PDA

View Full Version : Glide Wrapper

Pages : [1] 2

zivilian
01-01-04, 08:39 PM
Anyone know a good glide wrapper that works with tribes 1 i tryed a few but most dotn work or are very bad

The Baron
01-01-04, 09:22 PM
can't you just use OpenGL?

zivilian
01-01-04, 09:40 PM
yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno

The Baron
01-01-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by zivilian
yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.

|JuiceZ|
01-01-04, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.

:rofl sad, sad.....

zivilian
01-01-04, 10:27 PM
lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out

The Baron
01-01-04, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by zivilian
lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out
back when Tribes FIRST came out, there was only Glide support. and then they added GL support in a patch. and GL support was improved to the point where it didn't make a difference. but the Tribes community (that I have complained about bitterly on many occasions) is made up of almost as many idiots as the CS community, and a lot of them still swear by Glide.

Edge
01-01-04, 10:39 PM

LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference ;)

Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.

zivilian
01-01-04, 11:35 PM
ahh ok ty

StealthHawk
01-02-04, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.

I don't think there are any Glide wrappers that support the version of Glide used by Diablo2. At least, I couldn't find any when I looked back in the day.

I thought the rendering engine was junk(it probably is), but Diablo2 is really just a memory hog.

Edge
01-02-04, 04:10 AM
Oh, I wasn't sure if there were any that supported Diablo 2, I just kinda assumed given how glidecentric that game was back in the day (no colored lights, spell transparencies, and many other graphic effects in D3D).

And yeah, the Diablo 2 engine was pretty inefficient. I think it's Glide mode is ok, but even then it seems to use a hell of a lot more ram then it needs to. Even Warcraft 3 uses less memory and overall just runs smoother, I think.

Moled
01-02-04, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Edge
LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference ;)

pffft
with glide you get the rain on raindance, which you didn't get with opengl

why would you need any reason other than that?

Gator
01-02-04, 08:43 AM

ROFL!

Well, as an alternative you could have built him that rig but instead of the Voodoo3, give him a modern video card like the FX5900 or R9800, then simply combine that with a Voodoo2, or two Voodoo2's in SLI. I've played with dual Voodoo2's with my current rig and it works perfectly fine for Glide. As long as you got the PCI slots available and your a diehard Glide fan, Voodoo2 is your savior.

Zivilian, this might be a good fix for you too. Trust me the Voodoo2 works with ANY video card, it doesn't care. Look for them on ebay ;)

The Baron
01-02-04, 10:20 AM
Voodoo2 is wonky on XP, I think, which is the only drawback.

But I'd still like one so I could dual-boot--95% of hard drive for XP, 5% for DOS. :)

Gator
01-02-04, 11:51 AM
Voodoo2 is wonky on XP, I think, which is the only drawback.

But I'd still like one so I could dual-boot--95% of hard drive for XP, 5% for DOS. :)

Voodoo2 works perfectly fine on XP. Trust me I've used it extensively with WinXP. All you gotta do is install the standard Win2k Voodoo2 drivers from http://www.voodoofiles.com and upon reboot if you get an error message, just use a Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net) or similar program to remove "Voodoo2" from the system startup. The driver will STILL load, and it works great, even in SLI mode.

Rob_0126
01-02-04, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Gator
Voodoo2 works perfectly fine on XP. Trust me I've used it extensively with WinXP. All you gotta do is install the standard Win2k Voodoo2 drivers from http://www.voodoofiles.com and upon reboot if you get an error message, just use a Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net) or similar program to remove "Voodoo2" from the system startup. The driver will STILL load, and it works great, even in SLI mode.

What exactly does the V2 SLI mode do for a fast computer these days?

About Glide; I thought Glide was a better API than Direct X, but Opengl is more flexible.
It's sad that Glide was 3dfx exclusive :o

I liked glide. When I played Unreal Tournament, I could tell a big difference in DX mode and Glide mode; it just looked better, especially the lighting effects. But now, thats ancient history. :rolleyes:

Robert

RAY16
01-02-04, 04:21 PM
When nVidia bought 3DFX, didn't they get the rights to the Glide API? If so, they should update it a little and add it to future cards just for the sake of backward compatibility.

Gator
01-02-04, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
What exactly does the V2 SLI mode do for a fast computer these days?

About Glide; I thought Glide was a better API than Direct X, but Opengl is more flexible.
It's sad that Glide was 3dfx exclusive :o

I liked glide. When I played Unreal Tournament, I could tell a big difference in DX mode and Glide mode; it just looked better, especially the lighting effects. But now, thats ancient history. :rolleyes:

Robert

SLI is still useful when you consider the Voodoo2 only has 12mb of texture space. By using SLI, it doubles to 24mb. This is not alot when you compare it to modern day cards, so 12mb vs 24mb can make the difference between using 640x480 resolution vs 800x600 resolution. The fastest CPU in the world isn't gonna help you if your video card is limited ;). I've actually experimented with single vs dual SLI voodoo2, and I would actually see the jump in FPS rates.

