PDA

View Full Version : My PC Upgrade


DaveW
09-26-02, 10:40 AM
Currently: P3 800, 384 PC133, ASUS P3V4X Mobo
Just Ordered: P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 PC2700 DDR, ASUS P4S8X Mobo

Total Cost (including shipping and PA sales tax) $506

Order Mobo and CPU from Newegg, memory from Crucial :)

saturnotaku
09-26-02, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by DaveW
Order Mobo and CPU from Newegg, memory from Crucial

Here's a man who knows where to shop. Congrats on the new system. It's gonna be killer for the price you paid. What GFX card will get to enjoy the full power of your new rig?

DaveW
09-26-02, 01:41 PM
I have a Ti4200 that overclocks very well to last me until the NV30 comes out :)

LORD-eX-Bu
09-27-02, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
Currently: P3 800, 384 PC133, ASUS P3V4X Mobo
Just Ordered: P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 PC2700 DDR, ASUS P4S8X Mobo

Total Cost (including shipping and PA sales tax) $506

Order Mobo and CPU from Newegg, memory from Crucial :)

Thats a great price! I got almost the same system as you now! I ordered from googlegear.com and got my 2.4 Ghz P4b for $192 shipped. That mobo you got is great especially since it has the sis 648 chipset, way to go! I opted for the MSI 648L-MAX for $96 shipped but I think I got ripped off with my PC3200 DDR but it runs CAS 2 perfectly and it is from Winbond, I paid $170 for it, so it is all good! way to go! I've never ordered anything from newegg before, maybe I should start.:D

LORD-eX-Bu
09-27-02, 07:38 PM
Once you have it all running(and me, lol, still waiting on some parts like a new HD and rounded cables and optical mouse) we gotta compare benchmark scores and all.:D

nin_fragile14
09-28-02, 10:10 AM
The 2.4 ghz is a good choice. Are you thinking overclocking it? Either way, it's going to seem a hundred times faster than the 800.

DaveW
09-30-02, 03:07 PM
The 2.4 ghz seems to be the same price as the 2.2 at present, and its only about 10 dollars more than the 2.0 ghz. You pay an extra 30 for the 2.56 so the 2.4 seems to be the sweet spot right now.

The ASUS mobo I got has some sweet features, AGP 8, serial ATA, onboard firewire and an onboard audio chipset (CMI 9739) that supposedly has less of a CPU impact than my SB Live (even with EAX enabled). I think I will toss my SB Live for now and try the onboard audio for a while. I usually frown on onboard audio, but CMedia has caught my interest.

The motherboard was around 140 dollars... there are plenty of cheaper P4 motherboards, but I always figure a good motherboard is worth paying extra for. It is a big factor in stability, compatibility, and can even influence your benchmarks by +/- 10%. I could have gotten a cheaper motherboard and a 2.56 ghz CPU instead, but I would be paying for it in the long run.

The stuff should arrive tomorrow (can't wait)... I just hope that fedex leaves the package because nobody is home during the day. I will be doing a fresh install of XP and post some 3D Marks.

DaveW
10-02-02, 01:51 AM
See my post on the main page about the problems I had =)

Anyway, after a little tweakage I got 11472 in the default 3D Mark 2001 SE Benckmark. Have the CPU running stable at 2502 mhz (I hate those odd numbers). I haven't tried tweaking the memory much yet, but I am pretty sure it won't do CAS 2.

|JuiceZ|
10-02-02, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by DaveW
See my post on the main page about the problems I had =)


dang, just read yer post man, sry to hear about the troubles w/ that mb. I know you've finally managed to get it stable but are you gonna keep it or do you have yer eye on something else?

DaveW
10-02-02, 11:53 AM
I didn't sleep at all last night, spending it instead reinstalling everything and trying out a few games. The mobo now seems very stable so I will stick with it, since it does still have a nice feature set - onboard audio (better than my SB Live), AGP8X, serial ATA, IDE Raid, 2xfirewire, 6xUSB2 ports etc. It also has speech synthesis for the bios alarms, rather than beep morse code at you it speaks "keyboard not detected"... scared the hell out of me the first time :)

Still, after all the crap I went through last night, I will be very cautious about buying anything ASUS in the future.

2 months ago I had a P3 800 and a GF2 GTS. Buying a GF4 Ti4200 doubled my benchmarks, and buying the new CPU/mobo doubled them again. The CPU/mobo upgrade had a largest effect on Morrowind; I can now max out the view distance and it still runs at twice the framerate of my P3 (when I had the view distance at 40%)

LORD-eX-Bu
10-02-02, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DaveW
I didn't sleep at all last night, spending it instead reinstalling everything and trying out a few games. The mobo now seems very stable so I will stick with it, since it does still have a nice feature set - onboard audio (better than my SB Live), AGP8X, serial ATA, IDE Raid, 2xfirewire, 6xUSB2 ports etc. It also has speech synthesis for the bios alarms, rather than beep morse code at you it speaks "keyboard not detected"... scared the hell out of me the first time :)

Still, after all the crap I went through last night, I will be very cautious about buying anything ASUS in the future.

2 months ago I had a P3 800 and a GF2 GTS. Buying a GF4 Ti4200 doubled my benchmarks, and buying the new CPU/mobo doubled them again. The CPU/mobo upgrade had a largest effect on Morrowind; I can now max out the view distance and it still runs at twice the framerate of my P3 (when I had the view distance at 40%)

Hey, is that mobo SIS 648 chipset? what onboard audio are you using? is it AC'97 2.0? I have something like that on my motherboard, but I use the d-bracke and S-bracket that came with it, it has a total of 8 usb including front USB. It comes with native blue tooth solution also. I thought it had firewire but I guess not, onboard lan tho, I guess I can always get a firewire card on pricegrabber.com or something, but yeah, good to hear you got your mobo workin' great.:D

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
Still, after all the crap I went through last night, I will be very cautious about buying anything ASUS in the future.


I've never been a fan of ASUS products, especially in light of the horrible experience I had with a DVD-ROM drive. I was thinking about buying the motherboard you had (because of the nice feature set). But after reading your woes, I think I'll invest my dollars elsewhere.

DaveW
10-02-02, 01:45 PM
Lord,

Yes its the SiS648 chipset. The onboard audio is AC'97 something - CMI 9739 6 channel Codec. Supports EAX 1 & 2 and A3D.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-02-02, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
Lord,

Yes its the SiS648 chipset. The onboard audio is AC'97 something - CMI 9739 6 channel Codec. Supports EAX 1 & 2 and A3D.

Oh ok cool! I didn't know AC'97 2.0 supported EAX. Okay, thanks.:D

DaveW
10-02-02, 08:29 PM
I just found out that I can run my P4 2.4 @ 2.7 :) I have to lower the memory speed to 150 though, which offsets and performance gains.

Evil17
10-09-02, 11:14 AM
have you tried benchmarking on 2.7 GHz?

your default benchmark almost double mine :P
my record with my system was about 58xx
I have a PIII 1GHz, Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200 on Abit VH6 board, running WinMe at that time, haven't tried benchmarking since changing to winXP and changing harddisk, but dun think i'll do any better until I can persuade my system to run my harddisk on ATA100