PDA

View Full Version : GF4TI dual display - causing image studdering?

Gator
12-22-03, 06:34 PM
I only recently connected a 2nd monitor to my GF4TI4400, and now I seem to be encountering a problem with Unreal Tournament. The image seems to be studdering a little bit. I'll be running, and all of a sudden I'm further ahead than I thought; or maybe an enemy will be on my right, and then suddenly jump to the middle of the screen. I don't recall it doing this before the second monitor was added. No software changes were made when I added the 2nd monitor.

Is there a chance that displaying stuff on the 2nd monitor (usually AOLIM and MIRC) while playing the game is straining the video card? These programs were running in the background before, but I got the second monitor so I could actually look at them while playing my games. Could it be interfering with game play? Would a GF4MX PCI connected to the 2nd monitor resolve this problem, basically not using the dual head feature? I hate the idea of not using the dual head feature considering it came with the card and I should be entitled to use it, but this studdering is getting annoying so if I need to buy a second video card so be it.

Suggestions?

Gator
12-22-03, 07:04 PM
update: I tried disabling the second monitor, and sure enough Unreal works FINE again. So it's definetly the dual display feature that's the problem.

So I tried running Unreal at 800x600 instead of 1024x768, and that seem much better too. Now this is NOT acceptable for me, I have a pretty nice system and I should be able to run at high resolutions.

A friend suggested that the problem may be the frame buffer is too busy on the video card, because even though the 2nd display is only showing a background wallpaper, MIRC, and AOLIM, it's still drawing something and that wastes video memory.

So would a PCI video card fix my problem? Or does someone have a better idea? What if hypothetically I had a 256meg video card instead, would that fix it?

nIghtorius
12-26-03, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Gator
update: I tried disabling the second monitor, and sure enough Unreal works FINE again. So it's definetly the dual display feature that's the problem.

So I tried running Unreal at 800x600 instead of 1024x768, and that seem much better too. Now this is NOT acceptable for me, I have a pretty nice system and I should be able to run at high resolutions.

A friend suggested that the problem may be the frame buffer is too busy on the video card, because even though the 2nd display is only showing a background wallpaper, MIRC, and AOLIM, it's still drawing something and that wastes video memory.

So would a PCI video card fix my problem? Or does someone have a better idea? What if hypothetically I had a 256meg video card instead, would that fix it?

that's weird..

I've had a GF4TI4200 64MB card (which is less than your card) and it could run dual-head easily.. no stuttering whatsoever.. could play Ut2k3 smoothly @ 1024x768x32 with all details set to high.

so there must be something wrong with the setup of your software.

tip:
do not use nvidia's nview.. try ultramon for multi-display management (it also is able to extend your taskbar to the second display which is really cool).

Gator
12-26-03, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by nIghtorius
that's weird..

I've had a GF4TI4200 64MB card (which is less than your card) and it could run dual-head easily.. no stuttering whatsoever.. could play Ut2k3 smoothly @ 1024x768x32 with all details set to high.

so there must be something wrong with the setup of your software.

tip:
do not use nvidia's nview.. try ultramon for multi-display management (it also is able to extend your taskbar to the second display which is really cool).

Whats wrong with nView? The problem with UltraMon is you have to pay for it, and I've been spending a lot of money lately being it's Christmas.

Software problem, like what? This is a relatively fresh install, I redid the whole system in late October. No drivers have been updated since then, using Detonators 45.23 and don't plan to update them. I've read too many issues with the Det5's. Besides UT1 is an old game so I doubt newer det's would benefit it anyway. Using the latest OpenGL renderer from http://www.utpg.org , and I have the D3d one but I don't like the way that performs at all. UT2k3 didn't seem as affected as UT1, but for UT2k3 I use D3D instead.

The GF2MX PCI arrives today, but I won't be able to install it till Sunday night. I'll post again then to give my results. I really hope this fixes my problem, I'm a diehard UT1 fan and I really didn't feel like lowering my resolution :(

In the meantime, can you tell me some of your theories on what else could be causing the studdering? Like I mentioned earlier, if I disable Display2 then its fine at 1024x768; or if I user dual head but lower the res to 800x600 it's fine too.

