PDA

View Full Version : MSI FX5200 VIVO or Asus FX5200 VIVO

1m4g1n3
12-14-03, 11:36 AM
Here I have weighed the pros and cons between the MSI and the ASUS versions. After reading this, I would be glad if someone helped me decide between these two: the one with no ramsinks but better ram, or with ramsinks and standard ram?

The advantage with MSI's version is that their ram is rated at 4ns, which means it can go up to 500mhz from the default 400mhz (no ramsinks).

http://www.msi.com.tw/images/product_img/vga_img/S_8907TD128.gif
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produ...ail.php?UID=468

The advantage with the ASUS version is that it has great cooling with ramsinks, and it has a better reputation for quality. I know that I can overclock the gpu easily from 250 to 325 with any fan/heatsink combo which is standard on these two. The ram however, i am sure i can get to 450 without stressing it on the asus, and 500 without stressing on the msi. However, with the msi, there is no heatsink on the ram chips, plus they do not have much of a reputation for quality. I like both of these cards because they have VIVO and dual monitor (which is virtually standard today).

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9520vs/v9520vs_l.jpg
http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9520vs/overview.htm#

What has got my stumped is that I can't figure out if these guys have 128-bit interfaces or 64, although i am pretty sure they both have 128. Just gotta call the manufacturers and find out i guess. For someone who is kind enoguh to help me decide, let us assume that they are both 128 bit and there is (virtually) no price difference.

I do understand that this nv34 gpu is pretty slow, however, in a couple of years from now i will be far in my university studies and I won't be worrying about being able to play games all the time. For a couple of years at least, I'll be able to play games at 1024x768 2xaa, 2xaf, which will satisfy me grandly. Plus, I'll be upgrading my mobo and ram when the 64-bit stuff's prices will be going down, so by that time there will be much better cards, which will slash the prices on the high end cards that are out right now. At the moment, anyways, having sdram and 4xagp will limit my graphics power anyways, so this is the smartest generation of card to buy. I hope I've made my ideas about why I am buying such a low-end video card clear.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Cheers.

P.S.: I got my money back for that 64-bit piece of junk that xfx tricked me into buying, so I can make a clear decision on buying a video card now.

DSC
12-14-03, 11:47 AM
If a card has 8 memory chips, it's almost always a 128bit mem bus card.

4 memory chips, thats always a 64bit mem bus card.

I have the MSI FX5200, and I can assure you it's not a low quality product. MSI isn't Nvidia's biggest partner by selling low quality products, in fact they produce the reference boards for a few models.

Personally though, I wouldn't get a 5200 these days, they just don't offer much in gaming performance now or in the future.

Naffer
12-14-03, 12:55 PM
I'd throw down the $200 and find a nice 5900nu instead of a 5200.

Gator
12-14-03, 06:24 PM
I like the look for that Asus card, it has a nicer cooling setup especially the ram sinks. But make sure it has 128bit memory this is VERY important.

Why FX5200? You realize that's a very under-powered card right? How much money do you have to spend on a videocard? Even the older GF4TI would OWN a FX5200. If you can afford $200us, the FX5900NU is a great buy. If you can only afford about $130, then make it a FX5600 Ultra, this should be your bare minimum if you wanna game.

1m4g1n3
12-19-03, 05:29 PM
Ok I need more advice because I can only get one of these two at the moment, and there is no point buying a higher end card because pci express will dominate in the next fiscal quarter! Therefore, agp cards will soon become extinct.

Gator
12-19-03, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 1m4g1n3
Ok I need more advice because I can only get one of these two at the moment, and there is no point buying a higher end card because pci express will dominate in the next fiscal quarter! Therefore, agp cards will soon become extinct.

And buying an underpowered FX5200 makes sense?! I assumed you were under a tight budget, but if your talking about PCI-Xpress than I guess not. Look honestly you don't want a FX5200, the bare minimum card you should consider is a FX5600 Ultra for $130us or an FX5700 for $150us

1m4g1n3
12-19-03, 05:52 PM
I cannot buy anything over $150 CDN :(.

1m4g1n3
12-19-03, 05:52 PM
And I would get a Radeon9600, but it wouldnt have VIVO, which I would like to have.

Gator
12-19-03, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 1m4g1n3
And I would get a Radeon9600, but it wouldnt have VIVO, which I would like to have.

but the 5200 is soooo limited, are you sure you wanna do this to yourself, also how much is $150cn in USD? That sounds like a difficult request