PDA

View Full Version : Doesn Nforce2 support DDR400 officially?

SocketAzzWipe
09-27-02, 12:55 AM
I have been told that its still a speculation...
I guess a picture speaks a thousand words...

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20020719/image/ncr1.html

WHat does it mean by what does the 'D' stand for after 'Crush 18'?

thcdru2k
09-27-02, 12:58 AM
yup, ddr400 is definately official. check out the nvidia site.

Highest memory bandwidth: DualDDR combines the power of DDR400 with two independent memory controllers, which yields a staggering 6.4GB per second of memory bandwidth—twice the memory bandwidth of other DDR400 chipsets. Increased memory bandwidth delivers better system and graphics performance, resulting in more overall productivity.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_dualddr

DXnfiniteFX
09-27-02, 01:18 AM
Yes, completely, legitimately, and fully supported. Dual-channel DDR400, the slaughter of RDRAM.

Now if ONLY Intel would drop or at least lower their stupid royalties so that Nvidia could bring this over to the P4 platform. Cheapter memory, better performance, stable chipset. Doesn't get better than that!

SocketAzzWipe
09-27-02, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by DXnfiniteFX
Yes, completely, legitimately, and fully supported. Dual-channel DDR400, the slaughter of RDRAM.

Now if ONLY Intel would drop or at least lower their stupid royalties so that Nvidia could bring this over to the P4 platform. Cheapter memory, better performance, stable chipset. Doesn't get better than that!

Thats what I was thinking...DDR400 already makes the fastest RDram work hard to beat it by a relatively small margin...but with DUAL DDR system, RDram is gonna get killed...
I likes I likes...

One thing which isn't clear though...that is...if the nForce2 based motherboards support 1/6th PCI dividers...I know the KT400 can't do it...

thcdru2k
09-27-02, 01:53 AM
is pci divider a manufacturer decision? like some boards will have better pci division, and other boards won't? not a chipset limitation?

either way, i don't think that is known yet.

SocketAzzWipe
09-27-02, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
is pci divider a manufacturer decision? like some boards will have better pci division, and other boards won't? not a chipset limitation?

either way, i don't think that is known yet.

I believe that it is mainly chipset limitation...as this is the case in the KT400 ...
I know that the ABIT KT400 motherboards had 1/6th divider originally...but the bios update removed it...because people were getting no post after they selected it...

"KT400 chipset(no matter what revision is used) can not work with 1/6 PCI divider is confirmed recently by VIA

it's the architecture problem of the chipset itself

KT266/266A : 1/3 and 1/4 only
KT333/KT333CE : 1/3 , 1/4 and 1/5 only
KT400 : the same as KT333"

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=158656

LORD-eX-Bu
09-27-02, 02:55 AM
I have DDR 400 Memory, but I am running on a P4 based system, my motherboard(MSI 648 MAX) doesn't officially support DDR400, but I went ahead and bought it anyways, runs at CAS 2 no problem.:D

zoolap
09-27-02, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe
...1/6th PCI dividers...

Sorry to ask stupid (?) question, but what does this "1/6th PCI dividers" mean?

thcdru2k
09-27-02, 09:29 AM
the pci divider controls the pci bus speed. for example standard pci bus speed is 33mhz. when running a 133mhz cpu, this is a 1/4th pci divider, because the pci is running at 1/4th the cpu fsb. when overclocking to say, 160mhz, the 1/4th pci divider makes the pci bus run at 40mhz. at 40mhz, some devices have a chance of not running properly, so having a 1/6th pci divider would allow the pci to run at 26-27mhz. so there would definately be no problems for any pci devices. a 1/6th pci divider would all for higher overclocking and still remaining compatibility with pci devices.