PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's got false overheating probs with 5950 & 53.03s?

Pages : [1] 2

Kombatant
12-26-03, 04:34 PM
Here's the (strange) deal. I have an Albatron 5950U, with the official 53.03 drivers. For some strange reason, although the card threshold for overheating is something like 140 degrees (from what the CP tells me), when it reaches 85-90 degrees i get the popup box that warns me that the card will operate in safe mode clocks to prevent overheating and then the clocks cannot go up again (even though i manually tried to do so by adding Coolbits) unless I reboot.

Does anyone have a clue why this happens and if this is just because of the drivers?

TIA

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 05:45 PM
Be careful, aren't the 5950's the ones that can infect your PC with a virus? ;)

The Baron
12-26-03, 05:50 PM
Dig, learn when to shut up. ;)

Maybe the 140C threshold is the maximum operating threshold period, e.g., the maximum for 2D. Does the popup occur while you're in 3D mode or 2D? You could also use RivaTuner's real-time clock detection feature to determine what's going on exactly with the clock speed.

And why the hell is it reaching 85-90C in the first place?!

Kombatant
12-26-03, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by The Baron

Maybe the 140C threshold is the maximum operating threshold period, e.g., the maximum for 2D. Does the popup occur while you're in 3D mode or 2D? You could also use RivaTuner's real-time clock detection feature to determine what's going on exactly with the clock speed.

And why the hell is it reaching 85-90C in the first place?!

It reaches these temps in 3D, that's when I get the popup, usually after 5-6 mins of gameplay. I'll try Rivatuner as well, thx for the heads up. It just seems strange that i need to reboot in order to get the clocks up again... i'll try different drivers as well, it's just that i need to have official drivers for the review i am preparing for rage3d.

Btw, Dig was referring to this (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33732810) :p

digitalwanderer
12-26-03, 06:06 PM
Sorry Baron. I really didn't mean it as an insult, it was an inside joke from the R3D thread Kombatant pointed out in the above thread. :)

Dazz
12-26-03, 07:04 PM
What about your case airflow?

Kombatant
12-26-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
What about your case airflow?

It's open :D The Asus 9800XT barely exceeds 60-61 degrees, hence i am curious why this happens. What are the normal temps i should be having?

saturnotaku
12-26-03, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Kombatant
What are the normal temps i should be having?

I had a 5700 Ultra that would go about 33-35 idle and 52 under absolute load (talking multiple benchmarking runs of 3DMark03).

The Baron
12-26-03, 07:33 PM
K, I think there's a problem with the cooler on the 5950U you have. Mike, you want to chime in with your temps?

Malichite
12-26-03, 08:19 PM
I didn't notice anyone respond with temp numbers, but I only have a Gigabyte 5900 OCed to 5950 levels. My numbers seem on par with the few temps I seen in 5950 review.

Idle: 48C
Full 3D Load: Mid 60s w/occasional peak to 70C

-Mali

The Baron
12-26-03, 08:29 PM
Yup, K, you're either running a meth lab right next to your computer, or something is wrong with the cooler. Talk to the AIB manufacturer.

Kombatant
12-26-03, 09:00 PM
Yup, K, you're either running a meth lab right next to your computer, or something is wrong with the cooler. Talk to the AIB manufacturer.

I will.. Thx for the help guys :)

ATI_Dude
12-27-03, 01:01 PM
I agree with Baron. The cooling system must have a malfunction. I've never seen my Leadtek A380 Ultra go above 55 degrees celsius in 3D mode.

The Baron
12-27-03, 01:04 PM
Screw it, I think he's running a meth lab and giving freebies out to the fanATIcs. It would explain some people at R3D. ;)

ATI_Dude
12-27-03, 04:16 PM
Screw it, I think he's running a meth lab and giving freebies out to the fanATIcs. It would explain some people at R3D. ;)
Yeah. Perhaps it's just distraction to make them forget all about the Catalyst 3.8 monitor issues :p

Morrow
12-28-03, 11:49 AM
Kombatant: I can not really help you with your overheating issue (most probably a cooling issue with the fan as most people here are believing) but according to your description of the virus infection chances are very big that you got one of those defacing tools which made headaches to valve a few months ago...

This is in fact not a normal virus and even Norton cannot disable it even if the anti-virus software is working correctly. This is a tool package installed on your computer on a virtual partition which is used as a backdoor to gain data from your PC...

To be sure that you didn't get one of the killer things on your PC, just check with Partition Magic if your HDDs don't include now an extra partition which you were not aware of before...

digitalwanderer
12-28-03, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
Kombatant: I can not really help you with your overheating issue (most probably a cooling issue with the fan as most people here are believing) but according to your description of the virus infection chances are very big that you got one of those defacing tools which made headaches to valve a few months ago...

This is in fact not a normal virus and even Norton cannot disable it even if the anti-virus software is working correctly. This is a tool package installed on your computer on a virtual partition which is used as a backdoor to gain data from your PC...

To be sure that you didn't get one of the killer things on your PC, just check with Partition Magic if your HDDs don't include now an extra partition which you were not aware of before...
OMFG, does that sound like a nasty little virus! :eek:

The Baron
12-28-03, 02:09 PM
rootkits make virtual partitions now? that's pretty cool... heh.

ToxicTaZ
12-29-03, 03:04 AM
Sup

My MSI FX5900 Ultra is o/c to 500MHz/950MHz @50C - 55C in 3D on a full load, You should never run your FX5900 over 60C!:eek: (No chip should run more then 60C)

TaZ :angel:

Kombatant
12-29-03, 03:20 AM

And I was wondering why you tend to show up there, especially in the OT lounge... :angel: Btw I'll post a temp screenie when I get home, you guys must see this :p It's just irritating that the nvidia drivers do not let me define the failsafe temperature I want and practically do what they want with my system.

