PDA

View Full Version : BattleField Problem?

styles-T
09-26-02, 05:31 PM
Under Win2k..

After I installed it I hit the .exe to start the game and the screen shows me The Battlefield Logo then Blinks Black and goes right back to my desktop??

Ive tried with and with out the patch?

Any suggestions?

All my other games play fine...

zippermcfrag
09-26-02, 07:44 PM
reinstall your video drivers. Then it will work. Don't use any program to change your herts setings.

styles-T
09-26-02, 08:06 PM
really? Ill give it a go..

The only thing that I changed was my refreshrate for win2k..Im using refreshlock..

Thx d00d..

zippermcfrag
09-26-02, 09:53 PM
that's your problem "The only thing that I changed was my refreshrate for win2k" Battlefield doesn't like that. don't change your refreshrate. If you do reinstall your video drivers

Phyre
09-26-02, 11:53 PM
Look in the settings directory and find the file VideoDefault.con. Change the following line

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to:
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

The multiplayer demo did the same thing to me. Doing the above fixed it right. It may work for the retail version...maybe not. It's worth a shot though.

Phyre

styles-T
09-27-02, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Phyre
Look in the settings directory and find the file VideoDefault.con. Change the following line

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to:
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

The multiplayer demo did the same thing to me. Doing the above fixed it right. It may work for the retail version...maybe not. It's worth a shot though.

Phyre

We have a winner...Thanx man..worked like a charm...

verncat
09-27-02, 11:52 AM
I did that and no luck. With the 40.71's, it just sends me back to the desktop with a Windows XP beep. EA tech support said that it is refresh rate related. OK, I already figured that part out. I was told I have to set windows refresh rate to 60hz then the game will run. What a load of sh*t!!! Is there another work-around? I sure hope a patch comes out very soon to fix this.

saturnotaku
09-27-02, 12:04 PM
This is yet another incident where I am quickly losing my faith in EA's ability to put a quality product on the shelves. MOHAA was the first ('cept the MP demo, which is a ton of fun) with its aberration of the Quake 3 engine, now this. You have to run at 60 Hz? Nuts to that I say. Sorry, I'm gonna spend my money on a game where developers spent more than 24-48 hours coding. :mad:

vampireuk
09-27-02, 05:07 PM
I just hope to god they sort out all the bugs, because this game kicks ass so much when its working fine.

MajBlunder
09-28-02, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
I just hope to god they sort out all the bugs, because this game kicks ass so much when its working fine.

Me too, game is just to addicting :cool:

Ramshambo2001
09-28-02, 11:46 AM
Phyre

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Ms. Milano sends her regards!;)

Matthyahuw
09-28-02, 05:05 PM
My BF1942 issue is I can't get it to go online to play...

lord kelvinn
09-28-02, 05:31 PM
And i'm having problems with the text on the game, looks blured, and is dificult to read, even on the menus.

MajBlunder
09-28-02, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by lord kelvinn
And i'm having problems with the text on the game, looks blured, and is dificult to read, even on the menus.

I get the samething when I enable AA of any type.

Phyre
09-29-02, 01:11 AM
No problem, ramshambo, enjoy.

Phyre

vampireuk
09-29-02, 07:36 AM
urgh I had a game today with the biggest lamers on the planet, around the allied airbase they would just run around and shoot each other on the same team. I took off in a plane and some moron from my team started shooting at me. I switch to the axis side and get attacked by the morons doing the same thing:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MajBlunder
09-29-02, 09:25 AM
urgh I had a game today with the biggest lamers on the planet, around the allied airbase they would just run around and shoot each other on the same team. I took off in a plane and some moron from my team started shooting at me. I switch to the axis side and get attacked by the morons doing the same thing:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I feel your pain, Those morons are everywhere, I just find somewhere else to play.
For instance, was playing yesterday, map was MIDWAY, theres a teammate standing on the flightdeck of the Allied carrier, I spawn right next to a plane and hop in, this jerk says its his plane and forces the plane to crash, i bail just before the plane expodes and another plane spawns, hes shooting at me, I still make to the plane first, hop in and he does the same thing causing the plane to crash, now no planes are spawning and hes yelling at me that those planes are his and I should spawn somewhere else,I just reply "Go tell your MOMMY" I wait there till a plane spawns and watch him get in, Now this guy in the meantime is telling everyone how good a pilot he is, only to crash the plane into the tower on the carrier, ROTFL.
So this "ACE" has cost the allied team 3 planes and also the carrier when he decided to become the captain and sailed the carrier right next to the Jap battleship,which was fully manned by the way. Then he says that the allied team are all N00bs and leaves.
Guess where I found this guy? give up? On a EA server, seems thats where most hang out since there is no admin around at all.

I try to a find a public server that has admins playin, they have no problem booting these types at all.

vampireuk
09-29-02, 02:47 PM
rofl, that guy must have had a IQ of 4, piloting the ship next to a battleship:D

When I get my new connection and upgrade this a bit ill set up a server that way we can drag everyone from nv in and not have to put up with lamers:cool:

Is it a good idea to get a joystick thingy for the flying? I can fly reasonable well with the keyboard but then shooting is damn difficult since I have to stop flying for a few seconds

MajBlunder
09-29-02, 09:21 PM
Is it a good idea to get a joystick thingy for the flying? I can fly reasonable well with the keyboard but then shooting is damn difficult since I have to stop flying for a few seconds

Yea man, using a joystick is the way to go, aleast for me anyway.
I use a MS FF2 joystick, while the game doesnt have FF effects it still works just the same. I found it very uncomfortable to fly with the mouse/kybd combo, especially when trying to use rudder and firing at the same time. Also bailing out and hitting the silk was awkward. With the stick I have the trigger assigned to fire the guns, button 2 (big button under my thumb) for bombs, then 3 and 4 assigned to the enter/exit and parachute respectfully.
The throttle is assigned to the slider, which really takes some getting used to, because normally off would be all the way down and full would be all the way forward, but in this game its split, meaning off is halfway between, so if ya are flying the bomber or a 2 seater and waiting for you crew, ya gotta remember to place the throttle slider halfway or youll either fly by yourself, or worse backup into something and explode. ( been there done it :p )
Others though have assigned the throttle to buttons. ie abutton for forward and 1 for reverse.
And lastly I have 2 buttons assigned for views, 3rdperson and nose cam.

But to each is own I guess, I just prefer flyin with a joystick, I use one with all my flightsims so to me it the only choice.

vampireuk
09-30-02, 05:58 AM
Yeah when playing the demo and trying to fly its really difficult to fight another plane and fly at the same time. Also flying the plane is too awkward at times, takes ages to line up a bombing run on the carrier. Joystick it is:D

MajBlunder
09-30-02, 09:16 AM
Another thing i can do with a joystick while flyin is cap outposts, You can hold a nice circling pattern around the flag using rudder and banking, really drives the enemy nuts cause it hard to hit ya if they try and follow you around on the ground :D

styles-T
09-30-02, 12:37 PM
So you guys play with a mouse - keyboard - and joystick?

I find the vehicles really hard to control.

I might just try a joystick.

vampireuk
09-30-02, 04:01 PM
The tanks, half-tracks and such are really easy to control with the keyboard and mouse. The planes take alot of controlling though and it would benefit from a joystick