PDA

View Full Version : 17" LCD recomendations

Pages : [1] 2

vampireuk
12-28-03, 02:09 PM
A friend of mine is looking to get a new monitor, hes looking for a 17" lcd, any suggestions?:)

GlowStick
12-28-03, 02:26 PM
Heh, why yes, if he wants to game on a 17'' lcd then the 'HOT' LCD these days are made by hyundai

The only one you can really (not) get is the Hercules Propehtview 920 Pro Dvi/regular

you can order it though hercules direct, HOWEVER, its been on backorder for 2 months and none have shipped out yet.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=621584&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=39634&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

i waited in that list for 2 weeks and got pissed and cancled.

however, Amazon.com claims they have a shipment in and its on their 'will ship in 1 to 2 weeks' deal, so i put my name in for that, however they have the wrong picture, so possiblilty of me getting the wrong item or some bs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00013B2IA/qid=1072643103//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl23/002-7118071-8488848?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Shot story, the 20ms looks better than the 16ms AUOPTRONICS panels (hitachi planar etc etc)

There are about 100 people waiting in line for these puppys, they are the hot item : \

heh, i forgot that your in the UK, then in that case it should be fairly easy for you to get one, mainly they are all in the uk, i checked a few sites and it was about the same price (converted to pounds) as they are charnging us.

His only choice now is DVI or to not DVI, its about a 50$US option

Dazz
12-28-03, 02:46 PM
LG 1710B(U) kick ass LCD gets abit warm after a few hours mind, guess that happens to all of them really.

My 'so' called review is there too as thats where i got mine from, also note it does both DVI and Analoge you can also hook it up to two systems and switch between them just tried it today :) Also note when in DVI the refresh rate is locked @ 60Hz, bad thing about DVI LCD's but 60Hz is nothing as you don't get eye strain like CRT's :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000092QWQ/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-6487207-7919648

GlowStick
12-28-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
LG 1710B(U) kick ass LCD gets abit warm after a few hours mind, guess that happens to all of them really.

My 'so' called review is there too as thats where i got mine from, also note it does both DVI and Analoge you can also hook it up to two systems and switch between them just tried it today :) Also note when in DVI the refresh rate is locked @ 60Hz, bad thing about DVI LCD's but 60Hz is nothing as you don't get eye strain like CRT's :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000092QWQ/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-6487207-7919648 That monitor is the same as my hitachi, it has the same AUOptronics screen.

I have to say, the monitor isnt bad, but not good. It cannot display alot of colors. Also the 16ms applys to some colors, the rest are longer.

Its a nice lcd, but if you not gonna use gameing id say get one with better color!

saturnotaku
12-28-03, 03:02 PM
I have the Hitachi CM174 and love it. I've seen other displays in action and don't like them nearly as much as what I have.

Dazz
12-28-03, 03:06 PM
Guess it depends on what you want it for? 16ms is excellent for games 20ms you may get abit of ghosting. 25ms it's noticable in action games.

GlowStick
12-28-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Guess it depends on what you want it for? 16ms is excellent for games 20ms you may get abit of ghosting. 25ms it's noticable in action games. the only problem is there is more ghosting in the 16ms panel than the 20ms panel. the explination is AUOptroncis selects only certin color transisitons to quote the 16ms.

Dazz
12-28-03, 03:38 PM
LG say it does 16.2m colours down from 16.7m

Smokey
12-28-03, 06:09 PM
I say go take a look at the reviews at www.pcadvisor.co.uk (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk) they class the Iiyama ProLite E431S in top place, stating that image and text quality couldnt be matched, you already know that brand, dont you Vamp ;)

Dazz
12-28-03, 06:20 PM
Smokey i HATE YOU :mad: ;) it makes me want to buy one now.

GlowStick
12-28-03, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
I say go take a look at the reviews at www.pcadvisor.co.uk (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk) they class the Iiyama ProLite E431S in top place, stating that image and text quality couldnt be matched, you already know that brand, dont you Vamp ;) Thats the same exact screen that thes in the hitachi and dazz's one he ponted out, they are the same heh.

Its not a bad screen, just wayyy over rated, the hyundai is much better for gameing.

PenguinJim
12-28-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Its not a bad screen, just wayyy over rated, the hyundai is much better for gameing.
Really? :(

I needed a new monitor, and these looked the best. Of course, non in stock ANYWHERE here in the UK until January :p living in 800x600 hell has done some weird things to my head recently.

The E431S is significantly cheaper than the Prophetview, though :) can be had for as little as 320 (a bargain for a 16ms 17" DVI TFT). And a choice between Ivory, Silver or Black!

netviper13
12-29-03, 12:00 AM
I own the NEC/Mitsubishi 1760NX and it's been a great piece of hardware ever since the day I bought it. 16ms response time (can't remember which display it uses), and great color and brightness. It has VGA and DVI inputs as well.

GlowStick
12-29-03, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
Really? :(

I needed a new monitor, and these looked the best. Of course, non in stock ANYWHERE here in the UK until January :p living in 800x600 hell has done some weird things to my head recently.

The E431S is significantly cheaper than the Prophetview, though :) can be had for as little as 320 (a bargain for a 16ms 17" DVI TFT). And a choice between Ivory, Silver or Black! Yeah, the herc is a better monitor, thats why so many people are waiting in line to get them. But on the price issue your right, for what you pay you definatly get ALOT.

