PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

stevedabomb
12-05-03, 08:41 PM
right now i have the asus a7v600 with onboard 6 channel sound. i also have a sb audigy. since i dont use any surround features and only run a 2.1 system would i still benefit running the audigy over the onboard?

saturnotaku
12-05-03, 08:43 PM
With the Audigy you will benefit from true hardware support for EAX and all its subsequent versions. However, it looks like you're running some kind of VIA chipset. Those particular chipsets are notoriously bad for causing problems when run in conjunction with an SB Live or Audigy 1. If you don't experience any problems, I say use the Audigy, if not you'll be fine with your onboard sound.

stevedabomb
12-05-03, 08:45 PM
this is the second via chipset ive had with this audigy and no problems whatsoever.....i just wondered if onboard might have improved in the last 5 years

saturnotaku
12-05-03, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by stevedabomb
this is the second via chipset ive had with this audigy and no problems whatsoever.....i just wondered if onboard might have improved in the last 5 years

If you had an nForce2 I'd say it absolutely has. But with VIA it's pretty much the same 'ol stuff. Keep that Audigy, it will be much better. :)