PDA

View Full Version : Still gaming happily with a T-Bird?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ragejg
09-27-02, 09:11 AM
Though I've just purchased an XP1600 (big jump from a 1.33 t-bird, huh?) I still believe in the merits of a well equipped Athlon Thunderbird system... The past two months have given us glimpses of the immediate future (Doom 3, Unreal 2, etc...) which IMO could detail the beginning of the end for the T-Bird. Don't get me wrong, I know (at this point... and yes I am ready) that a 1.4 (kicked to 1.8 somehow) paired with DDR333 memory and a Radeon 9700 can still COMPLETELY hold it's own against it's younger siblings... I love the processor comparison in 3dmark's ORB. My OEM style system, only OC'ed in the vidcard dept, scored better than the average XP running at 1600 AND 1800, and 1% under the avg. P4 2.1... That's value. And yes, I place my stock in gameplay and enjoyment, not scores, but the figures are interesting nonetheless... So , without further ado, here's m y thread, started in Sept...

Any game-heads still out there cranking away happily with T-birds?

In my community, 60% of us have 900-1100 Durons, 20% of us have T-Birds, and the last 20% is split between Celerons, PIII's and XP's. P4's are nonexistant around here save for a few 2-D business only systems.

I (EDIT: did) own an Athlon 1.33 and get all I need out of it. Heck, I was even happy with a GA-7ZMMH (sdram) with 256mb RAM & a Duron 950 (@997) paired with a ti200.

It feels like we're still in 2001.

Where's the relevance? Look a PC gamer magazine from summer of last year...

UNREAL II COMING SOON!!
THE SIMS GO ONLINE!!
FINALLY SOME DX8 GAMES!!

Then look at a PC gamer magazine from this summer...

UNREAL 2003 COMING SOON!!
THE SIMS GO ONLINE!!
FINALLY SOME DX8 GAMES!!

...Seems like required functionality hasn't really increased that much. To me, you can call a T-Bird 1.4 with 512MB DDR and a Geforce 3 a hot system. What do you guys think? I welcome responses from elite-ists as well as the TNT-K6 crowd.

THIS IS INTENDED TO BE A CPU THREAD, BUT I DONT MIND FEEDBACK ON MY GF3 COMMENT...

Smokey
09-27-02, 03:10 PM
Ive never had a T-Bird :( but when Q3 came out I was on a 433 Celeron with 64mb RAM and a TNT1 and I was happy. My next pc was an Athlon classic 700 256MB RAM with a GeforceDDR. Now my specs are below. My borther inlaw is still using a Duron700 and its doing fine, he just got a GF4Ti4200 he wont need to change his cpu for at least another 6mnths I think. Hardware is usually about 2 years ahead of games and I dont see that changing for awhile.

styles-T
09-27-02, 05:47 PM
I have pretty much the same system you mentioned except 512mb of 2100..

I would say this is the avg. system of today..But when Doom3 and UT2003 hit the shelves I might find myself upgrading..

Starting with my GF3 and my Processor..

Now I feel all nostalgic..you made me think of the past when I had a pentium 2 playing tribes with my voodoo card..its pretty amazing how far we've come..

to tell you the truth I remember my commodore 64 with 5.25 floppies..now thats old school gaming =)

thcdru2k
09-27-02, 07:25 PM
ehh got an old 1.1ghz tbird and a geforce2, runs ut2k3 extremely smooth at 800x600 with normal settings. faster than my geforce4 system using 1024x768 with max settings and quincunx.

borntosoul
09-30-02, 09:17 AM
yeh i have a 1333 mhz tbird with 256 ddr ram and it runs sweet ,cant wait to upgrade my card though its a gf2mx :( ,unreal torn 2003 demo runs fine with graphincs turned down a bit ,yeh i think the old tbird will last me till late next year ,meanwhile i hope to get a decent graphics card :)

GHost Hacker
09-30-02, 05:18 PM
1.2GHz T-Bird 266 paired with 512MB of PC-133 SD-Ram and a ASUS A7V-133C motherboard. On top of that Ive got a ASUS V8200 T5 Pure GF3 Ti500 and this little puppy is humming along just fine.

