PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for laptop

Clay
12-13-03, 02:43 PM
Sometime next quarter I will get a new laptop at work. For the past two years or so I've had an IBM A21p and loved it (especially the native 1600x1200 resolution which is so rare among laptops). Anyway, I'm now considering the HP Pavillion zd7000 series (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_store/computer_series_detail.do?series_name=zd7000_serie s&series_index=0&bvBcPage=HP+Pavilion+notebooks&bvBcPath=includes%2Fcto_web_services_redirect.jsp% 3Fdestination%3Dcategory%26pageVisited%3Dvillage_h ome%26eppPrefix%3D%26brandName%3Dhp%26storeName%3D computer_store_GS%26category%3Dnotebooks%2Fhp_pavi lion%26catLevel%3D1&wlBcPage=HP+Pavilion+notebooks&wlBcPath=/shopping/generic_store/generic_compare_category.do&wlBcLevel=1). I primarily do a lot of software development during a normal day (VFP, C# in .NET, web development, etc). I also do quite a bit of graphical work at times. So, this wider screen is appealing. I've seen the Toshibas as well that offer the wide screens. I know that these desknotes (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-979763.html) are primarily geared towards a more consumer oriented entertainment market, however, this extra screen real-estate would be great for development of most any kind. I'll be formatting the drive first thing anyway as usual to remove all of the bloat-ware that comes on them.

So, does anyone have any experience with this series from HP or similar? Any other recommendations from anyone? Portability and battery life are not something I really care about. Looking for raw power, and screen real estate. I wish HP offered a 7200rpm drive but a 5400 60GB is the best they offer.

Thanks!

The Baron
12-13-03, 03:22 PM
... uh, just get a Centrino. you get plenty of power (although it sucks for gaming) and insane battery life. couple that with a big screen, and it's a coder's dream computer.

Clay
12-13-03, 04:16 PM
I don't care much about battery life at all...always have my laptop plugged in anyway. Centrino is no big thing to me, plus I don't see any larger aspect ratio screens with Centrino on board anyway.

nVidi0t
12-13-03, 04:22 PM
Centrino just flat out owns.

And it doesnt suck for gaming Baron. I have a 1.6Ghz Centrino Laptop and I run the Doom 3 Alpha at ~30fps with a Radeon 9000 mobility, and Unreal 2 is smooth as hell.

Also, without a charger the laptop can last up to 5 hours with moderate activity.

Clay
12-13-03, 04:27 PM
Other than great battery life, what else would compel someone to opt for Centrino? Is it as simple as that it is the latest rev of the P4 architecture? I haven't kept up very well on them so probably dumb question here but why are their clock speeds lower than traditional P4s?

The Baron
12-13-03, 04:31 PM
Centrino != P4. For example, you can get a 1.8Ghz Centrino that's equivalent to a MUCH faster P4. It's a lot closer to an Athlon, really.

In addition to the battery life, though, they are usually a lot lighter. That's always nice.

I'll take a look around.

Clay
12-13-03, 04:35 PM
Thanks Tim...that's what I suspected but wasn't sure. Remember...I just gotta have one of the w i d e screens. :)

nVidi0t
12-13-03, 04:50 PM
They are light and quiet. My Dell doesnt even have any fans. They also have in built bluetooth and Wireless LAN. (Bluetooth is optional)

The Baron
12-13-03, 05:15 PM
uh.

the zd7000 is a widescreen Centrino. :lol: this was stupid. get that.

Clay
12-13-03, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
uh.

the zd7000 is a widescreen Centrino. :lol: this was stupid. get that.

uh.

The HP Pavillion zd7000 "series" does not, in fact, appear to utilize Centrino processors. Where are you getting your information? :bleh: I'm getting my information here (http://www.hpshopping.com/cgi-bin/shopping/site_entrance.cgi?template_type=computer_store&landing=notebooks&category=hp_pavilion&aoid=1426) (also see attached image pointing this out). According to Intel (http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/pentiumm/index.htm?iid=ipp_centrino+tbl_pmp&) their fastest Centrino is 1.7GHz.
The Intel Pentium M processor is available at speeds of up to 1.70 GHz

So someone is wrong here. It's either me, HP and Intel...or you. ;)

What was stupid again? If I'm wrong I'll apologize for being terse with you...but, well, you started it. :D

The Baron
12-13-03, 11:19 PM
no, sorry, I wasn't saying you were stupid--I originally posted a link to what I thought was the zd7000 because it was an HP Centrino machine with a widescreen LCD. so I was saying THAT was stupid. sorry, should've left that up.

originally, your zd7000 link pointed to the same place I pointed, but the original zd7000 link seems to be dead...?

or maybe I was looking at this:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-64295-89315-321838-f33-332798.html

nx7000. widescreen, Radeon 9200, Centrino.

yup. I was looking at nx7000. I looked at every HP model and got confused. sorry.

Clay
12-13-03, 11:30 PM
NP. I know posts are easy to misinterpret at times. :) Yeah, the original link I posted was truncated. The link you just provided is a wide screen but small (15.4")...the zd7000 series is 17". At any rate, thanks for looking around.