And glide was good, but it had some set backs including only 16bit color support and not 24bit or 32bit. You can force 32bit with the Voodoo5, but it still isn't really supported. The truth is Glide is good for games written for glide such as Unreal Tournament, but Opengl is good enough now that so long as you have an updated renderer it can outperform Glide. I run UT at 1024x768 @ 32bit color @ 85hz in Opengl... which is something Glide could never handle ;)

I recommend the Voodoo2 for Glide fans though, because it's a hell of a lot easier to get working than some of the Glide wrappers, and this way it's GENUINE Glide :cool:

Rob_0126
01-03-04, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Gator
SLI is still useful when you consider the Voodoo2 only has 12mb of texture space. By using SLI, it doubles to 24mb. This is not alot when you compare it to modern day cards, so 12mb vs 24mb can make the difference between using 640x480 resolution vs 800x600 resolution. The fastest CPU in the world isn't gonna help you if your video card is limited ;). I've actually experimented with single vs dual SLI voodoo2, and I would actually see the jump in FPS rates.

And glide was good, but it had some set backs including only 16bit color support and not 24bit or 32bit. You can force 32bit with the Voodoo5, but it still isn't really supported. The truth is Glide is good for games written for glide such as Unreal Tournament, but Opengl is good enough now that so long as you have an updated renderer it can outperform Glide. I run UT at 1024x768 @ 32bit color @ 85hz in Opengl... which is something Glide could never handle ;)

I recommend the Voodoo2 for Glide fans though, because it's a hell of a lot easier to get working than some of the Glide wrappers, and this way it's GENUINE Glide :cool:

Cool. :)

Hey, I wonder what if, 3dfx was one of the v card giants now, instead of nividia?

Robert

D.K.Tronics
01-03-04, 09:12 AM
There are a couple of Glide wrappers worth mentioning.

Glidos, is a wrapper mostly for DOS glide games. It runs many of the old DOS glide games rather well, but it's shareware, and costs 10/$10.
In particular, is it's ability to run Tombraider 1, in a new "Hi-Res" state. It looks amazing, far superior to what it used to look like. It also comes with a windows GLIDE2X.DLL, which will work on many windows games.

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/_gfx/examples/sample_caves_03.jpg

http://www.glidos.net/

But the best of all of them is a wrapper called dgVoodoo, written by a guy from Hungary. Unfortunately, he is doing service for his country, so development is suspended for a while.
Another downside, is that the DOS side of his wrapper only works in Win9x. But his windows wrapper works fine in any windows.
The DOS wrapper is ran through a clever server, that runs in the background. When you run a DOS glide game, the server picks it up and routes it through your DirectX drivers. So you can use all the loverly AA and AF, to make your glide games look better than before.
Compatibility, is great. DOS games work a treat. And windows games work superbly. Even my beloved 'Outlaws' from Lucasarts, works superb.

http://dege.fw.hu/

Only downside for me, is that ATI's drivers, in WinME, are appalling for DOS Glide. Whenever a DOS session is closed, you are left with a complete graphical mess of your desktop. And a complete reboot is required.
Nvidia's drivers are fine, as I tested this on my old PC with a Ti4600.

Rob_0126
01-03-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
There are a couple of Glide wrappers worth mentioning.

Glidos, is a wrapper mostly for DOS glide games. It runs many of the old DOS glide games rather well, but it's shareware, and costs 10/$10.
In particular, is it's ability to run Tombraider 1, in a new "Hi-Res" state. It looks amazing, far superior to what it used to look like. It also comes with a windows GLIDE2X.DLL, which will work on many windows games.

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/_gfx/examples/sample_caves_03.jpg

http://www.glidos.net/

But the best of all of them is a wrapper called dgVoodoo, written by a guy from Hungary. Unfortunately, he is doing service for his country, so development is suspended for a while.
Another downside, is that the DOS side of his wrapper only works in Win9x. But his windows wrapper works fine in any windows.
The DOS wrapper is ran through a clever server, that runs in the background. When you run a DOS glide game, the server picks it up and routes it through your DirectX drivers. So you can use all the loverly AA and AF, to make your glide games look better than before.
Compatibility, is great. DOS games work a treat. And windows games work superbly. Even my beloved 'Outlaws' from Lucasarts, works superb.

http://dege.fw.hu/

Only downside for me, is that ATI's drivers, in WinME, are appalling for DOS Glide. Whenever a DOS session is closed, you are left with a complete graphical mess of your desktop. And a complete reboot is required.
Nvidia's drivers are fine, as I tested this on my old PC with a Ti4600.

Tomb Raider 1 came with those high res textures?

Robert

StealthHawk
01-04-04, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
Tomb Raider 1 came with those high res textures?

Robert

No. It was a restoration project.

Greg
01-04-04, 08:00 AM
I'm not being real helpful, but I used to own a S3 Savage4 card and I'm sure the driver came with a D3D Glide emulator. If that driver set is still floating around it could possibly be useful.

EciDemon
01-07-04, 05:23 AM
Creative used to have a glide wrapper for there 3dblaster cards (TNT 1 and 2, also savage I think) But they only worked on creative cards as the drivers checked what gfx card you have installed before the drivers were installed.
But then again, back when I used to have a Creative tnt 1 that wrapper didnt work good ... but still better then the rest of them.
After v1.2 I think those were discontinued anyways ....

sytaylor
01-07-04, 06:06 AM
evoodoo is pretty good as well