No problems what so ever to play the games of today with every little thing turned to max in 1024x768 or 1280x1024 depeding on which game it might be. And this will probably go even for the games of tomorrow as well. Had some plans on upgrading to maybe a XP 2600+, but I dont think this will be necessary until fall 2003 or even spring 2004.

And besides, by that time theres probably not even Athlon XPs that people are running, most likely were talking Hammer prime time then. Im not the one to speculate about that matter, but everything is pointing in that direction.

Will probably switch the motherboard to one with KT333 and just might end up buying myself a GF4 4200, but the CPU is going to stay for quite a while if nothing unexpected happens. So to round this up, I can just say that Im very happily gaming along with my T-Bird.

thcdru2k
09-30-02, 08:02 PM
clock for clock there is nothing wrong with a tbird compared to an xp. if overclocked and tweaked properly, the difference at same clock is very little. couple 100 3dmarks at most.

vampireuk
10-01-02, 04:04 AM
I have a 850 T-bird, and I need a upgrade for sure. Games run ok but they are getting a liiil slow now.

StealthHawk
10-01-02, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
clock for clock there is nothing wrong with a tbird compared to an xp. if overclocked and tweaked properly, the difference at same clock is very little. couple 100 3dmarks at most.

or 10fps in Quake 3, whatever you value more :D

regardless of that, there are no fast Tbirds, the difference between the newest Athlon XP and the newest Tbird is quite big

Nutty
10-01-02, 03:38 PM
Yeah I'm on a T-Bird.

Athlon 1ghz, slightly overclocked, with PC133 memory :)

Getting a little slow, but still fast enuff for most games out now.

Still got the pencil lead over my L1 bridge too :)

jnd3
10-01-02, 03:46 PM
Athlon 700 MHz on an Abit KT7
PC133 SDRAM (256 MB)
GF2 GTS

Yeah, I'm pretty much reaching the limits of good gameplay. I can still get 10x7 in JK2, Freedom Force, M:TW, and even UT2003, though, so I can stretch it out until the nforce2/NV30 is in wide distribution...

But then again, when I saw the Alienware PC with the 4600 running JK2 on display at Best Buy, though, they had to call the guy with the mop...

Cheers,
JND

Blakhart
10-05-02, 11:26 AM
I agree, the diff betwixt the tbird and the xp is in slight, speed for speed. I use a tbird 750 as a backup cpu to my xp1800. It is just about half benchwise of the 1800. Yeah they scale about the same it seems. I have a duron 700 been wanting to try for scale.
Anyone else keep backup cpus rather than whole systems?

ragejg
10-05-02, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I keep a duron 600 (you COULD call it a 900) around in case something goes wrong. @ 900 it doesn't do too bad w/ddr and a GF4ti.

TheOneKEA
10-06-02, 03:47 PM
I've got a old hot Thunderbird on an Abit KT7A (see sig). 1000MHz is getting long in the tooth; PSN I'll have a 1200MHz processor as an interim, and then in the future I'll either buy an XP 1800+ or an XP 2400+.

PaiN
10-08-02, 04:54 AM
Yesterday, I smoked the my OC'd 2200+ (its a whole other story :mad: ). All I had on hand to replace it was a T-Bird 1333, for haha's I did some gaming last night, maybe its because I went backwards but I noticed a huge performance differance it had lots of trouble tring to feed this 9700, for all games I had to shut all AA & Anso. off and in UT2k3 had to drop back to 800x600. To me the hit going from the 2200+ (@166) to the 1333 (@133) was / is dramatic

StealthHawk
10-08-02, 05:06 AM
well, the R9700Pro is a very CPU limited card, even with today's top end systems. so you definitely would want as fast a CPU as possible t use with it.

however, that really isn't the point. the question is whether or not those older systems of yore from 1-2 years ago are still viable. obviously pairing a R9700Pro with an old Tbird with no plans to upgrade CPUs anytime soon would probably be a waste of money.

