PDA

View Full Version : woohoo, finally ordered my new mobo n ram..

Nutty
12-20-03, 06:06 PM
Abit Nforce2 NF7-S 2.0, and 512MB of corsair LL 3200 DDR. Yum. Should be here tuesday.. can finally drop-kick me SDRAM :D

So what stuff will I need?

1) Latest Mobo bios.
2) NV chipset drivers.

Thats it right? Anyone got any tips they can quickly give, might save me some hassle grief.. This is actually the 1st time I'll be fitting a new mobo. I'm all excited now.. :afro2:

Viral
12-20-03, 08:25 PM
Same as what i got:)

Anyway, its all fairly straight forward really..

If you want a 3200+, just go to your BOIS, then into the soft menu III section, and it should have an option to set your processor as a 2500+, 3200+ or user define, its that easy:p I diddn't have to change the v-core and i am yet to know someone who hasn't been able to reach 3200+ speeds yet unless they had crappy RAM.

That reminds me.. i havent updated my BIOS.. i'm kinda a bit hesitant to change something that is working so well.

I had no problems installing mine, and i'm still quite a noobie at this stuff. So just make sure you know everything you have to do and make sure you do it.

MUYA
12-21-03, 03:31 AM
Great choice...as I have that mobo as well :D The latest BIOS updates and latest nForce drivers work great for me :)

All available at their respective websites

Dazz
12-21-03, 07:19 AM
Wow you where still using SDRAM :eek:

Nutty
12-21-03, 08:15 AM
Yeah still on SDRAM.. :(

I guess I have to do a full install of windows huh? Man I've been dreading this day for ages.. I have soo much stuff installed its gonna take me a week to get everything back on..

Is it possible to not have to do a fresh windows install, changing mobo?

digitalwanderer
12-21-03, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Nutty
Is it possible to not have to do a fresh windows install, changing mobo?
Long/short, no....no way in hell, not at all.

I've tried it a few times, and the very closest I've come to pulling it off was swapping a CUSL2-C for a TUSL2-C, but even that ended up requiring a fresh install. (I did manage to do the swap and boot up into windows, but I had a bazillion squirly little problems that I couldn't clear up.)

You CAN do it, but not very well and ya really shouldn't. If you're going to try it my best advice would be to back up everything critical first since there is a VERY good chance that you'll be reformatting your drive anyways.

Malfunction
12-21-03, 09:46 AM
I guess I have to do a full install of windows huh?

What a pain in the ass, and it only gets worse with larger HD's sadly. :( I feel your pain... hehe, had to do it last week myself. Glad I did though.

Peace,

:afro:

Nutty
12-21-03, 10:33 AM
I think I might do a small partition for windows, so in future I will always install programs to elsewhere than default, and so I'll just have to re-do that tiny partition each time.

Most of my stuff is on my 2nd drive, but loads of apps are on the main one.. bah..
oh well.. my windows is flakey as hell anyway. Explorer shell randomly reboots or crashes.. :/

The Baron
12-21-03, 11:01 AM
I think I might do a small partition for windows, so in future I will always install programs to elsewhere than default, and so I'll just have to re-do that tiny partition each time.
that's not even a great idea because of the registry.

Malfunction
12-21-03, 11:13 AM

Most of my stuff is on my 2nd drive, but loads of apps are on the main one.. bah..
oh well.. my windows is flakey as hell anyway. Explorer shell randomly reboots or crashes.. :/

Ya, I got my C:\ setup with 20GB alone so I never have to mess with it. I have the other partitions setup the same so they never slow down my boot partition: Program(s)/Game(s)/ISO(s)/Misc. Draw back is you can only have so many Extended Partitions on a Drive, the rest have to be logical. I think it's like 3, however you can just restore or reformat C:\ anytime now and still have the programs and partition on the extended/logical partition IIRC. :)

Peace,

:afro:

Nutty
12-21-03, 11:45 AM
Well alot of stuff doesn't really need the registry, but I could back it up if I needed to.

Viral
12-21-03, 06:33 PM
You CAN keep the same windows install when changing your mobo, but i have only done this when changing from a nvidia Nforce2 to a nvidia nforce2 ;p So the same chipset with the same drivers.. i still uninstalled the drivers and got the newest ones to install just to have a clean install for the mobo though..

But changing between chipsets.. well last time i tried that it completely messed up.. i couldnt even get into windows. It ended up completely messing up my hard drive and making the partitions unrecognisable ... even after formatting the damn thing was just broke for no reason:confused: luckily it was under warranty and i got a new 7200.7 (much better than the B5's from my experience with both). Anyway i have no idea why this happened and it really shouldn't have.. but i wouldn't recomend changing mobo's of different chipsets on the same windows install.

Nutty
12-22-03, 06:46 PM
Well the couriers already have it, so its guaranteed delivery tomorrow. :) (or today even :))

Anyone know the formula for working out PR ratings from actual speed, on a Barton ?

P.S. Whats the deal with IDE drivers? Do I just use the ones in Nvidia's chipset package or what? I grabbed Abits NF7-S IDE drivers just in case too.

stncttr908
12-22-03, 06:52 PM
There were some problems with the nvidia IDE drivers, but I believe those have all been ironed out by now. Do a comparison test in Sandra and see which is faster for you.

And without a doubt, do a clean install of your operating system.

