PDA

View Full Version : Problem with game

Pages : [1] 2

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 01:39 PM
Well, I play a game called Counter-Strike and a GeForce FX 5200, about one month ago I started getting really low FPS, (frames per second) and I don't really know why, I've tried installing more recent drivers and nothing works, can somebody give me some help.

digitalwanderer
12-31-03, 01:43 PM
Tell us more about when it first started. Had you recently installed anything or made any changes?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 01:53 PM
I'm not really sure, it had been working fine for about a month and a half. Then one day I went into the main menu and in the netgraph it said 4.0fps, I was like wtf? I usually get about 72.0 fps at the main menu. I have 2 versions of the game, 1.5 and 1.6 . 1.5 you install on a CD and 1.6 you have a program running called Steam. I'm not really sure if it won't support my video card or not. Tell me some more information that I can give to you so you can understand it more.

digitalwanderer
12-31-03, 02:27 PM
What kind of internet connection do you have and what programs do you have normally running in the background on your PC? Also, do you know what version of Steam you're using and did you perchance happen to install/update Steam around the same time as your slow-downs started?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 02:47 PM
I have Cable internet (Road Runner), usually the only program is steam (required for Counterstrike) and maybe my pop-up stopper. This is the first version of steam and it updates every wednesday.

Edge
12-31-03, 03:33 PM
Just to make sure, you didn't turn on Anti-aliasing or anything like that, did you? Turning on 8xAA will effectivly lower your framerate to 1/8th of what it normally is (more or less). Also you might want to turn off v-sync, it could be causing minor performance issues (though nowhere near as severe as what you're getting). An FX5200 is roughly equal to a GF3 in speed, so it should easilly be able to run CS at 100 FPS without AA. Unless it's a Steam problem, which wouldn't suprise me since that program still has...issues.

Oh, and have you tried any other games to see if you have the same problem? Or is it limited to CS?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 07:23 PM
And how do I turn off AA and v-sync

digitalwanderer
12-31-03, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by DestumteseL
And how do I turn off AA and v-sync
Right-click anywhere on your open desktop, click on "Properties" and then "Advanced Options"....look under D3D and openGL tabs. (Sorry, it's been a while since I played with any nVidia cards...ask me next week. ;) )

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 07:48 PM
All it says is General, Adapter, Monitor, TroubleShooing, Color Management

Edge
12-31-03, 08:17 PM
Uh, there's no FX5200 or GeforceFX or some tab like that? OK...that's kinda odd....are you sure you downloaded the right drivers for your OS?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 08:19 PM
Ok, now I got it but I dont know what to do. (nub)

Edit: I turned off vertical sync for OpenGL, is there anything else I need to do?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 09:35 PM
GOD DAMNIT! I still get 4.0 fps and I am starting to get really pissed.

digitalwanderer
12-31-03, 09:41 PM
Check your AA & AF options, what levels are they set to?

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 11:13 PM
Well, I don't really know what those stand-for and I don't know where to find them.

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 11:25 PM
Do you have IRC, MSN, or AIM so we can continue this fastly?

digitalwanderer
12-31-03, 11:40 PM
Do you have IRC, MSN, or AIM so we can continue this fastly?
No I don't, it takes up too much of my time when I use it so I tend to keep putting off re-installing Trillian. ;)

AA= Anti-aliasing
AF= Anisotropic filtering

Look under your directX & openGL tabs for something about it.

DestumteseL
12-31-03, 11:53 PM
Theyre both off.

The Baron
12-31-03, 11:55 PM
Oh, Dig is wrong about that. AA/AF settings aren't under D3D or OGL, they're under a separate tab called "Image Quality" or "Quality Settings" or something like that. The page has three sliders--it has the Intellisample Quality slider, with the options of High Performance, Performance, and Quality, the AA slider (which might be greyed out because of an application controlled checkbox), and the AF slider (which again might be greyed out).

Rob_0126
01-01-04, 07:16 AM
I have Cable internet (Road Runner), usually the only program is steam (required for Counterstrike) and maybe my pop-up stopper. This is the first version of steam and it updates every wednesday.

Try turning the popup stopper off. I had a problem with one of those slowing things down. Not sure if it would have an effect on fps, but doesn't hurt to try.

Robert

DestumteseL
01-01-04, 04:06 PM
It might of been my pop-up stopper, I removed it from my computer and then the game worked fine but then I quit and when I went back in it didnt work again.

Rob_0126
01-01-04, 04:50 PM
It might of been my pop-up stopper, I removed it from my computer and then the game worked fine but then I quit and when I went back in it didnt work again.

Virus? Or a registry scramble.

What exactly do you mean by not working?

Robert

Heavyd
01-01-04, 06:37 PM
Why is Counter-Strike so addictive to you people..... like what can u get out off that then something like Solider of Fortune 2 or Quake 3 or Medal of Honor

DestumteseL
01-02-04, 09:30 AM
Actually I play Medal of Honor sometimes, but Counter-Strike is my favorite. What I mean by not working is getting 4.0 fps which causes the main menu to move extremely slowly and while connecting to servers usually takes about 1 minute, takes like 6.

I might as well use a system restore disk because it might be a virus from AIM or something, I've already had a few of those.

Rob_0126
01-02-04, 02:41 PM
Check out the background processes. Something is eating up CPU time.

At 1 point, IE was eating up 98% of my cpu, for no apparent reason. Probably some LEET Asshole hacking my pc. :rolleyes:

Robert

DestumteseL
01-02-04, 07:25 PM
I don't run anything in the background anymore. There is some peculiar temporary internet files that are in my processes such as: alg.exe, gmt.exe, msbb.exe, and some other wierd **** that i dont think is supposed to be there, it might be one of those.