PDA

View Full Version : 5900SE card went bad?

ElderDruid
01-03-04, 08:58 AM
I was hoping that someone might have a suggestion on what happened to my eVGA 5900SE card last night. Here's the breakdown:

- The card had been working fine for the last week and a half
- Last night, into my third straight hour of Knights of the Old Republic, the computer freezes and I have to shut it down and restart
- After restarting, I see the BIOS screens and the Windows XP startup screen (you know, the one with blue bars moving left to right), but when it comes time to show the logon screen, I just get a blank screen
- I thought maybe something got corrupted in Windows, so I booted succesfully into safe mode and reinstalled the 53.03 dets. After rebooting and trying to load Windows normally, I get the same blank screen
- I replaced the 5900SE with my old Ti4200, and everything worked fine. Put the 5900SE back in, same problem.
- I brought the 5900SE into the office, and it works fine in my machine there

Since the 5900SE requires separate power, could this be a power issue? My machine at home has a 300W power supply, while my machine at the office has a 380W.

Anyone seen this before? Like I said, the card had been working fine in my home machine since I got it a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

kraigc
01-03-04, 09:06 AM
Maybe you werent getting enough amperage to the card..........

ElderDruid
01-03-04, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by kraigc
Maybe you werent getting enough amperage to the card..........

I'll have to try another power connector I suppose, but I'm wondering why all of a sudden.

Also, on my machine at the office, the LCD panel is only being driven at 60Hz, while my CRT at home is run at 100Hz. Could the card be broken from the standpoint that it won't drive higher frequencies anymore? Is that even possible?

ElderDruid
01-04-04, 12:54 PM
Here's an update on the problem. Could you please tell me what you think and what you would do next?

First, I'm testing my 5900SE at home and at the office. My home machine has an A7N8X (not 2.0 rev but just under), Athlon 2400, and my work machine has a rev 2.0 A7N8X, Athlon 2500. At home, I have a CRT that I run at 100Hz refresh, and at work I use an LCD running at 60Hz.

On my home machine, the 5900SE now allows me to boot into Windows XP, but I cannot run any games or benchmarks. The computer will basically just lockup, and then next time Windows is booted, I get a message saying that the nVidia drivers caused a problem. I have reinstalled the 53.03's, but the same problem occurs. I have another installation of XP on another drive in that machine, and I get the same problem.

When I replace the 5900SE in the home machine with my old 4200, everything works fine; games, benchmarks...not a hiccup.

When I test the 5900SE in my work machine, everything runs flawlessly.

So it would appear that perhaps there isn't a problem with the 5900SE card after all. But if there's a problem with another component in my home machine, why would the 4200 work fine?

Could it possibly be the fact that I have a 300W Antec power supply at home and a 380W at work? I tried disconnecting the power on the two CD/DVD drives in my home machine and retesting, but I get the same lockups/errors whenever I try to load a game.

I have tried using different power connectors (attached to different power cabled) on the 5900SE at home, but the same problems occur. If my power supply at home is going bad, wouldn't other devices be adversely affected as well?

I was going to return the video card to newegg for repair, but now I'm not so sure.

This is a very perplexing problem, and I would greatly appreciate some direction.

Thanks a lot.

kraigc
01-04-04, 02:19 PM
Unless you run your optical drives 24/7, disconnecting them wont make a difference. Get drivercleaner or detdestroyer from guru3d.com and run those. Completely re-install the drivers. If that doesnt work, run the driver removal tool of your choice again and do another Windows install.

ElderDruid
01-04-04, 04:35 PM
Unless you run your optical drives 24/7, disconnecting them wont make a difference. Get drivercleaner or detdestroyer from guru3d.com and run those. Completely re-install the drivers. If that doesnt work, run the driver removal tool of your choice again and do another Windows install.

Thanks. I tried that, and I still have the same problem. Windows XP fails to show a logon screen with the Dets installed, but I can boot into Safe Mode ok. After booting to safe mode, I get the message:

"The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check the device manufacturer for a driver update. The display driver for NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 seems to be responsible for the system instability."

Anyone seen this before? Even though the card works fine in my office machine, is it still possible I have a bad card?

kraigc
01-04-04, 06:14 PM
If it functions correctly on your work machine, I dont think the cards bad. Try booting into safe mode, use a driver removal tool, turn off machine, boot with windows cd and reinstall XP. Hopefully this should help.

ElderDruid
01-04-04, 06:17 PM
If it functions correctly on your work machine, I dont think the cards bad. Try booting into safe mode, use a driver removal tool, turn off machine, boot with windows cd and reinstall XP. Hopefully this should help.

I just tried reinstalling Windows XP from the ground up on my home machine, and after installing SP1 followed by the latest nForce drivers, the same problem occurs: at the point Windows should be showing the login screen, the monitor is blank. If I just let the machine sit there like that, after a minute or so, the machine will reboot itself.

Is it possible something's damaged on my A7N8X mobo? Perhaps just something related to AGP functions?

Thanks.

Richteralan
01-04-04, 09:40 PM
Did you tried with another power?
say not 300W but 380~400W?

Rogozhin
01-04-04, 11:17 PM
Power supplies take huge amounts of abuse-even more when they aren't running behind a power line conditioner-you might have fried your PS with a voltage spike or just everday usage.

My guess is the PS.

rogo

bkswaney
01-05-04, 01:07 AM
Try a new big name brand power supply.
You can pickup a Antec 350 watt for 50 bucks
to your door step.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=58&manufactory=1516&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

If that does not work I would say it's something
not getting along with the NF drivers.

In this case "if i were u" I would
check out hardforum and pickup
a diferent motherboard and switch it out.
Sell yours and only have to spend a little extra cash.

That's what I do when I run in to these kind of problems.