PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Burner Placement?

fasedww
12-23-03, 07:09 AM
I'm getting a Plextor Dvd Burner 708A, I have my dvd rom on the Secondary Ide as master, and My 80 gig Storage on the Ide primary as master. Which do I slave it up two or not? Maybe Master it on one of the Ide channels? I don't know whats best newbie at this burner thing:D

sbp
12-23-03, 08:20 AM
People have different ways of setting up their devices. Some will set up the dvd's on the secondary channel. {Note: one of the dvd devices may prefer being the master}. Other people will make one of the dvd devices a slave on the primary channel.

I'd put the burner on the opposite channel from the device you mainly burn from. i.e. put the dvd burner on the secondary channel if you are burning from the hard drive.

For me it comes down to what channel I would want to put the DVD-ROM as a slave on.
Primary master: Hard drive
Primary slave:

Secondary master: DVD burner
Secondary slave:

saturnotaku
12-23-03, 08:51 AM
Some DVD-ROM drives can be picky about where they're located. It's not much of an issue with modern hardware but you have to be prepared for the possibility of problems. I would slave the DVD-ROM and make the burner the master on the secondary channel. You should always keep optical drives and hard drives on separate channels. I have my two hard drives on my primary channel, then my Pioneer DVD-RW is the secondary master with my Lite-On CD-RW as the secondary slave. This setup has worked perfectly for as long as I've had it.

fasedww
12-23-03, 06:56 PM
I'll put the plextor as master and the dvd rom as slave on the secondary ide channel. If I burn to hardrive should I burn to my c drive which is the OS on the sata raid channel or burn to my storage drive which is the non os it's a wd 80 gig 8meg cache. which is beteter or won't it make a difference