PDA

View Full Version : Coolbits vs Rivatuner

k3nnis
12-16-03, 06:34 AM
Hi there.

I was wondering which one is better to overclock a FX5900NU card?:) Also why?:)
One more thing, i understand you need to run rivatuner in the background on the taskbar, so i suppose this takes up more memory? Does it really matter? Since i think coolbits is built into the control panel from the drivers.

Cheers.
Kenn.

digitalwanderer
12-16-03, 09:44 AM
Not true about rivatuner needing to run in the background, it's sets the clock at boot-up and then shuts itself down.

I'm a tried-n-true RivaTuner enthusiast. I've had the best luck with it for OCing on nVidia and ATi cards. It's low-level OCing just works better than a driver level tweak I find. :)

RivaTuner gets my vote.

mrsabidji
12-16-03, 09:54 AM
I agree totally. Actually, RivaTuner could be considered as a Coolbits++.
As for the memory it may use when running in the background... well, it's close to nothing.

mrsabidji

RobHague
12-16-03, 09:54 AM
<Votes for Coolbits>

Simple, and does the job. RivaTuner is cool but if you want simple overclocking then just use the coolbits regtweak. Especially as it has that neat little 'AutoDetect' feature.

The Baron
12-16-03, 10:56 AM
See, in the B's Pantheon of Crazily Good People, Unwinder is somewhere at the top of Mount Olympus. So RivaTuner. Plus, I don't think it forgets your settings like Coolbits does.

mrsabidji
12-16-03, 11:25 AM
No, it doesn't. :)

As for the memory it may use when running in the background...

Actually it uses 4892 KB (here).

mrsabidji

Smokey
12-16-03, 12:44 PM
I use RivaTuner.

For overclocking, I just enable it in RivaTuner, then accually do my overclocking in my drivers, I use RivaTuner also for disabling vsync in DirectX.

k3nnis
12-16-03, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the reply guys :)
I guess i will use Rivatuner after all:)

IF coolbits can retain the overclocks after a few reboots then i will probably go with it, but since it still has a few bugs i will use rivatuner for now:)

Cheers.
Kenn.

k3nnis
12-17-03, 12:47 AM
Hi guys,

In the latest rivatuner, i have a core clock of 300 and a memory clock of 800, is this for the 2d mode i suppose? How do i change the clock settings for 3D mode in rivatuner?

I have a BFG Asylum FX5900NU 128MB.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Smokey
12-17-03, 02:12 AM
Im not sure with the FX cards, but once you enable overclocking in RivaTuner, cant you just go to your actual drivers after that and adjust your OC from there?

gstanford
12-17-03, 03:13 AM
There has to be a reason why coolbits is not retaining the overclock. I've been overclocking my GF4 card through coolbits since I purchased it and have yet to have it alter clock speeds on me. Perhaps it works slightly differently for GF-FX users, but I'd guess the driver is detecting something about the card/conditions it doesn't like and adjusting the clocks accordingly.

k3nnis
12-17-03, 04:02 AM
Hi.

Thanks i will try coolbits+rivatuner:) It seems that rivatuner doesn't have overclocking for fx cards by itself.

Cheers.
Kenn.

bkswaney
12-17-03, 05:18 AM
I had coolbits first then for RT.

I vote for RT all the way! :)

Plus u get all the AA modes u do not see with cb's.

k3nnis
12-17-03, 05:54 AM
Hi.

Thanks. So to overclock FX5900 card WITH rivatuner, i need to install coolbits AND Rivatuner?

Cheers.
Kenn.

mrsabidji
12-17-03, 09:26 AM
Nope. RivaTuner can overclock at driver level and hardware level. And it does much more. So, if you just need to OC your card, period, go for Coolbits. If you rather want to tweak your driver and card and unlock hidden features, etc... then you should give RivaTuner a try.

mrsabidji

k3nnis
12-17-03, 06:57 PM
Hi.

Cheers.
Kenn.