PaiN
10-08-02, 05:44 AM
Point is, I was relating my recent experiance, that's relivent to this topic.
StealthHawk, what is your point? a little biases toward someone without an nvidia card?
You know, I bet people at this forum use Abit motherboards or a different mouse than me, maybe I shouldn't post here at all...hmmm

TheOneKEA
10-08-02, 06:04 AM
My Tbird 1000MHz with CL3 PC133 memory doesn't seem to have trouble stuffing a GF2GTS full of data; 1152x864x24@90FPS with high texture detail. Very nice :) - for now :(

StealthHawk
10-08-02, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PaiN
Point is, I was relating my recent experiance, that's relivent to this topic.
StealthHawk, what is your point? a little biases toward someone without an nvidia card?
You know, I bet people at this forum use Abit motherboards or a different mouse than me, maybe I shouldn't post here at all...hmmm

the point is that it is completely obvious that the R9700Pro doesn't perform as well on a Tbird as it does on an AthlonXP...nothing surprising there at all. as you become more CPU limited, you should notice less of a performance decrease with AF and FSAA as well.

anyway, what is that old saying? ignorance is bliss? that is, people may be happy with their old systems, but once they experience better, going back to something slower is hell :D

of course im sure there are some people who probably couldn't tell the performance difference ;)

The Baron
10-08-02, 05:12 PM
Gonna buy me a Barton and NV30 sometime early next year.

This 1.4 box is OK, but it's littered with problems (read: the mobo sucks. it literally sucks. plus the whole thing runs daaaaaaamn hot, so I need to get me one that runs at a non 53 degrees C temp)... plus UT2k3 doesn't run too well (I turned some stuff down to normal and get a good 40-60 FPS everywhere except after about an hour or so... then it starts stuttering, but I think that's a memory leak in the game).

So yeah, going to upgrade sometime in the relatively near future.

PaiN
10-08-02, 05:13 PM
StealthHawk
Yes, thank you so much for your reiteration of what I had said. It needed a demeaning edge to it. I'm sure all the readers that are below your your fine tuned eye and, I'm sure, your highly advanced knowledge of PC hardware that couldn't tell the difference between a very fast CPU and a slow one needed your valuable input, readers being ignorant and all ;) In fact they wouldn't have even have understood me without your clairification. You are an Ass.

MikeC
10-08-02, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by PaiN
StealthHawk
Yes, thank you so much for your reiteration of what I had said. It needed a demeaning edge to it. I'm sure all the readers that are below your your fine tuned eye and, I'm sure, your highly advanced knowledge of PC hardware that couldn't tell the difference between a very fast CPU and a slow one needed your valuable input, readers being ignorant and all ;) In fact they wouldn't have even have understood me without your clairification. You are an Ass.

I thought SealthHawk's information about the Radeon 9700 was appropriate to this conversation. You can't assume that readers of this thread would have known otherwise.

Also, please refrain from insulting other forum members when they don't agree with you.

borntosoul
10-09-02, 01:38 AM
well i dont know about you guys but im planning on getting an nv 30 and keeping my amd 1333 ,i dont agree with most of you at all , as long as the prosesor is fast enough to push the card past the min fram rates thats what counts ,im not saying that it wont be better with a faster cpu but i think you all have blown this up too much, the difference in frame rates between cpu in the high res ranges is much smaller than the difference in gpu ,and when you add aa its even smaller ,gpu is much more important by a huge amount

ragejg
10-09-02, 06:40 AM
I'm also in agreement on this. Now I may buy an XP soon, but will do so knowing that it's nothing like a jump from a K6/2-500 to a Duron 950.

- T-Birds have DDR harnessed well.

- They overclock decently.

- 1.2-1.4's (@ 266) seem to scale perfectly with the upcoming generation of games.

- Existing cooling solutions keep tbird heat in check.

...I wonder what a 1.4 tbird feels like on a KT333 with ATA-133...

Probably pretty damn nice.

If I remember the old benchmarks correctly, it seems that they should have used the speed rating system with the 266 tbird processors anyway, as my 1.33 wiped the floor with a P4 1.5 RAMBUS.

...except the memory tests of course.

I don't mean to be lobbying against the gamer adage "bigger better faster more"... but as time passes, the Duron's glow dims, and a new champion of value gaming will be crowned.

LONG LIVE THE THUNDERBIRD!:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

PaiN
10-09-02, 03:56 PM
Sorry if I offened. I did not like the the comments came across.