PDA

View Full Version : nforce2...?

Domy
12-14-03, 03:12 AM
ok guys, i wanna know what if use a single channel memory on nforce2 mobos, and does it have problems w/ ati cards?thx....

Rogozhin
12-14-03, 03:22 AM
ATi+N2=diamond light ;)

rogo

eL_PuSHeR
12-14-03, 03:28 AM
My brother-in-law also has an nFORCE2 mainboard. It is running in single channel memory mode. What is it? It's the best setting? what are available settings? How can they be changed in bios, if available?

saturnotaku
12-14-03, 08:25 AM
Dual channel mode is only really useful if you're using integrated video. Otherwise the performance boost is maybe 5% at the most. Also the nForce2 chipset is a model of video card compatibility. There are few reports of problems with video cards of any chipset.

digitalwanderer
12-14-03, 09:22 AM
I've run my nForce2 in single & dual with my 9700 Pro & AIW 9600 Pro with no problems, although I do turn off fast writes since it adds instability without a performance boost. (IMHO)

The Baron
12-14-03, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I've run my nForce2 in single & dual with my 9700 Pro & AIW 9600 Pro with no problems, although I do turn off fast writes since it adds instability without a performance boost. (IMHO)
FW, in my experience, is an all-or-nothing thing stability wise--if it causes instability, it causes everything to crash upon entering 3D.

digitalwanderer
12-14-03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
FW, in my experience, is an all-or-nothing thing stability wise--if it causes instability, it causes everything to crash upon entering 3D.
Not for me. I never had a problem with it 'til CoD, then I had the goofiest/weird crashes. Turning off FW stopped 'em and I haven't been able to tell any real performance difference.

sxotty
12-14-03, 04:28 PM
I beleive there was a soyo board that only did single channel and had quite good performance... of course then you miss out on digital encoding.

SavagePaladin
12-14-03, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Dual channel mode is only really useful if you're using integrated video. Otherwise the performance boost is maybe 5% at the most.
My contact at NV disagrees....he would say that the dual channel is very important if you use the other onboard stuff also.

I don't remember what exactly he said, it was a while ago, but thats the gist of it.