PDA

View Full Version : Creative FX5900(SE) Review Feedback Thread

ragejg
12-17-03, 10:47 PM
Well, the review's finally done and up on the front page. I hope it offers some benificial information on this chipset's strengths vs. the NV31 core... Heck, to me it made it look like upgrading from a 5600U to a 5900SE was a worthwhile thing, and certainly worth the money to anyone considering such an upgrade.

...And peeps: this wil be corrected soon, I assume: the size comparison pic with the 3 cards shows the 2 FX's with a naked GF3, not a Radeon 8500... editing typo... whoops. :p

I'm sure the review would look a little more "full" if the nforce2 setup was used for more gameplay benchmarks, but things just didn't work out that way... heck, the card still performed hella-good even in the kt266a setup!

Kudos to MikeC for adding the Call of Duty IQ comparison. There are also some TMNT Demo AA comparison screenshots/blowups, but I'm not sure if they're going to make it into this review...

Overall, I think the editors did a terrific job in deciphering my drivel, and I'd like to thank them for their help in aiding in the publishing of my first review.

So, it's feedback time... :)

FYI: the kt266a system has been reconfigured, as has the nforce2 setup... so the amount of gameplay results/banchmarks is final... I can assure you that the next performance oriented review done by myself will include an improved selection of game benchmarks...

:D:D

MUYA
12-17-03, 10:58 PM
Great work Rage! ;)

MUYA

ChrisRay
12-18-03, 05:13 AM
I think it's a great review, However if it is possible to later add in a Geforce FX 5700 Ultra, Since it is more in line with 5900SE pricing. I believe it would be of great benefit to us all :)

Otherwise, Very informative,.

ragejg
12-18-03, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the kind words, ChrisRay... If we had access to a 5700U, we'd do some testing on it, but the 5900SE/5600U comparison was all we could do... too bad our systems have been reconfigured...

@ ~425-450mhz core, ~750mhz memory, this card performs admirably... ramsinks and some shin-etsu may increase the OC headroom a little... I'll be checking that out soon... after I'm done working on another upcoming review...

:)

ragejg
12-19-03, 07:16 AM
For those of you that missed it:

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/3dblaster_fx_5900/index.shtml

///me wishes I had a 5700U back @ review inception/// :rolleyes: :)

Malfunction
12-19-03, 12:59 PM
Good work ragejg! :thumbsup:

I'll tell ya what I would have liked to see is nVnews.net come out with their own custom demo for Call of Duty. It is very easy to do, and would be great to allow us access to the demo file(s) once completed. This way we can all see the same demo you made and make our own conclusions on our own systems. Win/Win = :D

Here's how:

In case some people haven't figured it out save the script below to record.cfg and save in your Main folder.
Add the line: exec record.cfg to your config_mp.cfg

Now each time you are in a game and you want to start recording a demo type "j" to start or stop demos.
To play back bring down console (in multiplayer) and type /demo gamedemo1.dm_1 ...etc
Note: The script below only creates up to 5 demos. Unless you want to overwrite demo1 you must move it to another Directory.
When you start a game again and exec script it will start recording to filename: gamedemo1 again.
Hope this helped someone..

//Record.cfg Demo Script
// Start and Stop a group of demos
set toggle1 "g_syncronousClients 1; vstr nextdemo; g_syncronousClients 0; set nexttoggle vstr toggle2"
set toggle2 "stoprecord; set nexttoggle vstr toggle1; echo Stop Recording ..."
set nexttoggle "vstr toggle1"
bind j "vstr nexttoggle"

set demo1 "record gamedemo1; set nextdemo vstr demo2; echo Recording Demo #1"
set demo2 "record gamedemo2; set nextdemo vstr demo3; echo Recording Demo #2"
set demo3 "record gamedemo3; set nextdemo vstr demo4; echo Recording Demo #3"
set demo4 "record gamedemo4; set nextdemo vstr demo5; echo Recording Demo #4"
set demo5 "record gamedemo5; set nextdemo vstr demo6; echo Recording Demo #5 - last demo"
set demo6 "echo no more demos"
set nextdemo "vstr demo1"

Then making sure you do the following:

The line I altered in the .CFG's was:
seta com_maxfps "1000"

and the line I added was:
seta r_displayrefresh "100" *or to whatever your monitor refresh can be.

That would be really cool if ya could next time. :dance:

Peace,

:jumping:

goofjb
12-19-03, 01:24 PM
I like the finished product rage. Although I contributed data I didn't do much in the line of writing anything. Wish I had more time to do those game benchmarks and round out all the results.

MikeC
12-19-03, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Malfunction
I'll tell ya what I would have liked to see is nVnews.net come out with their own custom demo for Call of Duty.

Thanks for the info. I could have used it last night, but managed to record a couple of demos that we will be able to use in future reviews.

From what I understand there is no command that disables sound. But you can get around that by disabling on-board sound if that option is available in the BIOS.

The Baron
12-19-03, 04:52 PM
From what I understand there is no command that disables sound. But you can get around that by disabling on-board sound if that option is available in the BIOS.
Or, couldn't you just disable it in Windows? That seems a lot simpler than BIOS stuff.

I'll look for a way to disable sound, though. Maybe a command to put in autoexec.cfg.

ragejg
12-19-03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by OWA
Very nicely done ragejg!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles demo??? :)

I found it to be an interesting pick due to:

1. Cel Shading
2. GF3 Baseline Requirement
3. Full playability @ 10x7, 8xAA/8XAF on the 5900... this comletely choked the 5600U...

SH0DAN
12-24-03, 10:08 PM
good review