As for the virus thing, i believe it's gone (reinstalled windows et all). What it was doing is that it created a .{some crazy GUID} under the windows directory and kept downloading files. It turned off system files viewing all the time in order to make that directory hidden and it crashed both mcafee and nav. After recommendation, I have installed NOD32 now as a AV solution, we'll see how that goes.

Malichite
12-29-03, 05:03 AM
Hey Taz are you using a temp logging util like the one available w/Rivatuner and the newer 53.03 detonators (really any version since flicker fix)? I haven't seen many in the forums or reviewers that have been able to obtain a full 3D load temp of mid 50's. Like I mentioned before, I get 39C Idle (44.67) or 48C Idle (53.03), but in 3D both seem to like to sit in the mid 60's with occasional spikes to 70's (several reviewers mentioned these temps too). After extended play I have noticed the the spikes into the 70's gets more frequent (Scores taken after playing Morrowind at 1024x768 2xAA 4xAniso for several hours). That is using a Gigabyte 5900 nu at stock and oc settings. OCed to 500/950 I increase the max temps about 2-3C over the Stock 400/850. You must be playing in a cold room to stay in the 50's. ;)

Kombatant: I am a tried and true nVidia user, but I have to admit that the recent nVidia det's (forced higher idle temp w/flicker fix, slower DX8 perf w/53.03, and KOTOR light saber/ NFS:UG blinking buildings) are making me consider joining the dark side w/ATI. Heck, if I am going to have driver issues anyways I might as well enjoy better AA and DX9. LOL. Hope you get that temp issue figured out.

-Mali

Kombatant
12-29-03, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Malichite
Kombatant: I am a tried and true nVidia user, but I have to admit that the recent nVidia det's (forced higher idle temp w/flicker fix, slower DX8 perf w/53.03, and KOTOR light saber/ NFS:UG blinking buildings) are making me consider joining the dark side w/ATI. Heck, if I am going to have driver issues anyways I might as well enjoy better AA and DX9. LOL. Hope you get that temp issue figured out.

-Mali

Well I was an nvidia user too in the past so I know where you're coming from. It's just that I feel that the whole nv3x line is a fiasco and it is really too bad for nvidia. I sometimes feel that the company is living in its own world and does not care what the community and its users think and want. Of course that's my personal opinion, I am not trying to force it onto you guys :)

As for Need for Speed, I don't think the buildings are blinking. It's much more intelligent than that. If you notice, the buildings are dark and lower detailed when you are far away, but when you drive close to them, they light up like xmas :D

Malichite
12-29-03, 07:23 AM
Yup, I meant they *Blink* on all at once and the entire building is lit (regardless if it is a one story building or high rise). Plus I feel the lighting effect is far too bright, try driving down the ramp in the middle of the road one of the maps and the walls light up far too brightly for my tastes.

-Mali

ToxicTaZ
12-30-03, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Malichite
Hey Taz are you using a temp logging util like the one available w/Rivatuner and the newer 53.03 detonators (really any version since flicker fix)? I haven't seen many in the forums or reviewers that have been able to obtain a full 3D load temp of mid 50's. Like I mentioned before, I get 39C Idle (44.67) or 48C Idle (53.03), but in 3D both seem to like to sit in the mid 60's with occasional spikes to 70's (several reviewers mentioned these temps too). After extended play I have noticed the the spikes into the 70's gets more frequent (Scores taken after playing Morrowind at 1024x768 2xAA 4xAniso for several hours). That is using a Gigabyte 5900 nu at stock and oc settings. OCed to 500/950 I increase the max temps about 2-3C over the Stock 400/850. You must be playing in a cold room to stay in the 50's. ;)

Hay Sup Malichite

Yes I use Nvidia ForceWare 53.03 WHQL Certified Drivers and Coolbits (http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/tip02.html) to o/c my MSI FX5900 Ultra!

My card has TwinFlow Cooling System
Core slowdown threshold Degrees: 140C (HOW DO YOU SET THIS?)
GPU core temperature: 41C
Ambient temperature: 30C
Temperature level _ 41C - 55C On 3D Max load (7Hrs of Unreal 2 XMP) Maxed out set up and 1280x960/ 85Hz, 32-bit, 4x AA & 8x Anisotropic filtering.......o/c FX5900U 500MHz/950MHz :D

At stock speed FX5900U 450MHz/850MHz
Temperature level _ 41C - 46C On 3D Max load ^ (7Hrs of Unreal 2 XMP) ^
I live in Edmonton, Ab, Canada, And the temperature out side right now is -18C My room temperature right now is 21C

Temperature: FX5900U 450/850 vs FX5900U 500/950
Max: 46C vs 55C

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=180
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=477
TaZ :angel:

Malichite
12-31-03, 06:28 AM
My fault as I didn't look at your specs more closely. I followed those links you threw up and noticed that MSI holds their "TwinFlow" performs ~8C-10C cooler than the original 5950 cooler (Which would put a 'normal' 5950 up in the mid 60's). I also forgot that the 5950 blows air from outside the case -> inside unlike the 5900/Ultras. Thus my additional heating after long play is due to increased ambient case temp, while the 5950 should remain more constant.

No clue about the cooling used on Kombant's card, but it seems like Albatron it usually very close to reference design.

-Mali