PDA

View Full Version : Best settings for 5700 Ultra...

Fluii
12-22-03, 08:04 AM
I have got a Creative GeForceFX 5700 Ultra

Wich drivers are the best?

The Creative 52.17 (wich have some nice fiture in screen-settings)
or the newest nVidia 53.03 ?

And what settings is best?

Anti-aliasing (auto?)
Anisotrop filtiring (auto?)
Vsync (off?)

And should i overclock?

thanks...

MUYA
12-22-03, 12:57 PM
VSYNC must always be turned off :D Sometime u get tearing but it hapens so rarely that turning it off is a major + point over being turned on. Else AA and AF settings depends on games. Try manually the levels of aa and af and combos of AA/AF. It's a nice card, it is very nice for recent games with a AA/AF combo apart from HALO which makes anything crawl.

MUYA

saturnotaku
12-22-03, 01:39 PM
It's always advisable to keep vsync off. You can reduce tearing if the game has an option to limit your frame rate (like Quake 3 and Grand Theft Auto).

Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering settings depend on the game you're playing. If you have enough CPU, you can run games like Quake 3 at 1024x768 with 8xS anti-aliasing and 4x anisotropic filtering while maintaining smooth performance. In Unreal Tournament 2003, the 5700 Ultra should be capable of running 1024x768 with 2x AA and 2x aniso.

AA doesn't even work in Halo and AF makes it look ugly. Performance totally blows, though so you might be limited to 800x600 resolution in that case (on a 9800 Pro I'm getting merely acceptable performance at 1024x768). Make sure you turn specular off within the game - makes stuff look better and you'll gain at least a 20-25% performance improvement.

Edge
12-22-03, 03:09 PM
You should be able to play games with at least 2xAA/lvl4 Aniso. If you get Rivatuner, you can also tweak the anisotropic settings to get better performence, and have access to a crapload of new AA modes. But it really depends on the game, keep it at 2x for newer stuff, and use 4xS or 8xS for older games.

As far as overclocking goes, you might as well. It does theoreticly reduce the life of the chip, but it takes a really long time for it to burn out anyway, and when it's already running at 350 another 20% or so won't hurt it much. Just go up in like 10 mhz increments and when you start to get artifacts/crashing, go back 20 mhz and it should be stable.

Fluii
12-22-03, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the answers!

I only got 2200 score in 3DMark2003... can this be true :(

MUYA
12-22-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Fluii
Thanks for the answers!

I only got 2200 score in 3DMark2003... can this be true :(

Thats definately not what i would be expecting. I get 3900 with a 2800+@2.2Ghz.

Fluii
12-22-03, 05:50 PM
Hmm..

Another thing

How can I overclock my CPU ?

Its a Barton 2500+

I have hired that I can change (unlock) the multiplyer because I have a nForce2 chipset, but I can't....

The only way is to rase the fps....

Does anyone know of this... ?

Blacklash
12-22-03, 10:42 PM
Can't comment on the 3dmark,

but I can say my card has a stable OC up to 540/1.02, I tend to run it at 522/995, which works out fine. I run Star Wars Galaxies with everything at high detail, static objects, water, character detail etc. I always play at 1280 and 960 resolution without a hitch.

I keep v sync off and do not have the CPU pre render frames. Things tend to run smoother for me this way. Get a- tuner and use it to make sure 4S AA is on, and use 4XAF. As always though, if the option to set AA and AF exists in the game/application, do it there. If you are a FPS freak you can force PS 1.4 in alot of games. I tend to go ahead and run optimal or PS 2.0.

I am using the evga 53.03's and haven't had a problem with them.

Halo doesnt work with AA and I would not bother putting heavy AF on it, Try it at 2 and 4.

Fluii
12-23-03, 05:32 AM
Tjeck this out..

http://www.fluii.dk/fluii-agp.jpg

Am i'm only running at AGP 2x ? ??

Bubba
12-23-03, 08:28 AM
Make sure that in the 'Troubleshooting' section of your display properties that the hardware acceleration is turned all the way up. Also, run dxdiag and make sure all your direct x features are enabled in the display section.

Fluii
12-23-03, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Bubba
Make sure that in the 'Troubleshooting' section of your display properties that the hardware acceleration is turned all the way up. Also, run dxdiag and make sure all your direct x features are enabled in the display section.
They are okay...

http://www.fluii.dk/fluii-agp2.jpg

theultimo
12-27-03, 08:42 PM
Seems odd that its stuck in 2x mode....did you check rivatuner to disable compatibility patches?

Fluii
12-27-03, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by theultimo
Seems odd that its stuck in 2x mode....did you check rivatuner to disable compatibility patches?

Please explain :rolleyes:

When using RivaTurner, my textures in games turns ugly (crabbed, fussy)

theultimo
12-28-03, 02:47 PM
I basically meant to force 8x once, to try it ;)