PDA

View Full Version : Price Of Persia: The Sands of Time

Pages : [1] 2

GlowStick
12-26-03, 12:35 AM
I just got this game for X-mas and i like the gameplay. Anyone else have it?

Its really fun, i feel the developers took time in makeing the maps and putting presets for cameras and the path the player has to take. Not just make some animations and then make maps that dont match up at all. They seem to have alot of customs animations. However, when i first installed the game, it woudlnt start, kept asking for the 'cd' witch i had in the drive. I rembmberd ubisoft did some BS with ghost recon that stoped it from playing if any virtual drives were in use. So i uninstall alchohol and then it magicly started working..... i suspect it has the same bs in it.

The Good:
Fun game mechanics
Great story
Nice Cutsceens
Good concept and execution of a 3d platformer
Nice animations
Lots of voice acting

The Bad:
Buggy
Slow Graphics
Lots of visual glitches involving fog/water
Suspected 'Virutal Drive Bull****'

rth
12-26-03, 05:07 AM
I got this game a few days ago. It came with a dual analogue controller with POP logo on it which is great since it's a very much a console game in terms of gameplay.

I'm 52% into it so it's quite a short game, but I hate it when games are overly long for the sake of it.

I haven't noticed any of your "bad" points, maybe more info or screenshots?

The time reverse is really cool. The Matrix game should have been based on this engine, it's quite similar to the ETM levels fighing the vampires, but the fighting system is much much better.

The most annoying thing is when you press the time button a little too long for slow motion and it stupidly assumes you want to waste an entire sand tank to go back a split second in time.

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 09:41 AM
I'm with the "it's annoying when you don't hold the rewind button quite long enough" bit, but otherwise the game is quite impressive.

I STILL haven't gotten it to work under XP though, I have to boot into 98se to run it.

Nephilim
12-26-03, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

I STILL haven't gotten it to work under XP though, I have to boot into 98se to run it.

Really? What happens when you try to run it in XP? I've played through the entire game under XP.

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Really? What happens when you try to run it in XP? I've played through the entire game under XP.
I get that stupid, "An error has occured" dialogue box and it asks me if I want to send a report to M$ or not. (I HATE that dialogue box worse than anything else about XP...it's just soooo descriptive of the problem and helpful. :rolleyes: )

I'm an XP newby, so any help is appreciated. I've had a number of games that happens with, and they all work for me in 98se. (And I got about a half-dozen games that won't run under 98se but work peachy under XP, go figure. :rolleyes: )

GlowStick
12-26-03, 11:07 AM
Yours game with an controler? Im jelious, when my sister went to buy it she said best buy was sold out accross indiana, and only one copy was left at cirucit city hm.

mrsabidji
12-26-03, 11:15 AM
I get that stupid, "An error has occured" dialogue box and it asks me if I want to send a report to M$ or not. (I HATE that dialogue box worse than anything else about XP...it's just soooo descriptive of the problem and helpful. :rolleyes: )

I'm an XP newby, so any help is appreciated. I've had a number of games that happens with, and they all work for me in 98se. (And I got about a half-dozen games that won't run under 98se but work peachy under XP, go figure. :rolleyes: )

Are you using a refresh-rate overrider ?
Besides, you can disable that stupid dialogue box, amongst other annoying stuffs, with XPantispy.

mrsabidji

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Yours game with an controler? Im jelious, when my sister went to buy it she said best buy was sold out accross indiana, and only one copy was left at cirucit city hm.
CC in Hammond? Where? I know the one in Highland rather intimately, but where is the one in Hammond?

Originally posted by mrsabidji
Are you using a refresh-rate overrider ?
Uhm, of course! Should I not be?

Besides, you can disable that stupid dialogue box, amongst other annoying stuffs, with XPantispy.
I'll go google it now. Did I mention I'm a newby with XP? I really am. Any other tweaker advice?

mrsabidji
12-26-03, 11:43 AM
Uhm, of course! Should I not be?

Some games don't really like it (someone said halo ?). You should try to run the game with the stupid default 60Hz and see if it runs.

I'll go google it now. Did I mention I'm a newby with XP? I really am. Any other tweaker advice?

I'm using X-Setup 6.3 (6.4 should be out soon) to tweak a lot of thingies (system paths, HDD cache, startup programs, system cache file, etc...). It's really easy to use and rather powerful.

mrsabidji

edit : Oh, and pretty please with sugar and a cherry on the top, do disable that awful 'XP style' user interface with colored menus and toy looking windows. I hate them sooo much ;).

The Baron
12-26-03, 11:50 AM
I tweak everything by hand... although the 'rents did give me a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro for Christmas. I know, you're thinking, "Baron using Norton Utilities?! ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE!? HERESY!" But, see... it comes with Ghost. Nough said. ;)

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 11:55 AM
Some games don't really like it (someone said halo ?). You should try to run the game with the stupid default 60Hz and see if it runs.

I'm using X-Setup 6.3 (6.4 should be out soon) to tweak a lot of thingies (system paths, HDD cache, startup programs, system cache file, etc...). It's really easy to use and rather powerful.

