PDA

View Full Version : Performance Bios

Venturi
12-14-03, 11:03 AM
Is there a performance bios for the 5950???????

Where can I get it?

THX

Jay

Cotita
12-15-03, 01:27 PM
As far as I know there is no "performance Bios" for any nvidia card.

Besides the only thing worth changing is the core/memory speeds and that can easily be done with rivatuner or by using the "coolbits" patch.

Rivatuner is a much better alternative since it lets you tweak lots of settings and you won't risk damaging you card by flashing a new bios.

Venturi
12-15-03, 07:16 PM
evga had aperformance bios and so did msi, but I can't find one for the 5950, theirs was the 5900.

Why?

1. I don't want any apps running in the background - clean machine.

2. Tuner, and coolbits seem to resort to the default memory settings after a few reboots.

3. I run MS Enterprise Server 2003 and Suse AMD64 on my dual opteron 248 box. I don't have driver based utility in 64 bit fot the overclocking.

So, who has the bios tweak/flash for the 5950????

The Baron
12-15-03, 07:48 PM

here's the lowdown on the performance BIOS for eVGA 5900 cards. when the card first came out, it was running at what... 450/900? it was completely unstable. so eVGA released what they called a reference BIOS, and that dialed down the clocks to I believe 425/850. a few weeks later, they released a "performance BIOS," which simply put the clocks back to the original speed but made it stable as well.

so there is no performance BIOS.

Cotita
12-15-03, 09:52 PM
of you only want to change the core/mem speed in the bios you can do it yourself.

There is a bios tweaking utility to do just that, can't remember its name though.

last time I saw it supported the geforce FX family, don't know if it works on the 5950