PDA

View Full Version : P4 3.0 clocked at 2.0

Pages : [1] 2

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 11:21 AM
Ok I got a new Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT and a Gigabyte Sinxp1394 motherboard. I installed it yesterday, during boot up it said that my CPU speed was 2.0 GHz, I went and updated the bios and loaded the Optimized Defaults and its sill locked at 2.0 GHz?

After that I download Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility and ran it. It said reported frequency was at Processor 2.01 GHz System Bus was 536MHz. The Expected frequency said 3.0 GHz and System Bus was 800MHz.

Dose anyone know how to fix this or what is causing it?

Dazz
12-27-03, 11:28 AM
You MUST increase your FSB in the BIOS, up it from 133MHz (533) to 200MHz (800)

It starts up as 133Mhz for safe mode.

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 11:42 AM
ok I did it but all I get is a long reset and it resets itself back to 2.0GHz

Dazz
12-27-03, 11:48 AM
What memory are you using?

Also have you set your memory to 1:1 devider?

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 12:17 PM
I am using PNY DDR333 512MB PC2700

For the cpu clock speed I have a chose between 100-355
And for the Dram I get Numbers like 333 which is my ram speed

I set my cpu clock at 200 and my Dram at 333 then I saved it and It restarted.

This time it gives me a screen which say

Bios Ron Checksum error

Bisk boot failure
Insert system disk and press enter

The Baron
12-27-03, 12:18 PM
PC2700 is your first problem. You need PC3200 RAM to run at a 800Mhz FSB with a 1:1 divider.

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 12:19 PM
Thank you

Im going to go return mine and get pc3200 like right now to see if it works.

Dazz
12-27-03, 01:16 PM
I've just been looking into your motherboard and it seems it doesn't support a 800MHz FSB!!

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-SINXP1394(GA-8SQ800%20Ultra2).htm

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 01:28 PM
So what dose that mean? It will not work at 3.0 GHz with HT.

If so what is a good board for me that is under $130

Dazz
12-27-03, 01:59 PM
Well you can get any board that supports the Intel i865PE or SIS 655FX etc look for one that best meets what you need. I am a somewhat ASUS person and would recommend their boards. But thats up to you. Look on www.pricewatch.com

The Baron
12-27-03, 02:02 PM
What is it... the Asus P4P800 Deluxe? the i865 uberboard?

Dazz
12-27-03, 02:33 PM
He has an Gigabyte SINXP1394 which is a SIS655, the 655FX supports 800MHz FSB but the 655 supports 400/533 only.

Yeah the Asus P4P800 is a good board thats well priced :)

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 02:44 PM
ok my question is before I return my newegg MB and pick one up at frys is,

1. if I keep the board and get the PC3200 RAM will it run at 3.0 GHz?

2. or do I get a new motherboard with 800 fsb and keep the PC2700 RAM will it run at 3.0 GHz?

3. And or I get a new motherboard with 800 fsb and new ram at 3200?

I am just sorry I am totally confused about this. :confused:

Dazz
12-27-03, 03:18 PM
Well thing is most boards use dual channel memory so.

1# No your current board won't run the Pentium 4 @ 800MHz FSB

2# It will work with PC2700 but will peform slower.

3# For the new boards dual channel memory can give upto 50% extra peformance, you will need 2 DIMM's the same eg. 2x 256MB PC3200 from the same manufature.

Best bet get a newboard with the Intel i865PE ,ake sure it's the PE version too. Then later on get 2x sticks of PC3200 ram :)

Viral
12-27-03, 08:49 PM
If you arn't 100% sure on whether the stuff you are buying is compatible, ask on a forum like this place first!

Just hope they let you return the mobo and RAM, if you can't then you've just crippled your P4 3.0ghz:( The best you can hope for is to run it as a 3.06ghz P4 with 533mhz FSB, and that's if your board supports DC DDR.

Mr.Clawz950
12-27-03, 10:07 PM
If you can afford it, I would recommend the P4P800 (or Deluxe) which is what I have. Works great for me.

XP_GUN
12-27-03, 11:31 PM
YES AHHA I got it to work. I replaced both the motherboard and ram. I got a Shuttle AB60N with the Intel 865PE and 1 stick of PNY 512 3200 ram. I followed what you said Dazz and it worked "thank you" :p Now the hard part to get the pc all up and running. I still havent installed my Nvidia drivers and updated windows :D

Thank you all

Viral
12-28-03, 12:01 AM
1 stick? lol....

if you plan on running with only one stick of memory, a P4 probably isn't the best choice for you.

2 sticks in DC is the only way to get the best performance out of a P4'C', it really isn't worth buying a P4 if you arn't going to take advantage of it's 800mhz FSB.

Remember both sticks need to be identical... good luck

XP_GUN
12-28-03, 12:36 AM
Yeah I know once I get some money I plan on geting another stick.

Malfunction
12-28-03, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by XP_GUN
Yeah I know once I get some money I plan on geting another stick.

