PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Cooling Fluids

Switch
09-27-02, 10:53 PM
With processors getting faster and hotter, water cooling is starting to look really good. Only problem is I don't want to be cooling my PC with something that could essentially destroy it. I'd rather go for something that was not conductive. Any ideas? Iso Alcohol comes to mind though I'm not sure what the performance would be compared to other cooling fluids.

thcdru2k
09-27-02, 11:01 PM
i remember a while back a 200mmx that was completely drenched in mineral oil..lol.. that thing overclocked crazy.

LORD-eX-Bu
09-28-02, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I saw that too. What you could try to do is go to your electric company and ask for a few gallons of the transformer oil that they use, I mean, you'd probably have to buy it, but it is non-conductive and works great. It not only cools, but it suppresses all noice. You'd have to get a fishtank or something and set it up to hold everything, but you don't want to put the HD or any CD-rom on it, otherwise it will get ruined. ANyways, I doubt anyone would do this, but hey, its cool.:D

fishlung
09-28-02, 01:17 AM
Distilled water is the best you can do, unless you're important enough to have access to methods to cool your components by submersing them, like some supercomputers or some such.

Alcohol and oils conduct heat poorly. Far more poorly than water. I suggest adding a little Water Wetter, made by Redline Racing, to your distilled water setup. It will really, really reduce metal corrosion and algae growth. Good stuff.

As long as you test your water system for a day or two, to make sure it doesn't leak, and to run out the air bubbles and such, before installing it into your PC, you should be fine.

My system has been up and running for almost a year now with no problems. My temperatures aren't as good as they could be, but that's because I'm using a small radiator, and it lives inside my PC where it doesn't cool as well as it could.

Have fun!

Switch
09-28-02, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by fishlung
Distilled water is the best you can do, unless you're important enough to have access to methods to cool your components by submersing them, like some supercomputers or some such.

Alcohol and oils conduct heat poorly. Far more poorly than water. I suggest adding a little Water Wetter, made by Redline Racing, to your distilled water setup. It will really, really reduce metal corrosion and algae growth. Good stuff.

As long as you test your water system for a day or two, to make sure it doesn't leak, and to run out the air bubbles and such, before installing it into your PC, you should be fine.

My system has been up and running for almost a year now with no problems. My temperatures aren't as good as they could be, but that's because I'm using a small radiator, and it lives inside my PC where it doesn't cool as well as it could.

Have fun!

Hmmmm... no alcohol and no oil... :( oh well. Distilled water and that water wetter stuff doesn't sound bad then. Is algae growth really a problem in a water cooling setup? Never heard of that before.

vampireuk
09-29-02, 06:40 AM
well if you gave up on the water cooling you would have a ready made fish tank complete with algae:D

Matthyahuw
09-29-02, 05:12 PM
I heard tomato juice works well...

Switch
09-29-02, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I heard tomato juice works well...

lol :D