PDA

View Full Version : Which situation is optimal?

saturnotaku
12-17-03, 04:26 PM
Been looking at some higher performance DDR memory for my system as one of my Mushkin sticks blew out (fault of the motherboard, but Mushkin hasn't responded in three days to my support inquiry so f them with a screwdriver).

Anywho, I've seen a wide variety of memory speeds and brands out there. I want to get 1 GB for dual channel, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. I'm looking at OCZ, GeiL and Corsair, but I'm not here to ask about which is the best.

I want to know which situation will give me the best performance/bandwidth. Will I get better results by running memory at a lower FSB but with tighter RAM timings, or would a higher FSB but looser timings be better? For example, would running PC3500 memory on a 205 FSB at 2-3-3-6 be better than running on a 215 FSB at 2.5-4-4-7 or 3-4-4-8? This will be a big factor in determining what brand and speed memory I get. As always, help is greatly appreciated. :)

UDawg
12-18-03, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Been looking at some higher performance DDR memory for my system as one of my Mushkin sticks blew out (fault of the motherboard, but Mushkin hasn't responded in three days to my support inquiry so f them with a screwdriver).

Anywho, I've seen a wide variety of memory speeds and brands out there. I want to get 1 GB for dual channel, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. I'm looking at OCZ, GeiL and Corsair, but I'm not here to ask about which is the best.

I want to know which situation will give me the best performance/bandwidth. Will I get better results by running memory at a lower FSB but with tighter RAM timings, or would a higher FSB but looser timings be better? For example, would running PC3500 memory on a 205 FSB at 2-3-3-6 be better than running on a 215 FSB at 2.5-4-4-7 or 3-4-4-8? This will be a big factor in determining what brand and speed memory I get. As always, help is greatly appreciated. :)

Depends on your mobo. Which one do you have?

Smokey
12-19-03, 05:01 AM
You would have to run the tests yourself, but I would be betting on the higher FSB with lax timings would be still better than lower fsb with tighter timings.

Gator
12-19-03, 06:42 AM
I never recommend OCZ products, I've read nothing about complaints with that reseller, apparently they have the worst customer support out there.

Geil is good quality, but alas there is a rumor going around the web that they may go out of business so that can makes their warranty worthless.

I recommend Corsair, Crucial, or Kingston.

saturnotaku
12-19-03, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by UDawg
Depends on your mobo. Which one do you have?

Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0.

I never recommend OCZ products, I've read nothing about complaints with that reseller, apparently they have the worst customer support out there.

I think you're thinking of the OCZ Store, in which case you're absolutely correct. But it looks like they don't operate a store any more and work exclusively through retail/online distribution channels.

UDawg
12-19-03, 11:01 AM
I would up the FSB then and get Corsair. Corsair is my personal favorite but it has the track record to back it up.

MUYA
12-19-03, 11:05 AM
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=ddr400myths&page=1
A good article

The higher performance modules (such as Kingston and Corsair) can often hit speeds of 500 MHz or more if the memory timings are kept at fairly conservative levels. Many have found this out before me, which is why we've seen the introduction of DDR-466 and DDR-500 memory modules. These supposed higher clocked modules are based on the same technology as today's DDR-400 modules, but sacrifice low-latency operation for higher clock speeds.

ragejg
12-19-03, 11:10 AM
OCZ Gold PC3700 is teh shizzle... it's like the only good thing that I ever heard about from them... It's laser-modified samsung tcb3, capable of incredible speeds...

Personally I stick to samsung chips, but I like to run @ loose timings...