Ummm... no. The DDR must be matched from the get go or else you are guaranteed problems later. Advice: return that single stick of 512MB and get yourself some *matched DDR400 in a (2x256) stick configuration. It doesn't seem like you are completely following what needs to be done to ensure your happiness. :(

This is a list of qualified DDR400 from Intel: http://www.intel.com/technology/memory/ddr/valid/dram_results.htm

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail # N82E16820145431 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-431&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1&section=3) seems to be fine. It is important (if not vital) that your memory be in a twin pack matched form. Ask someone at Fry's what twin pack or DDR400 are customers buying to run on that Shuttle mobo you have.

If you buy 1 stick now and another later thinking it's gonna work out, your gonna be out of luck when you discover that isn't the case... seriously.

Peace,

:afro:

Dazz
12-28-03, 04:59 AM
He should be alright so long as the next time he gets another stick it is of the same make and branded memory i.e same memory chips.

Corsair is the best memory going however some poeple don't want to shell out so much money on memory :o

Malfunction
12-28-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
He should be alright so long as the next time he gets another stick it is of the same make and branded memory i.e same memory chips.

Corsair is the best memory going however some poeple don't want to shell out so much money on memory :o

If he eventually wants 1GB of it then all that needs to be done is to get 2x256 Modules on that list that will be able to occupy all four dimm sockets. My bud was doing the same, he bought 512MB (2x256) now and will get the other 2x256 later on. The memory that he selected was capable of occupying all four dimm sockets.

This Dell memory that I have now comes in 256MB sticks as well. Both the 256MB and 512MB (One's I own) are approved by Intel to occupy all four dimm sockets for a total of (4x256MB) 1GB or (4x512MB) 2GB configs.

This way, he can atleast utilize Dual Channel operation now and not cripple the performance in single channel op.

Peace,

XP_GUN
12-28-03, 11:27 AM
Im going to have to what on this one maby after I pay my dad back for it then I can see what I can do. I have alot of old cards im going to sell on ebay "Voodoo 4500" TNT" 2 CTR Monitors, HP Digital camra, 4 Scaners and so on.

What do you mean by mach RAM sticks Malfunction. They need to be spit out of the factory at the same time? Or be in the same shipment? O be the same brand which I was going to do after I get the $.

"""Corsair is the best memory going however some poeple don't want to shell out so much money on memory """"

Man I just spent $150 on PNY which sucked because I was going to get Kingson or Corsair but the comp usa wouldent let me take my money back

Malfunction
12-28-03, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by XP_GUN
Im going to have to what on this one maby after I pay my dad back for it then I can see what I can do. I have alot of old cards im going to sell on ebay "Voodoo 4500" TNT" 2 CTR Monitors, HP Digital camra, 4 Scaners and so on.

What do you mean by mach RAM sticks Malfunction. They need to be spit out of the factory at the same time? Or be in the same shipment? O be the same brand which I was going to do after I get the $.

"""Corsair is the best memory going however some poeple don't want to shell out so much money on memory """"

Man I just spent $150 on PNY which sucked because I was going to get Kingson or Corsair but the comp usa wouldent let me take my money back

Matched Ram means they are matched in latencies and are proven to work together. Think we all know no two sticks of DDR are alike. When you buy the memory paired by the manufacturer, they insure it will work together in Dual Channel operation with the i865/i875 chipsets. Another friend didn't listen to me and ended up buying 3GB of DDR that wouldn't operate in Dual Channel without giving him an error message about the incompadibility. He returned all of it and got the DDR I suggested and all was fine. He tried taking the advice of another friend and it didn't work out too well for him.

What is Matched or Certified Dual Channel Memory?

Companies like Corsair, OCZ, and Mushkin produce what they call "dual channel" memory, or Dual Channel Kits. These are sold in pairs, so for instance you might buy a 512MB or 2x256MB Dual Channel Kit, which consists of 2 sticks 256MB DDR memory paired together by the manufacturer.

Companies don't just throw two sticks of RAM together to produce these kits, but they don't necessarily produce a totally different batch of RAM either. Testing or qualifying Dual Channel memory might involve something as simple as a QA technician booting up a pair of RAM in a Dual Channel motherboard and ensuring they work together under a set of conditions, or it could be more complicated, including so called "SPD" optimisations and even chip selection (we're inclined not to put much trust in the latter claims).

For your purposes, you should assume that Dual Channel memory is qualified through testing. Companies will claim that every pair of Dual Channel memory is tested prior to being packaged. Corsair memory is even packed with stickers using serialized numbers so you can easily find out which two modules were paired at the factory (OCZ on the other hand, have not been doing this as of the writing of this FAQ, and so if you buy multiple kits from OCZ you might not be able to distinguish which modules is matched with which).

Sometimes people get lucky... why risk it though? My time is more valuable to me to waste on exchanging components.

Peace,

Dazz
12-28-03, 12:34 PM
Pft i think it's marking hype, they said for nForce2 boards you need 2 DIMM of the same size to work in dual channel mode and you should buy the dual memory packs, i had a 128MB, 256MB & 512MB DIMM all in once and it was in dual channel mode. Not that it makes much diffrence with a Athlon.