PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. My Beautiful 19" Monitor :'(

PenguinJim
12-19-03, 08:23 AM
My monitor died last night. Dead dead dead dead dead. Well, except for the intense pixel-thick vertical line that appears in the centre of the screen after a few seconds. She was a 19" NEC Multisync FE950, and... well, let's just say I wouldn't write a forum post over any other pieces of hardware dying (unless there was a funny/interesting story to it, of course. Like, I broke my keyboard yesterday when I threw it at Janet Street-Porter's face).

Pretty good timing though. Twenty-four hours AFTER an important presentation :D and Christmas is coming! Time to defrost the 'rentals and ask them nicely for something expensive.

I'll probably hang on till the January sales, though (if I can handle this 800x600res for that long). If anyone in the UK sees any bargain monitors in the next couple of weeks, I'd love a heads-up. At the moment, it's still 350 for a DVI 16ms 17" TFT (which is the minimum I'd want (well, I'd be fine with 20ms), and about 50 more than I'm happy to pay). Also, does anyone have any ideas as to what to do with my old monitor? I'll try and use the council's PC Recycling Scheme (but the idea was only proposed a couple of years ago, so it's unlikely to come into effect until 2047). Otherwise, I'm thinking of scooping out the electron gun (love that misnomer) and creating a nice little aquarium. And if the fish annoy me, I can press the 'on' switch on the monitor and give them a taste of Texas justice :D.

PS. Considered putting this in the 'Other Graphics Cards' forum and insinuating that my new Radeon was the cause... but that would just be mean. Although I have been getting more hangovers since getting this new Radeon... must be a driver glitch :).

PPS. ARRRGH!!! 800x600 is doing my head in already...

vampireuk
12-19-03, 05:52 PM
Try it at 60hz too

You will be on your knees crying within minutes:eek:

PenguinJim
12-19-03, 06:10 PM
I'm already on my knees trying to get the cash together for a new monitor ;)

renegade77
12-21-03, 04:55 PM
hey i feel for u man i lost my 19inc last week it was a sad and horrendous event:o

PenguinJim
12-21-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by renegade77
hey i feel for u man i lost my 19inc last week it was a sad and horrendous event:o
Sucks to be us :(

On a brighter note, I join the world of TFTs a year earlier than I had planned. I'm looking at the Iiyama E431S, as they can be had for ~320 and seem pretty genius. Anyone know them or know a better alternative? 17" DVI is a must, and I'll mainly use it for desktop stuff and games.