PDA

View Full Version : Safe overclock

ATi
12-19-03, 05:28 AM
what will be a safe over clock for a pny fx 5900 ultra and will it die if it will how long will it take?
________
iolite portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

saturnotaku
12-19-03, 07:11 AM
The safest overclock speed is whatever your card can handle without locking up (core speed too high) or giving visual artifacts (memory too high). The overclock you get will depend on the exact card in your system. Someone who has the exact same system as yours with another video card of the same brand/model will get a different overclock than you get.

Best way to determine your speed is to the NVIDIA auto-detect feature in Coolbits (to enable it, search this forum for the registry entry or download from www.guru3d.com). Start there, run some loops of 3DMark 2001. If all goes well you can bump the core and memory frequencies up by 5 MHz, repeat benchmarking loop and keep doing that until you get lockups and/or artifacts.

CWB
12-19-03, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
The safest overclock speed is whatever your card can handle without locking up (core speed too high) or giving visual artifacts (memory too high). The overclock you get will depend on the exact card in your system. Someone who has the exact same system as yours with another video card of the same brand/model will get a different overclock than you get.

Best way to determine your speed is to the NVIDIA auto-detect feature in Coolbits (to enable it, search this forum for the registry entry or download from www.guru3d.com). Start there, run some loops of 3DMark 2001. If all goes well you can bump the core and memory frequencies up by 5 MHz, repeat benchmarking loop and keep doing that until you get lockups and/or artifacts.

I dont have a 5900 yet, but plan to get one for Christmas. Just out of curiosity, how does the auto-detect select "safe" core/mem speeds?

ATi
12-19-03, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by OWA
I have a PNY 5900U and I usually run mine at 500/960. The highest I can do is 510/970. I'd use the auto-detect and start from there. I'm basically using the recommended overclock. With the 53.03s, it gave 498 / 549. Some earlier drivers recommended 505/968. There was one set of leaked drivers that really recommended an overclock that was too high for the ultra. It was the set that came out around the time of the 5950 and it seemed like the auto-detect was thinking the 5900U was a 5950. It recommeded something like 520/1ghz. That's when I found I couldn't pass the test settings until dropping down to 510/970. With the latest drivers, the auto-detect is functioning correctly for me.

Not sure how it works though.

will 500/900 be cool for me?

what will win my pc or a dell xps
my pc
intel p4 3.0c ht overclocked at 3.3c
asus p4p800 deluxe
768 ddr pc 3500
fx 5900 oced at 500/900

V.S
dell xps
intel p4 3.2c ht
intel motherboard
1024 pc 3200
ati 9800 pro 128mb
________
silver surfer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

ragejg
12-19-03, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ATi
what will win

Win @ what?

fillrate?
3dmark01?
3dmark03?
Gameplay stability?
Linux compatibility?
AF perf. hit?
AA performance hit?
System temps?
Image Quality?

???

ATi
12-19-03, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
Win @ what?

fillrate?
3dmark01?
3dmark03?
Gameplay stability?
Linux compatibility?
AF perf. hit?
AA performance hit?
System temps?
Image Quality?

???
Gameplay stability
________
Kawasaki MT1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_MT1)

saturnotaku
12-19-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by OWA
I think you have a little more raw performance but I'm going to say it'll be a tie. How's that? :)

yuo r a fanboi, nvidia suX0RZ ati is teh king and hale to teh king babee!

Seriously, both cards have their strengths and weaknesses. Use whatever one best suits the games you play. And only you can be the judge of that. :)