PDA

View Full Version : Why is my MB hotter than my CPU?

RobHague
12-19-03, 05:57 PM
No really.

My CPU is sitting @ 30*c
My Mainboard is 39*c.

The board always seems to be hotter than the CPU. Its the mainboard thats in my sig and while i have no case fans, i would expect the CPU to be hotter than the mainboard no matter what.

Thoughts, im confused about it really.

RAY16
12-19-03, 06:04 PM
If you're using Asus probe, i'm sure it's a bug. When I use the version of Asus probe that came with my mobo my CPU is higher than my mobo, but if I use a newer version it gets turned around.

RobHague
12-19-03, 06:06 PM
Ahhhhh, ok ill get the newest version and see. I am using the one that came on the CD.

Sazar
12-19-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
No really.

My CPU is sitting @ 30*c
My Mainboard is 39*c.

The board always seems to be hotter than the CPU. Its the mainboard thats in my sig and while i have no case fans, i would expect the CPU to be hotter than the mainboard no matter what.

Thoughts, im confused about it really.

the sensors are buggered m8... it should be switched...

RobHague
12-19-03, 09:02 PM
Ok,

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and downloaded the latest version of Asus Probe 2.

It's still the same. :confused:

Very odd.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=249050

*edit* Is it actually pysically possible for the CPU to be cooler than the inside of the case?? Maybe the graphics card / ram or whatever are quite near the thermal sensor???

Rytr
12-19-03, 09:34 PM
Looks like it is still reversed. :(

Might try the old reliable test, touch and feel. Just make sure you have no static charge (use a wrist strap or other technique) to avoid static electricity from damaging any sensitive electrical components. Static discharge can critically damage sensitive components including the cpu.

Otherwise, use a temperature probe and test each of the heat generating components and other potential hotspots in the case where heat buildup may occur.

RobHague
12-20-03, 07:59 AM
Ok, it isnt reversed.

I did a history record of it while i played a game.

The MB temp rose at a steady pace, the CPU temp was normal and then suddenly shot up to the same temp as the board.

Either the temp sensor for the MB is out of whack or its near the graphics card or something strange. Im not sure if im the only person having this problem with the board though :confused:

Rytr
12-20-03, 08:41 AM
Might want to check the temps with another program such as MBM.

Dazz
12-20-03, 09:30 AM
No bug, the Board is cooled passivly by a HS while the CPU has a HSF. Also Intel chipsets can get abit hot as it is.

RobHague
12-20-03, 10:08 AM
Of course! :banghead: Doh! LoL thanks Dazz :)

Ok, so i know why now :) thats fine. Just as long as i know there isnt a problem. If those readings are true then the cpu temp isnt half bad. Thats with the stock cooler and a little ShinEtsu thermal pad.

Dazz
12-20-03, 04:18 PM
You will notice the CPU will get alot hotter once games are being played for a fair while, but your boards temp will increase about 4C underload.