Nutty
12-22-03, 06:55 PM
Yeah I'm gonna.. As much as I'd like not too, my current OS is flakey. Hey its been about 4 years since my last format! :) Explorer shell crashes and reboots itself for no apparent reason if I do too much in windows explorer.. :(

Good time to clear the crap out. :)

stncttr908
12-22-03, 07:14 PM
Yeah I'm gonna.. As much as I'd like not too, my current OS is flakey. Hey its been about 4 years since my last format! :) Explorer shell crashes and reboots itself for no apparent reason if I do too much in windows explorer.. :(

Good time to clear the crap out. :) A four year old install? I'd go crazy. :wtf:

Nutty
12-25-03, 06:08 PM
Well finally running on me new mobo.

Bloody thing is, I just got it up and running, and I'm away up north to see folks for a week...

Currently running at 200x9.5 (1.9Ghz) No problems at all installing. Booted up 1st time. :)

Almost didn't have net access cos my mac address has changed, so my ISP needed re-registering.. (on christmas day?! yeah right) Luckily, I plugged in my old flakey router thats using the mac address of me old PC. And it works :)

Just a few hours of install to go.. Gonna try 3dmark in a mo.. as soon as I download the patch for it.

Nutty
12-25-03, 07:31 PM
Few other things..

Either my core voltage is way lower, or my thermistors were wacked on my old board, cos I'm running several degrees cooler at 1.9ghz, than I was at 1.6ghz. :)

Did a quick 32mark2k1 test, got about 12000 marks. Used to get about 8000 on me old board. Is that any good, or way off?

I'm gonna order an SLK 9000 jobby soon, and crank the speed a bit higher.

Audio sounds great.

Theres soo much space in my case now.. :) Only 1 card in there..

I love it.. just wish I had some time to play, before going away... :(

Dazz
12-26-03, 07:48 AM
Me when i first got my K7N2 & XP 2500+ i posted at 1.83GHz then overclocked it right to 2.1GHz (XP3000+ 400MHz FSB) But after beinging stuck with an A7M266 + an XP2100 poly i was diying to overclock something :) I have used the CPU at it's defualt speed ONCE and that was to test the temps. going from 1.83GHz to 2.2GHz increased the temp by only 2C well worth it!!!! However once you bump up the voltage the heat really does build up. I use my Volcano 7+ in silent mode (24dBA 3000rpm) all the time, temps are anything from 46/55C (1.66v) I/L but once i bump it up to 1.8v at the same speeds it's 52/65 so i have to increase the speed of the fan :( but it shows how much of a diffrence the voltage makes to heat.

The chances are your CPU will do 2.2GHz with defualt voltage too :)

PsychoSy
12-27-03, 05:48 AM
By the Holy Spiggit of Jebus, I beg you ... immigrate to avoid nVidia IDE drivers and stick with the Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller driver that's native to Windows. I actually thought that the last Nvidia chipset release was damn good and the IDE issues were mostly fixed.

That was until I went to make me a homemade music mix CD. I use the freeware CD-Ex program to extract WAV files and that wouldn't detect my burner at all. I thought it was an ASPI problem and reforced an ASPI layer install. No go there. I also installed the latest version of CD-Ex to no avail. I then fired up Nero and Nero would not detect my burner either. Updated Nero to the latest version and still didn't work. However, music CDs would play in Winamp or WMP 9 and all my games would install fine.

Suspecting Nvidia's IDE drivers, I looked into my device manager and swapped them for Microsoft's native "Standard Dual" drivers. After a reboot, both Nero and CD-Ex worked perfectly again.

No offense to Nvidia but after having this board for 6-8 months now, I'm beyond the point of using my rig (and precious data) as a guinea pig for their experiments with every nForce driver release. Everytime new nVidia chipset drivers come out, I quickly revert back to Microsoft's default IDE driver to save me time and trouble. One of Nvidia's arguments that I tend to agree with is "you don't play 3DMark 2003".

I take it one step further - I don't play Norton Ghost, either! :p ;)

The more I avoid their IDE Drivers is the less I have to play with Norton Ghost! :angel:

Dazz
12-27-03, 08:05 AM
Their last batch was great didn't really do anything with the IDE, speed was upped slightly.

Scott@Bjorn3D
12-27-03, 11:25 AM
Here is what to do if you do not want to lose everything you have.

Off coarse backup anything important incase you do have problems.

Download the latest drivers for the nForce.

DO NOT INSTALL THEM.

Make sure in your BIOS you can boot from the CD drive.

Boot off your XP CD

Tell it to do an install, NOT the Recovery Console.

It will find your XP install and want to know if you want to repair it.

Yes you want to repair it.

This install basically goes like an upgrade and keeps all your software. When it is done you will want to install the latest nForce software and USB 2.0 drivers that should come on the vendors CD.

You will also have to run Windows Update to make sure everything is up to snuff.

I hope this helped. I do it all the time since my main computer changes 1-2 times a year thanks to NVIDIA :)

Unified drivers are great, my move from nForce 2 to nForce 3 worked like a charm.

ragejg
12-27-03, 12:03 PM
heh, it must be everybody's time to have an nforce2... :p

I just recently got this 8RDA+ 1.1, I just recieved a Chaintech 7NJL1 from newegg ($60, box sez nforce2 ultra... but I took NB HSF off and #1 there was NO thermal grease, #2 the chip does NOT say nf2-ultra 400<<steppings are A4 and A1>>>... oh well, it's still a good mobo, but I have half a mind to rma it ), and I have a A7N8X (did I get that right?) on the way as well...

Heh, 2 stay, and one is going into a buddy's system... I'm sstill debating on which one to let go of...

My 2 will have Barton 2500's, and the other one will make do with a 1700 hopefull @ 200fsb, 2.0-2.2ghz... teh 8RDA has already proven itself by giving me 215fsb @ 2.05ghz with the 1700...