PDA

View Full Version : XFX 5900 issues

Aaron
12-17-03, 09:11 AM
So I put this XFX GeforceFX 5900 into this machine (P4 1.7ghz, 512mb) today and I've got a couple problems. First thing is, this card is not running up to its potential at all. I've been using it with Tron 2.0 and the framerate at 1024x768 leaves something to be desired. In my system at home with a Radeon 9600XT, it smokes Tron 2.0 at 1600x1200 and I'm expecting at least that kind of performance from this 5900 card.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the poor performance has to do with two other problems. One is that in the control panel for the 5900, under "Adapter Information", it says Bus: AGP (PCI mode). When I go into the Device Manager and look for the 5900 there, under Location, it says "PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0". Also, under Other devices in Device Manager, there is an unknown PCI Device, which strikes me as strange because there are no PCI cards installed on the system. I tried going into the system bios and disabled the PCI slots, but it didn't change anything.

The other problem is that at startup, an Nvidia dialog box comes up and says "The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power." Then it says "To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations".

There was no supplemental power cable for the card in the box. Was this model supposed to come with one? Are these two problems indepedent of each other or did the latter causes the former? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Aaron

saturnotaku
12-17-03, 09:13 AM
Did you actually plug the card into your power supply? If not, that's your problem right there. There is a reason why they put the molex connector right on the card, y'know.

MUYA
12-17-03, 09:29 AM
:lol2:

sorry man but was way too funny not to larf. Erm ya...plug in a spare molex plug into the connector

Aaron
12-17-03, 09:40 AM
yeah. i guess that was pretty stupid of me not to notice. but to my credit, the installation instructions don't make any mention of it. i guess i just didn't notice in my rush to get things moving. anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction since I probably wouldn't have figured it out on my own.

-Aaron

mrsabidji
12-17-03, 09:43 AM
I thought it was a joke :D.
Anyway, yes, 5900's do need an external power source. Your games are crawling 'cause the card is running in 'safe mode'.

mrsabidji

PS : I never read the instructions of anything I ever installed and I've never had a problem... er, ever. You should quit reading manuals.

Aaron
12-17-03, 09:49 AM
glad you're all so amused. :D

Kev1
12-17-03, 11:58 AM
When I was Noobe ATV rider and couldnt get my bike started, till my friend came over and turned the gas on :rolleyes:

saturnotaku
12-17-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
glad you're all so amused. :D

Seriously, though you're not the only one I've encountered who neglected to do this. I sold a card just like yours to someone and he was demanding that I give him a refund because of the exact symptoms you described. I asked if he plugged the card in, and all of a sudden the card was working perfectly. :eek:

So don't feel too bad. :cool:

Aaron
12-17-03, 12:54 PM
oh i don't feel bad. the card works fine, i'm happy. i'm thick skinned enough to take some ridicule from nvnews forum-goers.

qballshalls2002
12-17-03, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
oh i don't feel bad. the card works fine, i'm happy. i'm thick skinned enough to take some ridicule from nvnews forum-goers.

How does your 5900 run compared to your Radeon9600?Is it faster?Are there more effects being used?Less studdering?

Edge
12-18-03, 05:06 PM
Yeah, if I had a card that needed an extra power hookup, I'd have probably made the same mistake. When I was looking through the manual of my 9600, and saw that one of the installation steps for the 9800 cards was to plug a power connector from your PSU to your videocard, my first reaction was "WTF? When did technology take a step back to the Voodoo 5?". But at least it tells you the problem when you start up.

BTW, what are the default clocks when you start it up without the power cord connected? I think it would be pretty impressive that it's still actually playable at 1024x768 if it only defaults to 100/100 or so (that's like Voodoo 2 speeds).