PDA

View Full Version : GF4TI - dual display questions

Gator
12-14-03, 05:59 PM
Yesterday I purchased a an NEC LCD1515 flat panel monitor to act as my secondary monitor. It works great, and I set the display properties to "extend my desktop to this monitor" but I have some questions, this is my first time with a dual display setup:

1) how come only the screen savers that came with WinXP will work on BOTH monitors. I have a beautiful collection of screen savers on CD, but they ONLY work on the primary monitor (the CRT). Meanwhile the other monitor (the LCD) continues to show whatever I was working on (web browsing, background wallper, etc). But if I use something like "3D Flowerbox" which comes with XP, it will work on both panels together.

2) is there a way to have 2 different wallpaper backgrounds on each monitor? Or do they have to be identical?

3) I use Media Player Classic 6.4 / Real Alternative 1.11. If I play a video file, it works in my primary display, but not the secondary one that just shows black. I tried playing with the overlay settings but that didn't help, and I can literally drag the window back and forth, and the video shows in my primary but not secondary. This problem does NOT happen if I use Microsoft Media Player 8, but I hate that player it's too bloated. And if I change the LCD to primary, it still behaves the same, it'll play in primary but not secondary? Any ideas?

Thanks

GlowStick
12-14-03, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Heh, i hate to inform you that your pritty much SOL on most of your problems. But here ill go

1) Screensavers are a problem like that, they have to be designed to run on dual or more monitors to show up like that, most are not. however youc an run 2 diffrent screensavers on each monitor with a nifty program called UltraMon http://www.ultramon.com

2) They have to be identical, unless you are running UltraMon. http://www.UltraMon.com

3) That is pritty much it, video mostly only works on the primary monitor unless its coded to take advantage of two or more monitors, so you have to use new programs such as Windows Mediaplayer 8/9, Divix Player, Quicktime 6.

Thats about it, but here are some other hints of what you cant do.

Play 3d games on your secondary monitor, dosent work : (
Play shockwave 3d games on your secondary monitor, you will see the image, but it will play like at 1fps untill you move it to your other monitor.

Hope that helps you!

Gator
12-14-03, 08:37 PM
well, i found an answer to question #2

nView Desktop Manager, which comes with Detonator drivers, has a tab called Desktops. Click the button that says Properties, and right there you can select different wallpapers for each display! WOOHOO!

GlowStick
12-14-03, 09:04 PM
well let me leave you with some food for thought then

why have ONLY two monitors when you can have three!

Gator
12-14-03, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
well let me leave you with some food for thought then

why have ONLY two monitors when you can have three!

LOL! Not sure where that thought came from, but I will say I'm already using practically every square inch of my desk so a 3rd monitor is out. And these LCD's aren't cheap so forget adding another one. And finally, my GF4TI has two heads and I don't feel like buying & installing a PCI video card too :p

GlowStick
12-14-03, 09:13 PM
I have an answer to all your problems

LCD's have very nice wall mounts, takes no desk space : D

and buy a PCI videa card : P

well i guess i left out hte $$$ factor in that : O

Gator
12-14-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
I have an answer to all your problems

LCD's have very nice wall mounts, takes no desk space : D

and buy a PCI videa card : P

well i guess i left out hte $$$ factor in that : O

yes but that would get in the way of my lovely oil paintings on the wall, and some original photography. Of course I could scan those into the computer and use them as my wallpaper, but I think we're getting a little side tracked now and yes mutliple LCD's would make me broke practically. lol

Anyways, I think I found the answers I was looking for, thanks Glowstick.

1) just gotta find some better screen savers that support multiple monitors because I won't pay $40 for that software for such a simple need, but thank you for posting the link that's an interesting looking program!

2) All fixed! Detonators drivers saved the day! Thank you nView

3) Out of luck I guess, Media Player Classic 6.4 simply doesn't support the secondary display apparently, but Microsoft Media Player 8 does. I'll just have to suffer with MMP8 I guess if I wanna play a video on display 2. It's an inconvience, but I can live with it.

GlowStick
12-14-03, 09:36 PM
NP,

ultramon has a list of some screensavers that work well with dual monitors

i hope you enjoy your new dual monitor status, and it is ture you will be sickend if you go to another computer with 1 pfft monitor.

ugh.

Gator
12-15-03, 04:09 PM
Problem #3 has been resolved!

I copied mplayer2.exe from Win95B and it worked!!! I can now easily watch videos on either display without having to use Microsoft's MP8. And it still uses all my codecs including RealMedia, Quicktime, and everything else that Real Alternative handles! This kicks butt!

Special thanks to Pr()ZaC at Rage3d :)