PDA

View Full Version : screen corruption playing Call of Duty

Sc0rp10n
12-01-03, 04:47 PM
anyone ever seen a screen corruption like this? i get it when playing Call of Duty. the support people at activision have said that it's probably my video card overheating and causing this. i highly doubt this as i can play star wars galaxies for HOURS and have never ever seen this problem. i'm running the latest nvidia drivers that are available via the nvidia website. 52.16 or so i believe. my system configuration is below:

CPU: Intel P4 3.2C
Mobo: Intel D875PBZ
RAM: 2GB DDR PC-3200
HD: 2x160GB Serial ATA
DVD1: DVD-ROM, CD-ROM
DVD2: DVD+R/+RW,-R/-RW, CD-R/-RW
Video: nVidia GFFX 5900 Ultra 256MB
Sound: SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Network: Intel Integrated 1000/100/10
Display: NEC 22" Flat CRT
Speakers: Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX

Malfunction
12-01-03, 04:54 PM
52.16's are crud. Go for the 53.03's, so far they are the best overall.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26

Peace,

:)

Sc0rp10n
12-01-03, 05:00 PM
could a driver issue cause screen corruption like that?

this happens almost every time i play Call of Duty. it can happen immediately after i turn my computer on and start playing Call of Duty. it can happen after 5 minutes of playing along fine. it happens in both single player and multiplayer. i can play along for hours and have it not happen at all. but it happens almost every single time i play the game.

oh, and this has never happened on my computer before. i play star wars galaxies for HOURS and have never had a problem. the computer performs perfectly. but when i play Call of Duty, i get this screen curruption you see in the screenshot.

do you think changing drivers would help?

Malfunction
12-01-03, 05:33 PM
Well... I have seen some weird things before.

http://home.pacbell.net/pqjack/FUNKED_UP_42_07.jpg

Courtesy of Messenger

Monitor your Videocard temps after you've switched to 53.03's and see if it goes away or if your temps run upward.

Peace,

:)

bkswaney
12-02-03, 01:53 AM
I've seen stuff just disapear on it myself.

Nutty
12-02-03, 03:38 AM
Does it _ever_ do it outside of Call of Duty?

Sc0rp10n
12-02-03, 07:20 AM
it has never ever happened outside of call of duty. it ONLY happens during playing of this game. i can play other graphics intensive games (star wars galaxies) for hours upon hours and the computer performs flawlessly.

Nutty
12-02-03, 07:46 AM
Try re-installing the game, upgrade to the 53.03 drivers and see what happens. Next time you try COD, make sure your room is nice and cool too..

Socos
12-02-03, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Sc0rp10n
could a driver issue cause screen corruption like that?

this happens almost every time i play Call of Duty. it can happen immediately after i turn my computer on and start playing Call of Duty. it can happen after 5 minutes of playing along fine. it happens in both single player and multiplayer. i can play along for hours and have it not happen at all. but it happens almost every single time i play the game.

oh, and this has never happened on my computer before. i play star wars galaxies for HOURS and have never had a problem. the computer performs perfectly. but when i play Call of Duty, i get this screen curruption you see in the screenshot.

do you think changing drivers would help?

Don't know the answer to your question, but that screen shot certainly doesn't look like it was taken on a 22" flatscreen. :eek: :confused:

Sc0rp10n
12-02-03, 09:48 AM
it's not an LCD, it's a flat screen CRT. the logo is on the CRT there if you don't believe what it is.

AlphaWolf
12-02-03, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Socos
Don't know the answer to your question, but that screen shot certainly doesn't look like it was taken on a 22" flatscreen. :eek: :confused:

um... What does the monitor have to do with the screenshot?

I can take a screen shot using my c64 1702 and it will look the same as one taken from my 22" crt if I use the same display mode. The screenshots will look identical but if you are looking at the display they will look very different.

Sc0rp10n
12-02-03, 08:35 PM
i think when he was looking at my attached picture, he thought it looked like a standard "rounded" CRT. my center channel speaker is directly in front of the CRT in that picture and it can create the illusion that the screen is somewhat rounded. but i assure that the NEC monitor in the picture is a "flat screen".

quik_2_win
12-03-03, 06:09 PM
Malfunction,
That screen from Desert Combat is insane... I'm thinking it would be excellent wallpaper material... :scarey:

Malfunction
12-03-03, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by quik_2_win
Malfunction,
That screen from Desert Combat is insane... I'm thinking it would be excellent wallpaper material... :scarey:

lol, ya... that was with the 52.16's : http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19947&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

There are more cooler looking ones though...lol

Peace,

:D

Richteralan
12-03-03, 09:10 PM
Seems I don't have any problem of CoD with either FW53.03 and FW52.16

Is that a game issue or a driver issue?

Smokey
12-04-03, 02:25 AM
I think its a driver problem myself, I had been using the 52.16 drivers fine in RavenShield, but when I went to play CoD, even the logo clips ran at about 1FPS, certainly couldnt play the game. Uninstalled the drivers and went back to the 44.03s and the game ran/runs smooth.

Also about that BF1942 ss, Ive seen that before, maybe 3-4 years ago playing RogueSpear on a GeforceDDR, the walls/floors etc didnt have one correct texture :eek:

Sc0rp10n
12-04-03, 07:29 AM
my problem isn't really a wall texture issue though. it's the whole screen that locks up. the sound continues when this problem happens, but the screen is locked up and i can't move at all. i'll try the 44.67 drivers this weekend.