PDA

View Full Version : Good games as XMas gifts?

CaptNKILL
12-01-03, 03:48 PM
Well we all know Christmas is about giving rather than recieving, so.... what are some good games I should ask other people to give me?
:lol:

I prefer games that dont cost $40+ because thats a lot of damn money.... any slightly old or budget titles I should really look for?

The only reason Im doing this is because as of right now, there are only two games I even give a damn about:
Deus Ex: Invisible War (yeah I know the demo sucked... but the game is still going to be fun... especially after patches)
Cold Zero (just played the demo and its really fun... its only $30 too)

Besides that, there havent been any games Im really interested in..... I know CoD, Max Payne 2 and NFS:Underground are going to be recommended, but im not real interested in those (plus they are expensive as hell).

If I havent played Enter The Matrix yet, would you recommend I get that too? Its only $20 now.

I prefer adventures or RPGs with lots of action (Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Cold Zero).

Thanks for any input guys..... also, if there are any holiday buying guides out yet, Id like to check those out too :)

CaptNKILL
12-01-03, 04:04 PM
hmm... Freedom Fighters got an awesome review at Gamespot...
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/freedomthebattleforli/index.html

Although, looking at the screen shots and the price, then looking at their ratings, I get confused.... They gave the graphics a 9 even though it looks very smudgy (looks a lot like GTA3).... and they gave the value a 7 when the game only costs $20.... :wtf:

Has anyone played this game? How is it?

The Baron
12-01-03, 04:06 PM
not great. it's okay for a few levels, and then you realize, meh, that's it.

Edge
12-01-03, 04:42 PM
Well, you might want to check out some of those gamers packs that you find in stores now (especially Gamestop). Usually it'll have a game and it's expansion(s), or a couple different games for $50 or less. Like C&C Generals+expansion, the C&C pack with all the C&C games up to RA2:Yuri's Revenge, the BF1942 pack with the game+expansion, etc. They make pretty good gifts (even if it is to yourself;) ), so you might want to find one you like. I remember there was some EA gamers pack which had a few of their old games (C&C Renegade, Earth&Beyond, Freedom Force [NOT Freedom Fighters], and some other one) that was only like $12. would make a nice stocking stuffer (well, in price, not in size:p)

And Freedom Fighters is ok, but as The Baron said it's not great. Definatly fun, but it wears old quick (and there isn't much replayability without multiplayer). Though for $20 it's worth it, keep that one on your list. Enter The Matrix on the other hand...well...I'd get it for $10 but I wouldn't pay more then that (MAYBE $15 if I can't find any other games to play). Also I think it's easier to control with a pad, if you have an Xbox or something check around in pawn shops for it.

And yes, I think DX:IW will be good too, though I didn't have that many issues with the demo (other then combat, but I'm gonna see if I can get through the entire game without even picking up a weapon;))

SH64
12-01-03, 05:20 PM
i dont know what you have already but i'll list what i found cool ...
KOTOR , ROTK ,Uru ,Ford Racing 2 ,Nosferatu , Enter the Matrix , CS:Czero ,Chaser , Chrome ...

Sazar
12-01-03, 05:48 PM
XIII @ bestbuy for 39.99 right now... should be able to get same or better @ EB I think...

jAkUp
12-01-03, 08:31 PM
even though you didnt want me to.. im still gonna do it...

max payne 2:D

CaptNKILL
12-01-03, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
even though you didnt want me to.. im still gonna do it...

max payne 2:D
BAN HIM!!! PLEASE!!!
:D j\k

I really would like that game (the first one was great), but I dont see the point in spending so much on it (family's xmas budget is really tight this year.... dont ask). I get a LOT more enjoyment out of adventures, RPGs and multiplayer games. Max Payne just doesnt have much (if any) replay value.... plus Ive heard MP2 is short.... so....

I'll either borrow it from a freind or buy it when its cheaper.

UDawg
12-01-03, 10:19 PM
MP2 is way cool with how much they put into the environment but it was way too short and too easy. Definatly wait for the discount bin.

stncttr908
12-02-03, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
hmm... Freedom Fighters got an awesome review at Gamespot...
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/freedomthebattleforli/index.html

Although, looking at the screen shots and the price, then looking at their ratings, I get confused.... They gave the graphics a 9 even though it looks very smudgy (looks a lot like GTA3).... and they gave the value a 7 when the game only costs $20.... :wtf:

Has anyone played this game? How is it? Maybe it's just me, but I loved the whole thing, short as it was. That's where the 7 for value comes into play, as I'm sure it wasn't $20 at the time of review. Probably $30 or $35. As for the 9 for graphics, I was a bit puzzled by this as well. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing to write home about. It looked pretty slick on my system with 4xAA and 16xAF however. I'm sure you could run the same.

Ask for it.
Originally posted by CaptNKILL I really would like that game (the first one was great), but I dont see the point in spending so much on it (family's xmas budget is really tight this year.... dont ask). I get a LOT more enjoyment out of adventures, RPGs and multiplayer games. Max Payne just doesnt have much (if any) replay value.... plus Ive heard MP2 is short.... so....

I'll either borrow it from a freind or buy it when its cheaper. Well, Freedom Fighters is a shoot em up just like MP2, and is almost as short, so it might not be your cup of tea after all.

Vash
12-02-03, 07:22 AM
Knights of the Old Republic, definitely. :) It's on my list, and I have got my fingers crossed as hard as I dare. (I had to be pretty specific for my non-gamer relatives... I don't need to get KOTOR for the Xbox - I don't have one.)

stncttr908
12-02-03, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Knights of the Old Republic, definitely. :) It's on my list, and I have got my fingers crossed as hard as I dare. (I had to be pretty specific for my non-gamer relatives... I don't need to get KOTOR for the Xbox - I don't have one.) $10 says you end up with the Xbox version. :D