But i already have one 17'' 16ms and am not completely satisfied, so im going for the full color range 20ms!

ALobpreis
12-30-03, 01:48 PM
Check this post (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=604954) (just copy the content of the post and close the window ;) ).
It has very useful info about LCDs. After you read all that, you know what to look after in an LCD.

MUYA
12-30-03, 01:58 PM
I have a Phillips 170B4MG...its been great...for one you actually get 17" of viewable screen, its a grade A panel and no ghosting when I game..and I game a lot of FPS and F1 :D Its supposed to be average 25ms rise/fall time and 15ms at best but no ghosting except on f1 when the cranes are rendered.

Oh Yeah i got it free as well :D my friends in HKG got me it for 3 years collective belated birthday gift! nice friends eh? :D All i got them was a round of drink :D ...i know cheapskake ;)

emotionstation
12-31-03, 08:52 PM
saturnotaku's hitachi CML174 is the best 17" LCD on the market for gaming.

There's no other comparable (in performance and price) TFT screen on the market that can offer around 12-16ms rise/fall.

UDawg
01-03-04, 09:03 PM
This will be mine when I get my tax return. :D /jumps up and down like a tard.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/320-1578.jpg
20" with 16ms of lovin'

GlowStick
01-03-04, 10:46 PM
news update!

Im getting my Herc monitor Tuesday or Wendsday, and then ill beable to do a side by side comparison of the 16ms vs 20ms.

I even have 2 of the same videa cards so i can judge color diffrences etc.

EMunEeE
01-05-04, 11:03 PM
Another vote for the Hitachi CMLSWX174B (black LCD)...excellent LCD. I have it and I will never go back to CRTs again. No ghosting and its $409.00 shipped @ Newegg.com (the Hitachi CML174 white that is)

GlowStick
01-06-04, 12:26 AM
I get my Herc Monitor tomrow, i said what the HEY and upped 2nd day to overnight for a mere $49.99

Fatman
01-06-04, 10:30 AM
Bumpage.

I'm looking for a good gaming LCD as well. Please keep the info coming.

GlowStick
01-06-04, 07:26 PM
Hi,

I got my monitor and played UT2K3 with it and those 64k demos on it and then tested the same on my AUOPTRONICS 16ms panel.

Here are some pictures Of the boxes.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=255535

As you can see, the Hercules box is pleaseing to the eye, decrotive and displays the specs and looks HIP. The Hitachi Box is dull and uneventfull, however the werid thing is they are about the same size and same style (they open the same).

Next to the contents

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=255537

As you can see, it comes with alot of little parts, these are mainly to make sure it can Connect to ANY DVI type (there are 2 standards) and VGA (via adaptor) You will notice that to power this device you have a transformer that is not integrated into the monitor, this makes the monitor slimmer and gives it more appeal, however it makes the unit EASY to lose. The hitachi uses a standard plug into the back, most computer enthusiasts have alot of them to spare, so if you lose it, it is no big deal and they can be bought cheeply at any computer store. The Hitachi also has inputs on the bottom of the monitor, so you can detach the cables from the monitor, while the Hercules cable is integrated. I prefer the cable attachment method the Hitachi sports. This allows the user to not 'screw' in the cable, and if the lcd falls or gets knocked over you will not damage the cord witch is VERY hard to repair. (eg. pulled out from the monitor)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=255539

LOOKS.

At a Lan looks can be a nice factor to have. Fortunaly the Herucles has plenty of it. It has a sleek black/silver metal look to it. Infact the whole back is metal and the stand is metal. However the front plate is plastic, along with the buttons. This definatly will steel the show at LAN's! (get it steel heh!) The hitachi looks plane jane and nothing special. Not really much to say about it.

Now to what we have all been waiting for!

20ms vs 16ms

Most manufacutrers would like you to belive that 16ms is faster, and it is, but they do not test equally. And AUOptronics dose admit that thier product dose not display all the colors correctly, and is not a ture 16ms panel.

For the Test i useed my two computers below both have a form of Radeon 9800 Pro, both monitors were connected via DVI and both used cat 3.10 with 2xAA and 8xAF enabled.

The Game: Unreal Tournament 2003

I have to say, the Hitachi was a joke, it had more ghosting than the Hercules. But what made it worse was in dark areas the Hitachi's colors would get worse, in very dark situations you cannot see at all.

The Hercules monitor had very birght colors, and i noticed little motion blur, though there was still some.

Both monitors did not handle dark areas as well as a CRT, however the herucles handled the areas ALOT better than the hitachi.

I have to conclude that hands down the Herucles PropehtView 920 Pro DVi is the best Gameing LCD out there, it has style and preformance, however it dose cost a great deal more than the AUOptronic panels witch are acceptable for gameing.

Teh End!

Fatman
01-07-04, 08:43 AM
I thought HITACHI CML174SXW was the good one, why are you reviewing 175 model?

PenguinJim
01-07-04, 09:42 AM
Dead pixel count, please, Glowey! :)

Does anyone here have an Iiyama E431S? It's (apparently) better and (definitely) cheaper than the Prophetview, but I'm stiiiiiiiiill waiting on it :( darn TFT shortage.