Just downloaded it, I'm off to run & tweak

Oh, and pretty please with sugar and a cherry on the top, do disable that awful 'XP style' user interface with colored menus and toy looking windows. I hate them sooo much ;).
Me too normally, but I was trying to get a typical users XP install for reviewing the 9600 so I left 'em on for a change. I'm almost used to it.

Baron-I can't tweak XP by hand very well yet, so I'm playing with tweakers. :(

mrsabidji
12-26-03, 12:05 PM
I just noticed the thread title... 'Price of Persia' :D.
Ok, don't mind me...

mrsabidji

GlowStick
12-26-03, 12:21 PM
I just noticed the thread title... 'Price of Persia' :D.
Ok, don't mind me...

mrsabidji meh

(whips out the dagger of time and turns it back)

Malfunction
12-26-03, 01:18 PM

Or... you can just type: services.msc in the Run... box and disable the Error Reporting Service by right clicking it and going into properties. ;)

I use to love Prince of Persia on the old Mac's..lol. Suppose my kids would get just as much of a kick as I use to with it now. Suppose I will be checking it out soon myself.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=251309

Peace,

:afro:

Corak
12-26-03, 03:44 PM
Yep I also thought POP was awesome. I played it in XP without any of the flaws you described on a Geforce3.

So it has not rendered any visual glitches, nor was it slow. Gameplay and graphics were simply awesome. I especially enjoyed the jumping puzzles like the one at the prison. The fights could get a little tedious I have to admit. The story was also very enjoyable and fun especially all the interaction with Farah. Voice acting was surprisingly good and convincing.

I need to look into getting an Adaptoid like-quality adapter for the PS2-dualshock for future games like this. Too bad the N64 controller only has one analog control which made it unusuable for POP.

Time to get back to XIII or maybe load up KOTOR for the first time? Hmmm.. :D

GlowStick
12-26-03, 03:47 PM
yeah, the fight sceens are really getting me, aparently i suck : (

i would like to have a contoler for it? can anyone confrim or deny that there is one made for the game?

rth
12-26-03, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
yeah, the fight sceens are really getting me, aparently i suck : (

i would like to have a contoler for it? can anyone confrim or deny that there is one made for the game?

the controller I got with it was a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 3

Edge
12-26-03, 06:00 PM
I only played the demo of it, but personally I thought it was very fun. The controls were pretty good and the puzzles were more interesting then most games of it's type. Though I did play it on an Xbox controller, so it was probably easier then with the KB/Mouse. I'll probably pick it up when it's cheap or get it from a friend, I have an Xbox controller adaptor (home-made ;)) and an Xbox, so either version will be fine for me. Though it seems PC game requirements are getting quite a bit higher because of console games, like DX:IW it requires a Geforce 3 or better (and lists that it doesn't support GF4MX cards).

Rob_0126
12-26-03, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Corak
....Time to get back to XIII or maybe load up KOTOR for the first time? Hmmm.. :D

KOTOR is very nice. :)

Stay in the Light ;)

Robert

emotionstation
12-26-03, 09:55 PM
I bought the Radioshack PSX to USB adapter ($9.99 , search for "PSX" on their website) and play the PC version with my PS controller. Works perfectly.

The Baron
12-26-03, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
KOTOR is very nice. :)

Stay in the Light ;)

Robert
KOTOR is much more fun when you're evil. :)

(One tip, though. Make sure the Jedi class you get complements your starting class. A Scoundrel/Jedi Guardian *really* sucks. Not enough tech skills to be that great compared to other party members, not enough HP to tank well, not enough Force pool to use obscene amounts of Force powers. Oh well. Such is life. I'm starting over anyway to be evil. :) )

Rob_0126
12-27-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
KOTOR is much more fun when you're evil. :)

(One tip, though. Make sure the Jedi class you get complements your starting class. A Scoundrel/Jedi Guardian *really* sucks. Not enough tech skills to be that great compared to other party members, not enough HP to tank well, not enough Force pool to use obscene amounts of Force powers. Oh well. Such is life. I'm starting over anyway to be evil. :) )

Well, just to see the evil ending, I loaded up a very recent save, and dialoged into evil.

It was ok I suppose, for an evil ending.

What I did like about this game, was the huge plot twist. :cool:

I would have never guessed it. :D
(I wont reveal this key spoiler)

Robert

Edge
12-27-03, 01:24 PM
Ahh yes, the "huge plot twist" that everyone is talking about. I need to beat the game pretty soon so that noone spoils it for me. I think I'll wait until I replace my Xbox though, my old one is giving me trouble and I wouldn't be able to move the save over to my new one because it's too big. I'd play the PC version, but...a 3 gig install?!? Yikes, as if I didn't have enough games taking up space on my computer! Also, I do kinda like using the controller better for this game...*holds up flame shield*.

The Baron
12-27-03, 02:01 PM
Hey, I haven't played that far into it yet :)

Rob_0126
12-27-03, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Hey, I haven't played that far into it yet :)

Baron, you might want to finish the game, cause, close to the end, you find out. I personally think this games story, and plot could have been made into another Star Wars Movie, and would have been better than the clone wars :rolleyes: (minus the scene with yoda hopping around)

And is it me, or is Carth on some kind of drug? He talk like he's on speed.

Robert