PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth to go from 9700pro to 5900U?


qballshalls2002
12-15-03, 09:19 PM
I just want my games to look the way the developers intended it to look like.For example,Splinter Cell has this awesome shadow projection effect(that cannot be done on my 9700pro),and Tron 2.0 has a beautiful glow to it.Nvidia cards support SSAA(although R300's do but has not been enabled yet).Nvidia cards have that beautiful,gorgeous digital vibrance control,that i sincerely missed since my Geforce2 back in 2002.Not to mention the majority of my games are "TWIMTBP".I'm not a n00b to pc gaming,but i do know that most developers develop for nVidia video cards rather than ATi's cards.I seen the devs machines from numerous of times from interning.I'm tired of all these damn patches that are intended for Ati cards.I'm also sick to my stomach that I cannot play allot of my older games,without some annoying error pop up or the game doesnt work.

I never ever had trouble with any games old or new with my sold Geforce2 pro card.No crashing.No annoying slowdowns.No effects missing due to developer relations.Natta.

Like i said,Im not a n00b to pc game cards.I know that Ati's curremt highend cards pwn in Dx9 performance.But by the time we start seeing real DX9 games with DX9 effects,Nvidia's drivers will be up to snuff with there DX9 performance issues.Like I said,I never had any trouble whatsoever with my past Nvidia videocards.I'm not looiking for a tremendous framerate improvement,I just want games to look the way there intended to look.So is it worth it.The 5900XT is only 199.99 with CoD.

simwiz2
12-15-03, 09:36 PM
Probably not, unless you consider the older game issues important. 9700P to 5900XT is a performance downgrade.

euan
12-15-03, 09:40 PM
Nope not worth it unless you get a good price for your old card.

Just for the record and in my opinion, the majority of "TWIMTBP" play better on ATI cards anyway. SSAA is to slow to use, and Digital Vibrance is colour murder. There is no reason why Tron and Splinter Cell have missing features, other than the money they get from Nvidia to prevent there use by competitors, and / or the developers indifference to programming standards. If you condone that sort of behaviour then feel free to carry on.

BTW drivers aren't going to fix DX9 performance. Also what older games don't work?

Have fun! :confused:

digitalwanderer
12-15-03, 09:59 PM
(popcorn)

EMunEeE
12-15-03, 10:55 PM
Performance wise...NO! But if you want all of those other features then its your money. IMO...SSAA (on NVidia cards), digital vibrance, and TWIMTBP are all waaaaaaayyyyyy overrated...seriously, but then again I have only had one NVidia card (GF MX 420).

Personally, if I had $500, I wouldn't even contemplate getting an NVidia card (this generation anyway).

AnteP
12-16-03, 03:52 AM
Keep the 9700 and upgrade this spring instead when the new boards arrive. No point in upgrading to the same egenration tech.

Gator
12-17-03, 09:24 AM
the performance boost from R9700Pro to 5900U is not worth it, and the image quality is probably better on the R9700Pro anyway. And besides the R9700Pro can still play all the latest and greatest at high resolutions too provided your CPU is up to par

Quitch
12-17-03, 09:39 AM
You would be wasting your money.

-=DVS=-
12-17-03, 10:14 AM
In two three months we will have R420 and NV40 and you thinking about downgradeing your card ...:confused:

Even going from Radeon 9700Pro to -> 9800XT or FX5950 is not worth it ...

ChrisRay
12-17-03, 10:18 AM
Not worth it really, I mean I like Digital Vibrance too, And Super Sampling, But the performance difference between the 2 in pure MultiSampling modes ect, is not very different, And those are the settings you'd use

GlowStick
12-17-03, 10:46 AM
there is not a big enough preofrmance jump from your card to make a worthy upgrade. Id consider the next bach of cards if a game comes out that you cant play well.

ATI_Dude
12-17-03, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by qballshalls2002
I just want my games to look the way the developers intended it to look like.For example,Splinter Cell has this awesome shadow projection effect(that cannot be done on my 9700pro),

The special NVIDIA shadow system (Shadow Buffer system) no longer works with the latest 5x.xx drivers and GeForce FX 5700/59xx cards (possibly all NVIDIA cards). Previous 4x.xx drivers have support for the NVIDIA shadow buffer system, but most of the soft dynamic lighting effects from flashlights, car headlights, lamps etc. don't work with GeForce FX cards (worked with my old GeForce 4 Ti 4400).

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
and Tron 2.0 has a beautiful glow to it.

For all I know the Glow effect in Tron 2.0 works with Radeon 9xxx cards as well. I've played the game with a Radeon 9800 Pro and Glow was selectable in the menu and as far as I could tell active in-game. Also worth noting is that Tron 2.0 seems to really like ATI's R3xx/RV3xx architecture, possibly because it uses a lot of single textured objects. Even a 9700 Pro runs the game faster than a 5950 Ultra.

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
Nvidia cards support SSAA(although R300's do but has not been enabled yet).

While SSAA support is nice to have the performance hit makes it unusable in most cases except in assorted older games.

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
(...)

Not to mention the majority of my games are "TWIMTBP".I'm not a n00b to pc gaming,but i do know that most developers develop for nVidia video cards rather than ATi's cards.I seen the devs machines from numerous of times from interning.I'm tired of all these damn patches that are intended for Ati cards.

It's true that game devlopers still favor NVIDIA to some extent, but the ATI R3xx/RV3xx cards is a major improvement on earlier ATI cards and many hardware manufacturers such as Asus and MSI who used to be loyal NV partners now offer ATI cards as well. Game developers cannot ignore this and must optimize their games for ATI cards as well.

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
I'm also sick to my stomach that I cannot play allot of my older games,without some annoying error pop up or the game doesnt work.

Which games? All my old games work flawlessly with my Radeon 9800 Pro. You also have to consider that the latest Forceware 5x.xx are less compatible with older games than NVIDIA's previous Detonator drivers since they're optimized for DirectX 9.

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
I never ever had trouble with any games old or new with my sold Geforce2 pro card.No crashing.No annoying slowdowns.No effects missing due to developer relations.Natta.

The GeForce 2 is three generations older than the GeForce FX. Even though NVIDIA uses a Unified driver architecture you cannot automatically assume everything will run just as well on a GeForce FX card.

Originally posted by qballshalls2002
Like i said,Im not a n00b to pc game cards.I know that Ati's curremt highend cards pwn in Dx9 performance.But by the time we start seeing real DX9 games with DX9 effects,Nvidia's drivers will be up to snuff with there DX9 performance issues.Like I said,I never had any trouble whatsoever with my past Nvidia videocards.I'm not looiking for a tremendous framerate improvement,I just want games to look the way there intended to look.So is it worth it.The 5900XT is only 199.99 with CoD.

The 5900 XT is a lower clocked version of the 5900. In most games your Radeon 9700 Pro will be faster especially with AA and AF maxed out. You need to get a 5900 Ultra or 5950 Ultra to notice any difference.

Bottom line:

Unless you have nothing else to spend your money on swapping your Radeon 9700 Pro for a GeForce FX 5900 XT isn't worh it. You'll get no performance improvements (more likely the opposite!) and compatability isn't much better in most cases

Line01
12-17-03, 03:36 PM
It would be if you do not have COD and want it. You could sell your Radeon
9700 pro on Ebay for $200.00. Then buy you an EVGA 5900 for $210 with Call of duty or the EVGA 5900SE for $190