PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 53.03: Encountered two problems

ATI_Dude
12-21-03, 08:02 AM
After upgrading to the FW 53.03 drivers I've encountered two problems:

1. I cannot get 8xS antialiasing to work in Direct3D while it works fine in OpenGL.

2. I reinstalled Quake in order to try out how Tenebrae would run compared to my Radeon 9800 Pro. Unfortunately I get this error "no 32 bit modes found". Both GLQuake and WinQuake report no 32 bit modes found besides 400x320x32. 32 bit mode works fine in other Quake based games.

I've cleared the system of remnants from previous drivers using Drivercleaner but to no avail. Can anyone help or confirm that these issues are not isolated to my system?

Update:

I just reformatted and reinstalled everything from scratch. Both bugs are still there so I guess there isn't anything to do about other than wait for a fix in a future driver. No more Tenebrae or 8xS AA support in D3D for now I guess :(

saturnotaku
12-21-03, 09:16 PM
For the Quake problem, if there's an OpenGL32.dll file located in the game directory, delete it. That should force it to use nvoglnt.dll and all modes should be present.

ATI_Dude
12-22-03, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
For the Quake problem, if there's an OpenGL32.dll file located in the game directory, delete it. That should force it to use nvoglnt.dll and all modes should be present.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked that no opengl32.dll og glide2x.dll were present. I've searched various websites and apparantly Quake is sometimes unable to read the correct display modes with every NVIDIA driver since 44.03. In my case it only reads the 16 bit modes and the 320x200x32 mode.

ATI_Dude
12-22-03, 07:41 AM
I managed to fix the 32 bit Quake problem by resorting to Windows 98/Me compatability mode. Unfortunately there're some bugs with Diffuse Mapping and Tenebrae, so I'll just stick with GLquake for now.

saturnotaku
12-22-03, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by ATI_Dude
I managed to fix the 32 bit Quake problem by resorting to Windows 98/Me compatability mode. Unfortunately there're some bugs with Diffuse Mapping and Tenebrae, so I'll just stick with GLquake for now.

That's weird. I use Windows 95 compatibility mode and don't notice any problems. Of course I'm using an ATI card so that could be part of the issue.

ATI_Dude
12-22-03, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's weird. I use Windows 95 compatibility mode and don't notice any problems. Of course I'm using an ATI card so that could be part of the issue.

Tenebrae works better with Radeon cards. I've played it with a Radeon 9800 Pro without any problems besides performance. I'll try Windows 95 compatability mode to see if it works better.