PDA

View Full Version : System won't start, help?

bigrydes
12-16-03, 11:00 AM
HI, I'm a long time reader first time poster. I just built a new system for my girlfriend for christmas, the contents are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512MB PC2100 (Crucial)
Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus
ATI Radeon 9600 SE 128MB
Thermalright SLK ALX-800w/80mm red UV reactive fan w/UV cold cathode
Seagate 40gig HD
Aopen 52x burner
floppy
one blue LED intake fan w/cold cathode UV fan grille
12" and 4" cold cathode UV lamps
350 watt PSU (Enermax)

The problem is that when I start the PC it makes one long beep and one short beep (like BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPBEEP) and then turns off, all the fans and stuff come on but only for the moments before the beeps. I tried a different DIMM of RAM that I know works and a different vid card that I know works. Thought maybe the 350 watts wasn't enough so I disconnected everything but the HD and had the same problem. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, I also checked all the connections and everything is cool in that area.

Thanks,
Rydes

stncttr908
12-16-03, 11:26 AM
From computerhope.com
1 long, 2 short indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information Any other beep(s) RAM problem. There isn't any mention of the beep code you describe for the Award BIOS platform.

Now, do the other RAM and video card you tried work? I'm a bit confused about your statement that "you know they work" considering that could mean they work in other setups or they work with this setup. I'm assuming you mean they work elsewhere, but not with this board.

Have you reset the CMOS?

bigrydes
12-16-03, 11:38 AM
Sorry about the confusion, I have my system next to the one I'm working on and tried both a DIMM from my PC and my PCs vid card both of which work in my PC. I haven't reset CMOS yet, that was my next step but I had to go to work, I figured I'd post here and see if there were any other suggestions so that when I go home I have a list of things that could hopefully work if resetting the CMOS doesn't.

Thanks,
Rydes

stncttr908
12-16-03, 12:30 PM
No worries mate. I've been pretty lucky with all of my setups I suppose, so I'm not very well schooled in the "How come this doesn't work properly" field when it comes to a board that won't POST. I'm sure some of the more unfortunates will be along in due time to give you further advice.

bigrydes
12-16-03, 11:48 PM
Well, in case you were wondering it looks like my mobo is defective. I switched out all of the parts with stuff from my working pc to no avail. This really sux, now the christmas present isn't going to be ready in time 'cause I'll have to ship this damn mobo back and wait for them to replace it.

Thanks anyway,
Rydes

UDawg
12-16-03, 11:49 PM
http://forums.amdmb.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

This is a Soyo forum at Amdmb.com. Register there and post your problems. There are a lot of people there that love Soyo and there for know them inside and out. Hope that points you in the right direction.

I was wondering about the board. Soyo seem a bit flimsy to me. I have worked on a few and they were very buggy.

Take her out to dinner and lavish her with romance then give the present later. :p

bigrydes
12-17-03, 11:28 AM
Thanks alot, as soon as my crappy Yahoo mail comes back up I'll register. As for the GF, unfortunately she already knows she's getting a computer, but she doesn't know how sweet it's gonna look and run. She's used to using a POS old E-Machine with an Intel Celery.

Thanks again,
Rydes