PDA

View Full Version : Question from a Nervous Overclocker

bagman
01-04-04, 12:49 AM
Hi there
I have a Albatron FX5900PV (400/850) and have been thinking of having a go at overclocking it.

I have read numerous posts about the dangers of overclocking and a couple of comments in particular have me a bit worried.
There seems to be a train of thought that even though your card is performing well after overclocking you may well be doing long term damage to the card and that eventually it will "die" on you.

I was thinking of maybe overclocking by about 10% to 450/950.
I was wondering what experience you guys have had with overclocking and this theory of damage to your card despite it appearing to work properly. Would my limit of 450/950 be ok ?
I have had it up to 432/890 without any apparent problems but after reading these long term damage comments have reverted to default speeds

Many thanks for your responses

cheers

SH0DAN
01-04-04, 01:24 AM
experiment,try 5% on the ram and gpu core,run some benchmarks.and look
for anomalies.see any ?? downclock the cards ram or gpu till none pop up.
don't see any up it a bit more repeat the benchmarking and continue...

good luck

kraigc
01-04-04, 09:16 AM
Most of us will probably upgrade our xcards before they would die from overclocking. Unless you plan to keep the card for a couple of years, I wouldnt worry about it killing itself from overclocking. And yes, 450/950 should be fine. I usually run mine about 500/975 and havent had any problems. Like Shodan said, crank up the clocks a bit, run a couple of benchmarks and look for anomalies.