Gator
12-28-03, 01:40 PM
installed the GF2 MX400 64DDR PCI and the studdering seems a lot less now. I really don't understand why this happen other than an overly busy frame buffer. Only UT1 seems affected too, and since that's the only Opengl game I'm running, I suspect this is something to do with my OpenGL or the UT1 opengl renderer v4.51. But it is better, so I guess I'll keep the GF2 PCI for now until I think of a better way to fix this. At least this takes some stress off my GF4, now it only has to handle one monitor again instead of 2 at once.

I'll post again if I discover anything else.

Gator
12-28-03, 08:46 PM
well the story only gets weirder... So UT1 seem a little better and I assumed it was an opengl issue or UT opengl issue with dual display... um... no. I tried UT2k3 online and OMFG can you say STUDDER! It was terrible! So I reorganized my PCI cards and discovered something, PCI slot 1 & 2 BOTHseem to share an IRQ with AGP. Very stupid indeed. So I moved the GF2 down to PCI 6 and now NOTHING shares an IRQ. Everything works SMOOTH now. Very strange, I didn't think in this day and age of ACPI that IRQ's still matter'd, but in this case they did.

So note to Asus A7N8X owners, you might not wanna use PCI 1 or 2.

I'm keeping the GF2 installed because UT1 seems happier this way. :rolleyes:

SnakeEyes
12-30-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Gator
well the story only gets weirder... So UT1 seem a little better and I assumed it was an opengl issue or UT opengl issue with dual display... um... no. I tried UT2k3 online and OMFG can you say STUDDER! It was terrible! So I reorganized my PCI cards and discovered something, PCI slot 1 & 2 BOTHseem to share an IRQ with AGP. Very stupid indeed. So I moved the GF2 down to PCI 6 and now NOTHING shares an IRQ. Everything works SMOOTH now. Very strange, I didn't think in this day and age of ACPI that IRQ's still matter'd, but in this case they did.

So note to Asus A7N8X owners, you might not wanna use PCI 1 or 2.

I'm keeping the GF2 installed because UT1 seems happier this way. :rolleyes:
As an A7N8X Deluxe owner, I think I need to check which slots I'm using, now that you've discovered this causing stutter in your games..

As someone that was trying to help with your problem, I'm glad to hear you finally discovered the real fix for it. What lead you to check the PCI slots?

Gator
12-30-03, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
...What lead you to check the PCI slots?

got desperate, figured it couldn't hurt, and even in this day and age of ACPI it just doesn't sit right with me when devices share IRQ's. Turned out I was right ;)

zivilian
12-31-03, 03:46 PM
in my experiances with more than one monitor i just turn them off when i play games

Gator
01-01-04, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by zivilian
in my experiances with more than one monitor i just turn them off when i play games

ya but that would defeat one of the purposes of my dual display, I like being able to glance at IRC and AOLIM while I play games

zivilian
01-01-04, 01:33 PM
hehe yea i meant if like i get errors or studdering when i play i jsut turn teh montor off i usualy keep 2 extra monitors on to look at things while i play

Gator
01-05-04, 09:36 AM
another update: I've removed the GF2 PCI. The card was begining to get on my nerves because sometimes it would spontaneously switch the primary display, and the GF2 simply didn't have the same capabilities as my GF4TI including DVD playback. I mean I'm sure the GF2MX can play DVD's, but this PCI version wasn't cooperating. In the end, it seem like more trouble than I wanted.

So I've done what I said I wouldn't, and installed Det 53.03. Surprisingly they seem to have helped a little, either because they're newer or the Nview 3.0. As before, UT2k3 and Halo seem fine, with only UT1 is getting some studdering. I'm certain this is either because UT1 is poorly coded, or because it's an Opengl issue. UT1 is currently my ONLY Opengl game. I think I'm just gonna throw in the towel and play UT1 at 800x600. Not sure what I'm gonna do with this GF2 PCI yet, might try to return it or sell it on ebay. Thing is I got a good video card with dual head, and it's stupid to sacrifice that feature because one game isn't quite cooperating.

-----------------------------

update 1/6/04 - So I yet again put back the GF2 PCI because UT1 wont cooperate even at lower res. But now everythign seems much better, I'm using yet ANOTHER different PCI slot, one that I am certain is not sharing IRQ's or sharing resoureces according to the Asus motherboard manual. Additionally I'm using driver 53.03 which seems better for my needs, and I've switched form opengl to direct3d in UT. Hopefully all will be ok this time around!