearly as much...it was more of a "have to get thru it, it MUST get better" ordeal there.)

I'm really digging this game. The plot is intriguing me and it's paced so that I haven't gotten bored yet, and the cel-shading is still working for me in a big way with the story-telling. :cool:

The only voice that is bugging me is Adam West as he's over doing it big-time and hamming it up a bit, but it IS Adam West and he's a bit like Shatner in that regards. ;)

My only biatch is that I haven't figured out how to add my bullet-time binds yet, but it's really a minor quibble in the great scheme of things. :)