PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Noob. Give me a hand please.

Spivey
12-04-03, 02:44 AM
Hi. Ok so I have my new FX 5900nu installed and running (no problems yet in game) but since I havent owned and operated an NVIDIA product in about 3 years I would like some experienced recommendation.

I would Like to know exactly what driver version I'm useing now so how can I tell? I mean WinXP Pro says Driver Date: 5/2/2003 and Driver Version: 4.4.0.3, now obviously it's now the latest driver set but what is that? "44.3 drivers"? My understanding from readin a few posts is that the newer driver sets in comparison to those only a few back gives you a significant kick up in the performance all around.

Would it be wise to try the latest driver release from my vid card manufacturer, see if it's the latest, or just install the latest drivers from NVIDIA themselves? Um, please - what are the latest FX drivers? I got my card today (its an XFX GeForce FX 5900nu 128Mb) which replaced my Radeon 8500, I've been saved thank you.

fivefeet8
12-04-03, 04:15 AM
Use the Forceware 52.16 WHQL drivers. But if your into BF1942, use the beta 53.03. I'm using the beta 53.03 without any problems on all my PC games(about 30 games).

I suggest you also take a look at the digital Vibrance controls. ;)

Spivey
12-04-03, 04:54 AM
(omg) Man... WinXP Pro keeps auto installing my old 44 Detonators on each boot right after I uninstall and run DriverCleaner 2 (plus Registry Healer to clean the reg) and I can't stop it. Fivefeet8 do you know how to fix this or a way around it (safe mode?)? Tring to install the universal 53.03 since everyone else was pleased with them in forums. I realy need help with this please. Is it bad to install VGA drivers in safe mode? It interfaces with me there but in normal boot it says "here's what we like, you'll love it and grats, have a nice f****** day" lolol

Vash
12-04-03, 09:42 AM
Alternatively, boot into Safe Mode, remove your vid adapter from Device Manager, and then install the new drivers. Reboot. That will ensure that the old drivers are off, 100% of the time.

I can't say I've had problems just installing Nvidia drivers over top of the default WinXP ones, though. So whatever does it for ya.

saturnotaku
12-04-03, 09:45 AM
44.03 are ones that appear on the Windows Update site so even when you clean out your old drivers, those will always install after a fresh reboot. It's not a problem, though - just install the new ones over the top. They'll work just fine.

chris454
12-04-03, 12:32 PM
or you can disconnect from the internet before rebooting.

Spivey
12-05-03, 10:22 AM
Seems I have One of the same video errors as my old Radeon 8500 still although the 8500 was much worse. I have the 53 driver set installed and DX 9.b since I havent found DX 9.1 although I 'm told it's available. I've got the correct and latest AMD agp driver VIA Hyperion 4in1 set minus the AGP driver for my now ancient Asus A7M266 mobo (updateing to nForce 2 soon) all installed. The Creative SBlive! drivers are the latest from the Creative site although Windows Update wants me to change them (and my VGA driver) to an older version.

I'm going to try and post some screen captures from Everquest but this is my first time to do this so please understand that if it's wierd. In all shots I am running AA App Pref, Anio is at 8, and other settings defualt (not overclocked) at Best Image quality settings. Resolution is 1280 x 1024 at 32. If I missed something youre curious to know please say something.

Guys how do I insert images, just links not the full picture. These are Everquest screen shots.

Spivey
12-05-03, 09:36 PM
...here we are. This one is an example of the flashing lines. They vary in width and shoot vertical and horizontal also. Also included are pics of the flashing textures on objects. Funny I don't get this with BF1942 right now.

Well nvm, guess its only going to let me load one... now I can't load another image in edit mode. Nvm :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer
12-05-03, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by chris454
or you can disconnect from the internet before rebooting.
Ah, but can you reboot the internet before you disconnect from it? THAT is the tricky one. :cool:

Spivey
12-05-03, 09:45 PM
see the line from the tree to the tower?

Spivey
12-05-03, 09:45 PM
here's 1/2 a book. It flashes like that.

Spivey
12-05-03, 09:50 PM
Another flashing corrupt texture. (hehe , sorry. this is the only way I could figure out how to do this):angel2:

The Baron
12-07-03, 07:03 PM
overheating or a bad PSU or motherboard, it would appear. have you tried increasing the AGP voltage?

Spivey
12-07-03, 07:53 PM
Nope Baron, I haven't messed with AGP voltage, I don't know how, and never overclocked this system. I'll list my computer hardware/software setup but don't luagh, it IS old and was at the time I built it a very nice computer. I have that XFX 5900SE in there now. Within the next two days getting either an Asus or Abit nForce 2 mobo (I prefer Abit right now) to replace this one. Dust may be the problem to, I'll maybe dissasemble and blow it clean when it stops snowing here in Maine.

__________________________________________________ __________

Pc Power&Cooling Turbo Cooler 350.
Asus A7M266. (1007 bios - latest)
Mushkin PC2100 high performance 512Mb CL2 (x2)
IBM Deskstar 60Gb x2 in stripe mode raid array
Promise FastTrack100 controller
Athlon 1.13Ghz 266 fsb
Creative SBLive! Platinum 5.1
Intel Pro 1000 MT ethernet card
SupraMAX 56i 56k modem (installed to system/no drivers and disabled)
Plexwriter PX-W1610A
Pioneer DVD rom 105
Creative 52 speed CD player
quality rounded cables
KDS Avitron AV-195TF 19'' monitor
Nice solid ALL aluminum case with lots of cooling (all fans work)
VIA 4in1 Hyperion v4.49 minus the agp driver. Latest AMD AGP driver installed.
__________________________________________________ __________

Wierd thing in Device Manager, I noticed VIA Tech PCI to ISA bridge controlling sevral mobo functions. I have no ISA slot so I'm confused about that and I can't check the driver date.. duh, I don't know. I have never used or install drivers for the mobo's onboard sound but may try it to see if that helps. The psu is high quality so not sure about that. Like I said this system is old but was once realy nice so I'll be upgradeing alot over the next couple months and shopping carefully. I'm willing to bet either motherboard or .. well I'm not sure. Thank you Baron.

Spivey
12-07-03, 07:59 PM
Baron is there a program (freeware) that will shoot a screenie of my bios?

Looked into the bios and didn't find voltage settings for the agp. Is this a common feature on most every motherboard? My instinct tells me a desireable feature but not commonplace.

Playing my games on this new GFFX 5900se I'm just wow'd by the difference between the Radeon 8500 - nice! Some errors still there except very few in BF1942, makes Everquest very irritating to play tough.

Spivey
12-08-03, 01:51 AM
Well problem went away... ! All I did was set the mobo bios to defualt so something wasn't right yet on the other hand I don't know what went wrong still so it could happen again. There werent many things I had changed in the Bios actualy and I even set a few things after loading defaults *shrug*. Running with my case open also, not sure if that makes a difference. I don't know what it was.