machine
:drooling:

digitalwanderer
12-04-03, 08:48 PM
Huh? :confused:

Line01
12-04-03, 08:56 PM
This thing DW

Dream (http://www.nvidia.com/object/2ndharvest.html)

Its up now for auction you nedd to read the headlines on nv news home page to:D As well as the fourms.

digitalwanderer
12-04-03, 09:11 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/9769/dream_pc_large.jpg
Ok, I'll admit I like it at least....but I'd cut the nVidia logo off the side 'tween Dawn & Eve and throw a blue LED fan on there. :)

Line01
12-04-03, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/9769/dream_pc_large.jpg
Ok, I'll admit I like it at least....but I'd cut the nVidia logo off the side 'tween Dawn & Eve and throw a blue LED fan on there. :)

EVE that's DuSK Dawn's better looking twin.:D.

reever2
12-04-03, 10:00 PM
Is that the Nvidia logo splattered on everything, or is that logitechs?

Ady
12-04-03, 10:08 PM
Logitech

Unit01
12-05-03, 03:22 AM
nice system indeed. The front page said that the paint job cost more than 500$USD??? That's more than.....well some parts together in my comp :D

-=DVS=-
12-05-03, 03:28 AM
Gee :rolleyes: sure its Dream machine if your Nvidiot :o

Where IS MY Monkey Dream Machine huh ??? for fanATIcs :p

MikeC
12-05-03, 04:39 AM
Here's a link to the auction page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2766882563

Ady
12-05-03, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Unit01
nice system indeed. The front page said that the paint job cost more than 500$USD??? That's more than.....well some parts together in my comp :D

It looks just like those case wraps you can get. That is what I thought it was.

vampireuk
12-05-03, 07:21 AM
$6,600.00 :eek:

saturnotaku
12-05-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
$6,600.00 :eek:

Exactly. At least it's for a good cause, but still you could build a system like that for less than half.

Ady
12-05-03, 08:24 AM
This item has been generously donated by NVIDIA Corporation. The donor has indicated that the fair market value of this item is $16,000

Well how did they work that one out? $16,000??? :confused:

cthellis
12-05-03, 09:11 AM
They seem to be tacking on value by saying they and AMD pulled uber versions of their high-end cards right now for putting in the thing. But considering I put together just about the highest system I could on their page and didn't hit $9k (granted with only one of the monitors since they didn't have room for two)--likely with things they didn't include--methinks they've just taking one or two liberties. Heh...

Uttar
12-05-03, 09:25 AM
They could be overclocked, and they could be increasing the value based on that overclock, although that'd be artificial.
Heck, 600Mhz GF4 supposedly existed in NV's lab according to NVIDIA itself IIRC, so, why not... strange they wouldn't mention the shipped clocks though!

Uttar

jAkUp
12-05-03, 10:08 AM
Aren't they throwing in a bunch of games also?

cthellis
12-05-03, 06:57 PM
Sure, plenty of games. But not quite $7k worth of them. ;)

saturnotaku
12-05-03, 07:35 PM
No mystery here - the inflated value means a bigger tax writeoff for NVIDIA and the contributing companies.

MikeC
12-05-03, 08:39 PM
"In addition, the winning bidder will receive five hours of personal "gaming tutorial" by a member of the NVIDIA-sponsored professional PC gaming team, Team3D. Recently, Team3D took second place in the World Cyber Games Championship (WCG) in Seoul, Korea."

Have you thought about the expenses involved in getting the winner and the member from Team 3D together for this personal training? Plus, how much does a personal game trainer charge? Consultants are paid up to $300 an hour where I work.

Also, there are other costs associated with the PC that weren't mentioned like the motherboard, memory, power supply. The PC probably comes with one or more high-quality DVD burners.

There's nothing sinister here folks. This is about companies coming together to help feed people.

gokickrocks
12-05-03, 10:41 PM
there is such a thing as game consultants / personal game trainers? :confused:

no offense, but i just dont see them getting paid $300 per hour...

however, this is for a needy cause and we should not rag on the price since we do have the option of not bidding

cthellis
12-06-03, 06:23 AM
We're not examining sinister nature, we're just trying to figure out HOW ON EARTH they summed up a $16,000 value on this thing. A maxed-out G5 from the Apple Store JUST gets there, and that's throwing in everything from 8 gigs of their super-expensive ram to two 23" Cinema Displays, to an unlimited client Server package, and an iPod thrown in for kicks! ;) I can't hit that totaly with a maxed-out Alienware with two 30" LCD's taking up more than half the total! Nor could I hit it with a maxed-out dual-Opteron 248 gaming rig from Elite PC including ALL the possible software it could have, and saying "screw you" to the monitor they include and adding in $8000 worth of monitors and a few extra Hard Drives. You barely pay that much to get a 2-way Power4 server from IBM. I could get two twin-UltraSPARC IIIi workstations. I could get maxed-out twin 3.2Ghz Xeon server from Dell, complete with RAID 5, all the tape backups, and the best support packages!

It's just funny when you put it in perspective. :p

GlowStick
12-06-03, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
They could be overclocked, and they could be increasing the value based on that overclock, although that'd be artificial.
Heck, 600Mhz GF4 supposedly existed in NV's lab according to NVIDIA itself IIRC, so, why not... strange they wouldn't mention the shipped clocks though!

Uttar If you read the PR the value was calculated at the market value of the most expensive lower clocked part. and the amd chip had its multiplyer changed, not fsb overclock fyi.

but how they get their insane price is going by "if you bought it from voodoo" not if you built it your self, and voodoo costs alllllllllllllot of $$$

cthellis
12-06-03, 08:28 AM
Yeah, cause Alienwares and Apple G5's are the epitome of cheap computers. ;)

Maxing out a Voodoo PC also just brings one to $8000 or so, which means it'd need another $8k worth of monitors--which it doesn't have.

MikeC
12-06-03, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cthellis
We're not examining sinister nature, we're just trying to figure out HOW ON EARTH they summed up a $16,000 value on this thing.

Maybe you should leave that up to the IRS. They would have the facts to determine the fair market value of the PC. You, on the other hand, don't.